Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 24 2008, 04:44 AM   #316
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Re: The Dark Knight Megathread (USE THIS! Love, the mods)

I believe in "The Dark Knight"
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2008, 05:07 AM   #317
Aragorn
Admiral

Titanic has nothing to worry about. The Dark Knight doesn't exactly inspire teenage girls to go see it over and over and over and over again going, "I love you Leo!"
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2008, 05:12 AM   #318
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Titanic has nothing to worry about. The Dark Knight doesn't exactly inspire teenage girls to go see it over and over and over and over again going, "I love you Leo!"
If it did, I would be kind of really afraid.
Old July 24 2008, 06:50 AM   #319
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Far more likely "I love you Christian!"

Seriously. A female friend that I went with would not stop talking about how hot she thinks Christian Bale is.
Old July 24 2008, 08:51 AM   #320
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

Sure...recast the Joker. The next time they reboot the Batman films. Ledger did such a great job that he'd overshadow just about any actor taking over. Besides we got a great Joker story...now we need another great story about other Batman villains.
Old July 24 2008, 10:32 AM   #321
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Yeah I just don't think theres any way someone else could follow Ledger at this point. I think we should just be satisfied that he survived the film, and knowing that theres still the chance he might escape at some future date beyond the scope of the films.

I'd love to see more of Two face. Trouble is, he'd need some larger motivation to carry on with his crime career.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2008, 11:28 AM   #322
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
I highly doubt repeat viewings made up all that much of Titanic's business.
Old July 24 2008, 01:50 PM   #323
nx1701g
Admiral

^ Um I was a preteen during the Titanic reign. I know people that saw it 20+ times. That is not an embellishment or a made up figure. One of my friends in middle school saw Titanic 27 times herself (that's an actual figure) when I finally relented and went to see it. A girl that I sat next to in my first showing said it was her 12th viewing. My cousin (who was a teacher at the time) said that they had girls talking about that film (and DiCaprio) like he was the second coming of Jesus and there were contests to see who had seen the movie the most times.

Note: I only saw Titanic once in a theatre.
Old July 24 2008, 02:14 PM   #324
Neroon
Mod of balance

Consider that "Titanic" was roughly 40 minutes longer than TDK, I would guess it had fewer timeslots in which it could be played. That makes its eventual overall box office take all the more impressive, implying that there really were plenty of repeat viewings.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2008, 09:06 PM   #325
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

nx1701g wrote: View Post
^ Um I was a preteen during the Titanic reign. I know people that saw it 20+ times. That is not an embellishment or a made up figure. One of my friends in middle school saw Titanic 27 times herself (that's an actual figure) when I finally relented and went to see it. A girl that I sat next to in my first showing said it was her 12th viewing. My cousin (who was a teacher at the time) said that they had girls talking about that film (and DiCaprio) like he was the second coming of Jesus and there were contests to see who had seen the movie the most times.

Note: I only saw Titanic once in a theatre.
I'm not saying people didn't see it multiple times -I saw 4 or 5 times- just that I doubt it had that much repeat business to propell it so much into the stratosphere of business. It could very well be that it was a very good movie and people went and saw it for their first time week after week.
Old July 24 2008, 09:12 PM   #326
Smiley
Rear Admiral

Obviously, Titanic appealed to more than teenage girls. Otherwise, teen movies or other movies starring DiCaprio would have cleaned up much more at the box office.

I can see The Dark Knight breaking $400 million, but it will be a challenge to reach $500 million domestically. Personally, I don't think it will happen.
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2008, 09:20 PM   #327
davejames
Vice Admiral

Smiley wrote: View Post
Obviously, Titanic appealed to more than teenage girls. Otherwise, teen movies or other movies starring DiCaprio would have cleaned up much more at the box office.

I can see The Dark Knight breaking $400 million, but it will be a challenge to reach $500 million domestically. Personally, I don't think it will happen.
Well the fact it was a love story featuring DiCaprio probably helped. And no it wasn't just teenage girls, but certainly the main driving force behind it's success was women.

Titanic is one of those movies I actually really LIKED (and thought was right up there with Cameron's best work)... until it became a huge, annoying "phenomenon" that you just couldn't escape. That sappy Celine Dion song finally ruined it forever for me.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2008, 10:46 AM   #328
biotech
Vice Admiral

Does Gordon know? Spoilers for TDK

I'm just wondering after the lamborghini crash scene, if Gordon didnt figure out Bruce and Batman are one and the same, especially after he already heard Batman say he was going after Racheal when he only had time to save one.

Hell as good a detective as he is, he probably figured it out long before then.
biotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2008, 11:14 AM   #329
Skywalker
Admiral

Re: Does Gordon know? Spoilers for TDK

Gordon doesn't strike me as the kind of person who follows or even cares about what Bruce Wayne does. He probably doesn't even know Bruce Wayne and Rachel Dawes were childhood friends, so I don't know how he'd make any connection there.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2008, 01:59 PM   #330
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: Does Gordon know? Spoilers for TDK

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Gordon doesn't strike me as the kind of person who follows or even cares about what Bruce Wayne does. He probably doesn't even know Bruce Wayne and Rachel Dawes were childhood friends, so I don't know how he'd make any connection there.
I actually liked that Gordon had a scene with Wayne. We don't get that often but it's nice to see the two interact, since Gordon mostly deals with Batman. And after all, in Nolan's 'verse, Gordon met Bruce as a child so it was nice to see Gordon see Bruce again as an adult.