Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 26 2008, 08:19 AM   #1
mswood
Rear Admiral

X-Files Bombs

Initial estimates for Friday's business is out.

http://news.fantasymoguls.com/origin...son/index.html

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/

"X-Files' manages only $5M Friday & targets just $12M by Monday."

While I figured this would perform poorly (say Nemesis opening numbers), this is even worse. Unless its a big hit overseas or huge hit on the home market, the franchise is dead

Last edited by mswood; July 26 2008 at 08:20 AM. Reason: spelling
mswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 08:24 AM   #2
Skywalker
Admiral

Re: X-Files Bombs

Any movie released the week after The Dark Knight was going to suffer. Sorry, X-Files fans.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 08:37 AM   #3
mswood
Rear Admiral

No question that the Dark Knight is taking a huge number of viewers.

What is shocking is that X-Files will be fourth for the week. That another opener will still manage an opening very close to what Fight the Future managed. That another film on its 25th day in release will beat it. Thats shocking.

Its not chocking that Mamma Mia will beat it since that film is targeting a separate gender and age group.

But that Hancock after nearly a month playing will beat it, WOW.
Old July 26 2008, 08:41 AM   #4
mswood
Rear Admiral

Oh, and these are preliminary estimates based on most of the day (but not all) and can be off. So the number might go up or down for Friday. And of course tomorrow will give a much more solid look at where the final weekend number will be. But at this stage I think an absolutely best would be 15 million and a low of 10 to 11 is also possible.

Nikki sources show a 4 million Friday and an estimate of 11 million for the weekend. Just yikes, really wanted it to do better. I mean I never expected a strong performance. But I was hoping for a US domestic total of 60 million.

But in comparison this isn't a Bomb on the scale of Meet Dave or Speed Racer both of which were huge financial investments.

But it really does signal that (at least in the US) there is no longer a viable market for a franchise of X-Files films.

Last edited by mswood; July 26 2008 at 08:47 AM.
mswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 08:44 AM   #5
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

It's not surprising considering the poor reviews it received. The X-Files was great as a television series, but sometimes series don't transfer well to the big screen. Plus, lousy timing with it being released a week after TDK. It's just been too long.

In other related news, mswood, Skinner will be playing Mary's father on Supernatural in the flashback episode. Thumbs up from me. Kim Manners being one of our directors really pays off with his connections.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 09:13 AM   #6
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

I'm not surprised either. I watched all seasons of the X-Files, Lone Gunmen, and saw the original film. I'm exactly the target audience they ought to have been trying to reach. And when I saw the trailer, my reaction was (after the initial surprise at Carter's franchise necromancy): "Damn, this looks boring." If you're going to have an X-Files feature film, make it about something big. Doesn't have to be conspiracy-related, but it needs to feel like an event, and not just an average episode filmed using a wider lens. If they couldn't get my butt to the theaters, who were they hoping to get?

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old July 26 2008, 09:48 AM   #7
grabmygoblin
Commodore

if this is the last we see of Mulder and Scully, then I'm fine with it. it was a nice send off, much better than what the series finale gave us.
Old July 26 2008, 10:18 AM   #8
DWF
Vice Admiral

Seeing as how low budget the movie is I don't think it'll bomb as badly as people thinks it will.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 10:25 AM   #9
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Trent Roman wrote: View Post
And when I saw the trailer, my reaction was (after the initial surprise at Carter's franchise necromancy): "Damn, this looks boring."
Bingo.

I'd been hoping there would be more to the film than what the ads were letting on, but from the summaries provided in the reviews, it doesn't sound like it.
Old July 26 2008, 10:47 AM   #10
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

DWF wrote: View Post
Seeing as how low budget the movie is I don't think it'll bomb as badly as people thinks it will.
The budget on it is what 30 or 35 million? It's somewhere in the low 30's IIRC.
Old July 26 2008, 12:02 PM   #11
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

On a purely empathic note, this is very sad. I know everyone involved with the film cared about their work and to have this tank probably makes them feel like they aren't appreciated anymore.

On a more forward looking note, this is also very sad. I was really hoping we'd get a third film that could finally bring resolution to the 2012 arc. Unfortunately, if the returns shape up the way people are predicting, that may never happen.
Old July 26 2008, 01:36 PM   #12
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Damn. Just damn. I had hoped it would get at least $20 million for the weekend. Hopefully the estimate is off a bit. I, too, had hoped that this movie would be successful enough to get the invasion movie by 2012 as Carter has said he would do if this one was successful enough.

Jack Bauer wrote: View Post
DWF wrote: View Post
The budget on it is what 30 or 35 million? It's somewhere in the low 30's IIRC.
The budget was $30 million.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 02:14 PM   #13
boushh
Rear Admiral

Ah well... It isn't surprising when the reviews are really crappy, I suppose. They'd be discouraging to the casual fans and non-fans. I hope the estimate is off...
boushh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 02:21 PM   #14
pookha
Admiral

View pookha's Twitter Profile

i wonder how much that line in the ad were sculley says that she and mulder dont work together any more hurt it.
to some people the pay off for the last two seasons is you saw them leave together./
a lot more people are going to be exposed to that ad/trailer then they will be the net were more is suspected about their relationship.

to me the last two years of x files just turned off a lot of the fans.
most of my friends had stopped watching it by then.

and then add on bad reviews.
Old July 26 2008, 02:30 PM   #15
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

How terribly disappointing.

My wife and I have been X-Philes for a long time, and we were really looking forward to this film.

We'll still go see it, but the reviews have been awful and the box office gross seems to confirm it.

Damn!

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote