Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old July 25 2008, 09:14 AM   #31
bok2384
Commander

View bok2384's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bok2384
Re: Where have all the ebooks gone?

Good news, they've finally got around to releasing Fearful Symmetry (at least on BooksOnBoard). Unfortunately, its only available for MobiPocket at the moment.

http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...54903&v=buynow
Old July 25 2008, 02:19 PM   #32
Brynthe2
Commander

KRAD wrote: View Post
As Defcon said, editorial has no control over these things, and eBooks tend to be at the bottom of the priority list, and the eBook department at S&S is small and overworked.
Thanks for the input KRAD. However, I have to say that's a shame that you all have no control over when your product will become available to those who are eagerly waiting to purchase it. As a consumer, is there anyone at Pocket, or Amazon or wherever, that I can talk to and express my concerns over this issue?
Brynthe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2008, 07:56 PM   #33
VanCardboardbox
Lieutenant Commander

Can I derail this thread for just a moment to proclaim my astonishment that there are people who do not know who Pete Seegar is? At least Phil Ochs is still remembered. Right? People...?

Meanwhile, back on topic, I am still mourning the loss of the CoE, and Trek e-book-only series in general. I think the only thing standing in the way of the e-book gaining wider acceptance is a quality $50.00 e-ink reader. That and solving the problem of

-Stuart Brand
VanCardboardbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2008, 11:11 PM   #34
ialfan
Fleet Captain

VanCardboardbox wrote: View Post
Can I derail this thread for just a moment to proclaim my astonishment that there are people who do not know who Pete Seegar is? At least Phil Ochs is still remembered. Right? People...?

Meanwhile, back on topic, I am still mourning the loss of the CoE, and Trek e-book-only series in general. I think the only thing standing in the way of the e-book gaining wider acceptance is a quality $50.00 e-ink reader. That and solving the problem of
I'd go as far as to say a sub-$200 ebook reader would make many more people jump ship as well as the the books being DRM free or having the DRM system totally redone.
ialfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 12:02 AM   #35
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

A good reader going for under 50$ would certainly be tempting to me. I don't particularly care about the DRM... I can be 'creative' when it comes to technology. I prefer physical books, but I've been thinking about the prospect of a handheld more since Christopher mentioned that some of the Trek series going for trade releases instead of the mass market format was part of a growing trend in the literary world. Portability is a big plus for me, and a reader definately wins out over bulky trades. If they do become a new standard over the next few years, I'll probably be doing a lot more electronic reading.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old July 26 2008, 12:31 AM   #36
Deano2099
Commander

I could even go for a £100 ($200) reader that came with say £50 of e-book vouchers if they could get some sort of system going.

On a related note, anyone curious what might happen with SCE once the paperback re-prints are finished? I mean they're clearly selling well enough to keep doing them, but is that only because they don't have the associated costs of paying the authors as it's already written? Or might the line continue in dead tree form when we're caught up in a couple of years?
Deano2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 01:34 AM   #37
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

Deano2099 wrote: View Post
On a related note, anyone curious what might happen with SCE once the paperback re-prints are finished? I mean they're clearly selling well enough to keep doing them, but is that only because they don't have the associated costs of paying the authors as it's already written? Or might the line continue in dead tree form when we're caught up in a couple of years?
It's only because the stories are written and paid for, and otherwise just sitting around gathering cybernetic dust. It's cheaper to reprint these stories than to go out and commission new stories.

That said, if sales were such to indicate a growing audience and a continuing interest in the adventures of the da Vinci team, the line could certainly be revived in one form or another.
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 03:46 AM   #38
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

Deano2099 wrote: View Post
The earliest that will happen is 2011, so we're not really thinking about it just yet.

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2008, 12:28 AM   #39
Rosalind
TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod

VanCardboardbox wrote: View Post
Meanwhile, back on topic, I am still mourning the loss of the CoE, and Trek e-book-only series in general. I think the only thing standing in the way of the e-book gaining wider acceptance is a quality $50.00 e-ink reader. That and solving the problem of ...issues related to DRM protection.
I have no problem with the way ereader does their DRM protection, my main problem with the readers is they don't allow for any format of ebook to be read. and, yeah, they are currently too expensive.
Rosalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2008, 04:28 PM   #40
JWolf
Commodore

SAS wrote: View Post
Trent that was well done.

As for the ebooks, at least you used to be able to buy them, there are no stores in the UK that sell Trek Ebooks. And getting them from fictionwise cost more due to currency converstions.
Actually, due to the currency conversion, would the eBooks at Fictionwise or BooksOnBoard should cost less.
Old July 27 2008, 04:38 PM   #41
JWolf
Commodore

The followling list are the latest Star Trek books to be released via simonsays.com. I do have to say that I am rather disappointed on how long it's taking for the new Star trek eBooks to be released after the pBooks have been released. Heck, I could do the job of formatting the eBooks if S&S would like to hire me.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Fearful Symmetry
http://www.simonsays.com/content/boo...=9781416570349

Star Trek: Terok Nor: Day of the Vipers
http://www.simonsays.com/content/boo...=9781416591764

Star Trek: Terok Nor: Night of the Wolves
http://www.simonsays.com/content/boo...=9781416591771

Star Trek: Terok Nor: Dawn of the Eagles
http://www.simonsays.com/content/boo...=9781416599050
Old July 28 2008, 06:16 PM   #42
sparky99
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looks like those are all (finally) available.

Woo-hoo for Fearful Symmetry! Boo-hoo for the delay.
sparky99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2008, 09:00 AM   #43
JWolf
Commodore

Seems once again there is a delay on getting out the eBooks for the new releases.
Old July 29 2008, 01:39 PM   #44
sparky99
Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK...Now I'm totally confused. When I made my previous post (just above) I had JUST PURCHASED three of the four books that JWolf had listed links for. I currently have Fearful Symmetry, Night of Wolves, and Dawn of Eagles on my PDA.

Now JWolf's links point to pages that don't have a "purchase" link.

If you go here: http://www.simonsays.com/content/ene...rfull&Dn=23424 there are links to add Fearful Symmetry to your cart, but they don't work. Nothing shows up in your cart.

What the (bleep) is going on over at S&S.com?

Glad I got them when I did!
sparky99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2008, 09:32 PM   #45
JWolf
Commodore

For some reason, the links to the eBooks no longer work and it even says on the home page that Star Trek: Myriad Universes: Infinity's Prism is available. I wonder what's wrong with the website??