Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 271 79.47%
Above Average 46 13.49%
Average 17 4.99%
Below Average 2 0.59%
Poor 5 1.47%
Voters: 341. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 19 2008, 06:48 PM   #241
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Re: The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

The bigger focus in that scene had to be on Dent and his anguish over being the one that was rescued. And Batman may have shown some surprise offscreen, but there would be no reason for him to not jump into action. It may not have been Rachael, but Dent was just as important to Batman, just for different reasons.
Old July 19 2008, 07:07 PM   #242
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Right. He was there and he wasn't going to leave Dent. He probably registered a mental "oh, shit!" and got down to business.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 07:58 PM   #243
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post

Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
Oldman was amazing in this role, rock solid, at last the Jim Gordon that's always been needed in the movies and never before seen. He so wonderfully embodies the quiet hero - I love his line to Dent early on about how he "Doesn't get political points for idealism. I have to do the best I can with what I've got." His scene with Berg in the car, with his family as they're threatened by Two-Face, his fierce protectiveness of Batman in the beginning and the way he challenges him at the end - he was masterful.
Don't forget the way he appears torn inside as he yells that he has to save Harvey. Even before Dent takes his family and Gordon sees Harvey's psychosis, he knows he's failed Harvey and he can't take it. In a film with so many powerful performances, I think Oldman's was my personal favorite.
Poor Bale is getting no love and that's a shame because he was powerful in the way he nailed every facet of Bruce Wayne's complicated personality. I was reflecting on what an incredible arrogant asshole his public Bruce Wayne was (he even comes off as an insincere ass when he's praising Harvey at the party), and what a contrast that was with the intense but charming and funny private Bruce. Add on top of that what was probably the scariest Batman ever seen on film - he was a tour de force, but because the character he's playing is so much more tightly controlled and everything is happening inside him rather than being acted out in the way Joker does, the more flamboyant performances are getting all the praise. His quiet despair over Rachel's death, the tiny tremble in his voice when he speaks to Alfred about it - that was fantastic, even the way he portrayed his escalating loss of control when interrogating Joker - man, when he goes and gets the chair to block the door and Gordon goes running out of the room, I was cringing in my chair.
Old July 19 2008, 08:26 PM   #244
Endymion
Captain

View Endymion's Twitter Profile

My review is right here...

http://moveitmoveit.wordpress.com
Old July 19 2008, 09:12 PM   #245
Pro Populo
Rear Admiral

I saw it this morning and was completely blown away. I expected it to be good, and the reviews had all backed it up to this point, but I didn't expect to be as floored as I was. If I had to say one negative thing about the movie, it would be that the whole Hong Kong side trip was unnecessary and that they could have tightened up the whole "Mafia money trail" aspect of the story a little bit more, but that's kind of a minor complaint. It still worked well enough.

The opening bank robbery sequence was incredible -- the favorable comparisons to Heat are deserved. The hype about Ledger's performance is definitely earned as well. But I do think that the unsung hero of the whole film is Gary Oldman as Gordon. He, more than Bruce Wayne, is the story's heart, I think. I don't want to sell anyone else short, because the cast were all very good to excellent, but if Ledger gets a Best Supporting Actor nomination, then so should Oldman. He completely sells every moment he's in.

I didn't know that Dent would bite it in the end -- I sort of figured they'd leave him around for the next one. But his story was wrapped up well enough that I'm not complaining. As for who should be in the next one -- well, I don't think they should necessarily go for the classic Batman rogues' gallery again (i.e. Riddler, Penguin, etc.). But I would like to see some version of Catwoman as a romantic foil for Bruce/Bats (especially after losing Rachel in this one), and think that she can definitely be done right by Nolan. Especially to atone for that Halle Berry monstrosity.
Pro Populo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 09:19 PM   #246
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

I watched it yesterday, and I was too much in shock to even post here right afterwards.

This movie fucking blew up my expectations with a nuclear bomb and took the ashes and pissed upon it, then created a new civilization with that piss/ash mixture and traveled to the stars. This movie ROCKED!!! I never thought any movie in this world could be so damn amazing, and this movie just nailed every bit of fun factor with seriousness in the most perfect form imaginable. Every actor was amazing for the job, and Heath Ledger's Joker was the best Joker yet! The movie had surprises aplenty and the pacing was absolutely delightful.

BEST. GODDAMN. BATMAN. MOVIE. EVER!
StarTrek1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 09:58 PM   #247
Johnny Rico
Rear Admiral

View Johnny Rico's Twitter Profile

Brolan wrote: View Post
Johnny Rico wrote: View Post
All I wanna know from those who have seen it is, Does the Bat suit have nipples???
No.
Oh darn...I was hoping for another 10 years of Batsuit nipple jokes.
Johnny Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 11:30 PM   #248
DWF
Vice Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post

Oldman was amazing in this role, rock solid, at last the Jim Gordon that's always been needed in the movies and never before seen. He so wonderfully embodies the quiet hero - I love his line to Dent early on about how he "Doesn't get political points for idealism. I have to do the best I can with what I've got." His scene with Berg in the car, with his family as they're threatened by Two-Face, his fierce protectiveness of Batman in the beginning and the way he challenges him at the end - he was masterful.
Don't forget the way he appears torn inside as he yells that he has to save Harvey. Even before Dent takes his family and Gordon sees Harvey's psychosis, he knows he's failed Harvey and he can't take it. In a film with so many powerful performances, I think Oldman's was my personal favorite.
Poor Bale is getting no love and that's a shame because he was powerful in the way he nailed every facet of Bruce Wayne's complicated personality. I was reflecting on what an incredible arrogant asshole his public Bruce Wayne was (he even comes off as an insincere ass when he's praising Harvey at the party), and what a contrast that was with the intense but charming and funny private Bruce. Add on top of that what was probably the scariest Batman ever seen on film - he was a tour de force, but because the character he's playing is so much more tightly controlled and everything is happening inside him rather than being acted out in the way Joker does, the more flamboyant performances are getting all the praise. His quiet despair over Rachel's death, the tiny tremble in his voice when he speaks to Alfred about it - that was fantastic, even the way he portrayed his escalating loss of control when interrogating Joker - man, when he goes and gets the chair to block the door and Gordon goes running out of the room, I was cringing in my chair.
I agree Christian Bale seemed to be overshadowed by the other actors around but he did an excellent in his own right and he's such a good actor that he really didn't seem to bother him since he knew it made the film that much better.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 11:43 PM   #249
Crusher Disciple
Admiral

View Crusher Disciple's Twitter Profile

Loved it. And I can't wait to see it again.

...if I can get a ticket.

If Ledger doesn't get an Oscar nomination, there's no justice in this world.
Old July 20 2008, 12:14 AM   #250
flavaflav
Commander

Above average.

It's a great flick, and certainly met my expectations, but doesn't come anywhere near the hype. Heath is awesome as the Joker, and was way better than I thought he'd be. Gordon is the frickin man. Had more detective work than the last one which I was happy about, but it needs more on Batman's part if there is a 3rd flick. Bale & Caine are kick ass once again.

Some gripes. First, the music was terrible. The composer needs to be replaced. I was about to fall asleep during the entire flick cause it was so bad. This is the first time a score has ever bored me to tears this much. Next, Bale's Batman voice is so frickin gay. Every time Batsy opens his mouth I was about to laugh my ass off cause he sounds so dumb. While the first half of the flick is well paced, the second half was pretty boring. Not saying it was too long, maybe it was poor editing. It just really dragged for that last half. The ending was also bleh and seemed really stupid to me (the whole Batsy on the run thing for murder, just dumb and made no sense no matter how you slice it).

I wish there was a rating between above average and excellent. I really liked the flick, but it's tough to not be hard on the movie when it got so much unwarranted hype. Still, much better than the first, but not on the level of Iron Man, mostly because it wasn't nearly as fun. Anyhoo, I can't wait to see it in Imax next
flavaflav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2008, 12:16 AM   #251
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Ledger really made the film. A hero is only as good as his villain, and Ledger's Joker isn't just scary as hell, he's INTERESTING. We *want* to see him and what he'll do next, and he scares the daylights out of us at the same time.

It just makes me all the more angry that someone so gifted could die in such a remarkably moronic way. What a waste.
Old July 20 2008, 12:49 AM   #252
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I just got back from seeing it again. The movie is just as awesome the second time as it was the first. Also it allowed me to pick up on more things.

My only problem, still, is that I don't like Bale's Batman voice and I don't think it is entirely his fault it sounds like it's being heavly tweaked in post.

It's just too much, too strong, and too intense. It's something that really, really, REALLY needs to be fixed. I will agree, though, that Bale is a very good Batman/Bruce otherwise.

It's also interesting to me the movie has no opening credits sequence or title card. Something I think is important for a movie to have but oh well. Someone above also mentioned how the score lacks in this movie and I agree with that too. Honesly, I don't even remember it and I couldn't even begin to tell you what this Batman's "theme" is.
Old July 20 2008, 12:56 AM   #253
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Someone above also mentioned how the score lacks in this movie and I agree with that too.
I didn't mind the vacuum cleaner sound they used. It was effective places.
Honesly, I don't even remember it and I couldn't even begin to tell you what this Batman's "theme" is.
It plays over the trailers and the closing credits. It should be pretty familiar by now.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2008, 01:40 AM   #254
nx1701g
Admiral

Brolan wrote: View Post
All I wanna know from those who have seen it is, Does the Bat suit have nipples???
No.
Oh darn...I was hoping for another 10 years of Batsuit nipple jokes.
One was presented to Bale as a joke early in production though. He knew it wasn't real because he'd seen the preliminary design drawings.
Old July 20 2008, 02:33 AM   #255
Pro Populo
Rear Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Someone above also mentioned how the score lacks in this movie and I agree with that too.
I didn't mind the vacuum cleaner sound they used. It was effective places.
Honesly, I don't even remember it and I couldn't even begin to tell you what this Batman's "theme" is.
It plays over the trailers and the closing credits. It should be pretty familiar by now.
The thing about the score is that the sound Danny Elfman introduced in the first Burton film stuck with the franchise through two movies and the animated series and (to a certain extent) Elliott Goldenthal's scores for the two Schumacher movies. That sound being the big, orchestral, quasi-gothic opera sound. And it worked for those versions.

But for Nolan's much more grittier take, it just wouldn't fly. As much as I love Danny Elfman's score, put it over Batman Begins and The Dark Knight and it just would not fit at all. And personally, while I'm not the world's biggest fan of Hans Zimmer and his often overprocessed sound, I do like quite a bit of his stuff, and while his scores with James Newton Howard for Begins and Knight are not the most listenable on their own, I think they work pretty well in the movies. They're not as interested in making a big heroic theme as they are in setting a mood, and for the Nolan Batfilms, that works. Particularly in Knight.

Personally, I would have preferred a more orchestral, less manufactured score. Especially if James Newton Howard had done it on his own. But I will defend Nolan and the composers' choices in this case, because like I said, in my opinion it works.
Pro Populo is offline   Reply With Quote