A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 271 79.47%
Above Average 46 13.49%
Average 17 4.99%
Below Average 2 0.59%
Poor 5 1.47%
Voters: 341. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 24 2008, 01:40 AM   #586
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
^ Do we know that she knew that it was Batman that saved Harvey? i don't remember everything about the scene.
It was difficult to pinpoint what exactly Rachel knew, but I suspect she realized once Batman found out that he would try and save either or both.
Old July 24 2008, 01:40 AM   #587
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

She wouldn't know because all that was said, was lots of "Why?!?", "No!!", and something along the lines of "Why me?!?". There was no names mentioned.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2008, 01:42 AM   #588
Agent Richard07
Admiral

At the beginning of the movie there were a number of Batman imitators. They made their own costumes and had their own equipment and weapons. Is Bruce really different than these guys? I was thinking probably not. Aside from taking the time to train himself, he's just richer and can afford better equipment.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2008, 01:44 AM   #589
Agent Richard07
Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
^ Do we know that she knew that it was Batman that saved Harvey? i don't remember everything about the scene.
It was difficult to pinpoint what exactly Rachel knew, but I suspect she realized once Batman found out that he would try and save either or both.
Of course she didn't know that Batman found out did she?
Old July 24 2008, 01:52 AM   #590
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

At the beginning of the movie there were a number of Batman imitators. They made their own costumes and had their own equipment and weapons. Is Bruce really different than these guys? I was thinking probably not. Aside from taking the time to train himself, he's just richer and can afford better equipment.
Thus Batman's line of "I'm not wearing hockey pads". I thought the copycat sub-plot was going to be featured more, but I think it worked within the confines of the plot.
Old July 24 2008, 01:53 AM   #591
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Of course she didn't know that Batman found out did she?
She guessed?
Old July 24 2008, 02:00 AM   #592
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

Well, he's not running around with guns trying to kill people. In fact, he's trying to avoid killing folks.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2008, 02:06 AM   #593
Shatmandu
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
I've always thought Nicholson's take was severly underrated by the fans, but I gotta agree it looks hammy as HELL next to what Ledger did with it.
Nicholson's Joker was "Hey, look at ME! I'm ACTING!"

Like just about everything the guy's done in 25-30 years.

Joe, not a fan
Shatmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2008, 02:06 AM   #594
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
Well, he's not running around with guns trying to kill people. In fact, he's trying to avoid killing folks.
Which is why I thought it might have been more appropriate for Batman to say something along the lines of "Because I don't need guns" or somesuch rather than the "hockey pads" comment.
Old July 24 2008, 02:12 AM   #595
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
Which is why I thought it might have been more appropriate for Batman to say something along the lines of "Because I don't need guns" or somesuch rather than the "hockey pads" comment.
Except what he was expressing to the imitators was about their protection, which was his main concern.

This was one of the few superhero movies where I didn't feel like rolling my eyes at a single line. If he'd said, "Because I don't need guns" at that part, they'd have rolled out of my head.
Old July 24 2008, 02:19 AM   #596
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

One of the things I didn't like about the movie was how Harvey Dent's fall from grace was treated by Batman & Gordon as such a catastrophe in terms of their fight against organized crime. Like, if any of the public ever saw the slightest tarnish on Dent's reputation, it would throw the masses into such despair that they would never recover. I didn't like that they seem to hold so little regard for the people of Gotham that they need to be lied to just so that they'll go along with the right thing.

For that matter, I wouldn't think it was Dent's incorruptible reputation that made him so unique but rather his fearlessness. Like Gordon said in Batman Begins, what they really needed was a D.A. brave enough to prosecute without fear of mob reprisals. In that respect, it doesn't really matter how Dent died. The fact that he died at all is what might terrorize the people into submission to the mob again.
Old July 24 2008, 02:29 AM   #597
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
One of the things I didn't like about the movie was how Harvey Dent's fall from grace was treated by Batman & Gordon as such a catastrophe in terms of their fight against organized crime. Like, if any of the public ever saw the slightest tarnish on Dent's reputation, it would throw the masses into such despair that they would never recover. I didn't like that they seem to hold so little regard for the people of Gotham that they need to be lied to just so that they'll go along with the right thing.
Well, that's kind of true about politicians and public servants. One little speck of imperfection and one's career is completely ruined. Batman & Gordon were determined to make sure Dent's image was not tarnished in the view of Gotham, even if that meant sacrificing...which was the whole point of Batman's ultimate sacrifice at the end. He was the hero that Gotham needed him to be at that moment, the hero that Dent could never be but the hero that Gotham should remember. If the public knew of what Dent did, it would tarnish the spirits of Gotham more than anything.

For that matter, I wouldn't think it was Dent's incorruptible reputation that made him so unique but rather his fearlessness. Like Gordon said in Batman Begins, what they really needed was a D.A. brave enough to prosecute without fear of mob reprisals. In that respect, it doesn't really matter how Dent died. The fact that he died at all is what might terrorize the people into submission to the mob again.
Actually, I believe it was Batman who said that to Gordon on his first night out. Dent's death was tragic, but often public figures are remembered more after their death. It's sort of the same situation in Insomnia. Ellie was going to safeguard Dormer's reputation but he didn't want his reputation restored. He could have died a hero cop but he didn't want Ellie to lose her way, so he would sacrifice his reputation in order to do the right thing.

Batman & Gordon were in some respects sacrificing themselves so that Dent's reputation could be remembered as a hero rather than as a villain, which ties into Dent's line exactly -- "You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain". Batman & Gordon didn't want Gotham to see Dent as the villain. They wanted Gotham to see him as the hero.
Old July 24 2008, 02:30 AM   #598
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

It was more that if his reputation was tranished it'd give the mob guy's defense a lot of leverage to call his credibility into question on arresting and prosecuting the mob guys possibly ruining all of their efforts.
Old July 24 2008, 02:34 AM   #599
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Dent's reputation is already tarnished. There are people out there who have seen his bad side (no pun intended). What if word gets around?
Old July 24 2008, 02:35 AM   #600
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Dent's reputation is already tarnished. There are people out there who have seen his bad side (no pun intended). What if word gets around?
Who, though? One of Joker's demented goons? That's pretty much it. Anyone who Dent came across as Two-Face was pretty much killed on-site, besides perhaps Ramirez, who was corrupt and is likely going to prison anyway.