RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,690
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 798
Newest member: Stevie Trek

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 21 2008, 08:50 PM   #91
Vegeta
Fleet Captain

Re: Top Gear New Series

Hermiod wrote: View Post
I struggle to contend with why anyone would by a car with a manual gearbox when surely an automatic is easier.
Sure an automatic is easier, but you have more control and options when you use a manual gearbox. You can shift into a lower gear to get more power/acceleration. In an automatic you have to stomp on the gas to get it to shift into a lower gear and then hope it doesn't shift right back when you take your foot off the floor.

Plus drive a manual is more fun and possible more fuel effiecent.
Old July 21 2008, 08:55 PM   #92
John Clark
Commodore

For me, I learned to drive in a manual, and that's what I'm used to. Driving an automatic just feels slightly odd. Every time I've driven one, I keep wanting to press the clutch in and reach for the gearstick. One of my mates on the other hand (after driving a manual for 17 years) has gone to automatic and prefers it.
Old July 21 2008, 09:05 PM   #93
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

I struggle to contend with why anyone would by a car with a manual gearbox when surely an automatic is easier.
You'll find that pretty much the only people who bang the drum for automatics (in the UK) are:

a) Idiots who can't drive properly

b) The disabled

c) Americans

Now there's a good reason for (c), and I don't mean it in an insulting way. They tend to have better weather and straighter, flatter roads. They generally don't need the level of control that a manual gives you.

But over here in blighty, where we have things like roundabouts, fucking steep hills, windy narrow roads and a 99% percent chance of torrential rain every 5 minutes, manual transmission comes into its own. Sometimes you want to keep it in a lower gear in the above situations. In fact, quite often.

There are advantages to both, but frankly automatics are a waste of time in the UK. They're expensive to buy and repair, they're generally more expensive to run and if you don't have the mental capacity to operate two pedals at once then you really shouldn't be on the road in the first place (not that it fucking stops some bastards).
Old July 21 2008, 09:24 PM   #94
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Vegeta wrote: View Post
Plus drive a manual is more fun and possible more fuel effiecent.
Considering the people most likely to harp on about autos vs. manuals drive rather...how shall we say...enthusiastically, the fuel savings of 1-2 mpg gets wiped out a good chunk of the time.
Old July 21 2008, 09:25 PM   #95
Hermiod
Admiral

Those of you have answered, please disregard my comment. It was just meant to express my lack of knowledge about cars rather than a preference.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2008, 09:28 AM   #96
The Squire of Gothos
Rear Admiral

I caught some of Sunday's show on catch up TV, the expensive car challenge wasn't bad, but felt a bit lacking. Most of the challanges have felt a bit scripted and less like you're watching some guys arsing about. Japan made up for a lot of that, but the new series is lacking somewhat compared to the last few.
Old July 22 2008, 10:55 AM   #97
jongredic
Fleet Captain

The Squire of Gothos wrote: View Post
I caught some of Sunday's show on catch up TV, the expensive car challenge wasn't bad, but felt a bit lacking. Most of the challanges have felt a bit scripted and less like you're watching some guys arsing about. Japan made up for a lot of that, but the new series is lacking somewhat compared to the last few.
I'd agree with that... the level of scripting has become too obvious now, and it's starting to be at the cost of the show's quality.

I still prefer this format of the show to how it used to be, but at least review a couple of cars, eh? I might even learn something!

Just to fan the flames of manual vs automatic - manual is way more fun, there's nothing like leaving your car in gear when you park up, forgetting about it, stalling, and throwing everyone against the windscreen.

You've got to admire our love of the complicated - we drive on the other side of the road to most countries, we sell petrol in litres and work out efficiency in miles per gallon, we have bridge clearances in feet and inches, then hit you in the face with metric when you get to a car park barrier, and to get to the barrier, you have to scream up the bloody steep hills/ramps MisterGaribaldi mentioned in first gear... you know, I wouldn't change it for the world
Old July 22 2008, 11:21 AM   #98
Hermiod
Admiral

As I said, the comment about automatics vs manuals was a self-deprecating comment to illustrate my complete lack of knowledge about cars. It wasn't supposed to start a religious war.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2008, 11:42 AM   #99
The Squire of Gothos
Rear Admiral

jongredic wrote: View Post
You've got to admire our love of the complicated - we drive on the other side of the road to most countries
Ah, but look at the Nissan GTR, the ultimate car in the world and it's built by people who drive on the same side of the road as we do
Old July 22 2008, 12:09 PM   #100
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

As I said, the comment about automatics vs manuals was a self-deprecating comment to illustrate my complete lack of knowledge about cars. It wasn't supposed to start a religious war.
But but but I WANT a religious war with automatards. Your innocuous comment serves perfectly as the catalyst
Old July 22 2008, 12:17 PM   #101
Bob The Skutter
Admiral

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

MisterGaribaldi wrote: View Post
But but but I WANT a religious war with automatards. Your innocuous comment serves perfectly as the catalyst
How do you stand on flappy-paddle, and semi-autos in general?
Old July 22 2008, 12:25 PM   #102
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

Both are abominations in the eyes of the one true manual stickshift.

Honestly though I have no idea. I gather they're preferable for supercars (doesn't the Buggati Veyron have one?) but I don't know if that's accurate or why that would be. Maybe sequential gearing is just easier at those sorts of speeds?
Old July 22 2008, 12:32 PM   #103
Bob The Skutter
Admiral

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

MisterGaribaldi wrote: View Post
Both are abominations in the eyes of the one true manual stickshift.

Honestly though I have no idea. I gather they're preferable for supercars (doesn't the Buggati Veyron have one?) but I don't know if that's accurate or why that would be. Maybe sequential gearing is just easier at those sorts of speeds?
Well, Clarkson doesn't seem too enamoured of them. But, not being able to drive myself, apart from one or two lessons when I was 16, I think automatic is just lazy, and the the engine sounding like it was over-revving annoyed me, so count me in on your holy war for the One True Manual.
Old July 22 2008, 12:39 PM   #104
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

Well, Clarkson doesn't seem too enamoured of them.
Ah, they must be a Belgian invention.
Old July 23 2008, 03:30 AM   #105
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Finally saw the episode last night. That was bloody fantastic. Coupled with the bullet train race episode, these two episodes are easily up there with the best of Top Gear. The fact that they both focused on the GT-R also didn't hurt any--I was a nonbeliever at first, but that car's SERIOUSLY impressive.

I was concerned that Clarkson was really going to hurt himself between his neck injury in the GT-R (which I don't think was faked; if it was, he's sure got his injured schtick down like no one else) and bumping his head several times in the foxmobile. Guy's not exactly a spring chicken and we know he's had back problems in the past (as mentioned on the show numerous times).

Oh, and best line of the night courtesy of James May: "Die like Elvis trying to get 500 cheeseburgers out of your poop chute!"