Re: Freeware Windows Applications
Graphics Design & Editing
Screen Capture Applications
- @icon sushi - an icon convert tool that supports the mask editor and the creation of Windows XP 32bit icons.
- Avery Design Pro Limited - Customize and print professional looking labels, cards, dividers and more in minutes. -
- Blender - the open source software for 3D modeling, animation, rendering, post-production, interactive creation and playback.
- Dogwaffle - A program designed for creative individuals who want to get down and dirty with their pixels (Scroll to the bottom of the page for free version). -
- Dup Detector - will scan pictures within a file (including subfolders) and present potential duplicates for deletion. -
- Easy Thumbnails - can resize your pictures physically either larger or smaller, or you can keep the physical size and downgrade the quality
- FastStone Image Viewer - An image browser, converter and editor that supports all major graphic formats including BMP, JPEG, JPEG 2000, GIF, PNG, PCX, TIFF, WMF, ICO and TGA. -
- FastStone Photo Resizer - An image converter / resizer intended to enable users especially digital camera owners to convert, rename, resize, crop, rotate, change color depth, add text and watermark to images in a quick and easy BATCH mode. -
- Gimp - " GIMP is an acronym for GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed program for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring."
- Google Picasa - Locate, edit, add effects, and share your photos -
- Google SketchUp - a deceptively simple, amazingly powerful tool for creating, viewing, and modifying 3D ideas quickly and easily. -
- Icon Snatcher - "This one can pull icons from your own files to use to customize your folders." -
- ImageForge - Create and edit images, acquire pictures from your scanner, digital camera or other Twain-compliant device, apply special effect filters, produce your own photo albums and simple slide shows, and much more. -
- Image Resizer - gives you the ability to resize an image/picture in 2 clicks, by adding the option to the Context Menu. -
- Inkscape - an Open Source vector graphics editor, with capabilities similar to Illustrator, Freehand, CorelDraw, or Xara X using the W3C standard Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) file format. A powerful and convenient drawing tool fully compliant with XML, SVG, and CSS standards. -
- IrfanView - "IrfanView is a very fast, small, compact and innovative FREEWARE (for non-commercial use) graphic viewer for Windows 9x/ME/NT/2000/XP/2003." -
- Paint.NET - image and photo manipulation software designed to be used on computers that run Windows 2000, XP, Vista, or Server 2003. It supports layers, unlimited undo, special effects, and a wide variety of useful and powerful tools. -
- Photobie - a free image editing software with multilayer support. Photobie is customized for photo editing.
- PhotoPlus 6 - image editing software that enables you to create, manipulate and enhance photographs, bitmap graphics and web animations. (Registration Required) -
- Picture Resizer - An easy-to-use tool for batch resizing of JPG pictures and photos. -
- Pixia -"Pixia is the English version of a popular Japanese painting and retouch software for full color graphics. It supports mask, layer and many other editing functions." -
- SharpControl - Image Sharpening Utility (Will run on USB Drive) -
- Terragen - a scenery generator, created with the goal of generating photorealistic landscape images and animations.
- UnFREEz - a high-speed Windows application that will take any number of images, saved as separate GIF files, and create a single animated GIF from those images.
- Xnview - you can quickly and easily view, process and convert image files. Will read more than 400 graphic file formats, and write to about 50. Will also display video formats. Also offers more advanced features such as Web page creation, contact prints, multiple conversion (format and transformation), slide shows, screen capturing and Twain support for scanners and digital cameras. -
CD & DVD Applications
- Capture - a screen capture utility for Windows (and NT), which allows you to capture the active window, or the entire screen, at any color depth and resolution, and save it into a Bitmap file for editing. -
- Fastone Capture 5.3 - (last freeware version) a powerful, flexible and intuitive screen-capture utility. It allows you to capture anything on the screen including windows, objects, full screen, rectangle regions, freehand-selected regions and scrolling windows/web pages, plus additional features. -
- Gadwin Print Screen - an easy to use utility, that allows you to capture any portion of the screen, save it to a file, copy it to Windows clipboard, print it or e-mail it to a recipient of your choice. -
- MWSnap - Screen & Window Capture (Will run on USB Drive) -
- Screenhunter - screen capture tool for you to easily take screenshots. -
- ScreenPrint32 - allows you to print, and/or capture to disk, or clipboard, the full desktop, active window, predefined area, or user selected area of the screen. -
Windows Desktop Customization
- AudioGrabber - audio CD ripper -
- BwgBurn - a Windows XP .NET 2.0 application that can be used to burn CD-R/CD-RW/DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD+R/DVD+RW/DVD+R DL/BD-RE. It includes the ability to burn both data disk, audio disk and video disk (include VCD and DVDs) -
- CDBurnerXPPro - can burn CD-R, CD-RW DVD+R/RW DVD-R/RW discs -
- CDex - a CD ripper and converter for Windows -
- Deep Burner - "A CD/DVD burning software that lets you create Data Cds, Bootable CDs, and Audio CDs as well as data DVDs. In addition, it lets you burn ISO files, and create ISO images. Also lets you design an auto start menu to launch documents or programs from the CD" -
- DeepRipper - can convert music files from AudioCDs into practically any format you'd like, including: MP3, WAV, OGG, and others.
- Exact Audio Copy - CD ripper -
- Express Rip - rips CDs to wav or mp3 -
- InfraRecorder - CD/DVD burning software that will create data, audio and mixed-mode projects and record them to physical discs as well as disc images. Will also burn dual-layer DVDs, and image files. -
- ISO Recorder - a tool (power toy) for Windows XP, 2003 and now Windows Vista, that allows (depending on the Windows version) to burn CD and DVD images (DVD support is only available on Windows Vista), copy disks, make images of the existing data CDs and DVDs and create ISO images from a content of a disk folder. -
- AJScreenSaver Clocks - a collection of various clock screensavers -
- CursorXP - Limited functionality but never expires. -
- exalead one:desktop - a desktop search utility that's fast, intuitive, and you don't have to have it running all the time for it to be effective -
- FlyakiteOSX - a transformation pack that will transform the look of a Windows XP system, to resemble the look of Mac OSX -
- Iconoid - Iconoid is a small program that helps reduce the clutter and confusion of the Windows desktop. -
- Logon Studio - Never expires -
- ObjectDock - Limited functionality but never expires. -
- Picture and Sound Show - a 32-bit screen saver for Windows that enables you to create your own slide shows from pictures and sounds on your computer. -
- WindowsBlinds - Limited functionality but never expires. -
HTML & CSS Editors
- CSS Tab Designer - a unique and easy to use software to help you design css-based lists and tabs visually and without any programming knowledge required. -
- Internet Explorer Developer Toolbar - provides a variety of tools for quickly creating, understanding, and troubleshooting Web pages. -
- Jalbum - "This one is pretty cool for making photo layouts for your website." -
- Netdrive - integrates your Website as a drive into your Windows Explorer, so you can easily copy and paste all sorts of files, straight to your website. Only supports Windows NT, Windows 2000 or Windows XP. -
- Nvu - a complete Web Authoring System for Linux desktop users as well as Microsoft Windows and Macintosh users to rival programs like FrontPage and Dreamweaver -
- Picture-Shark - a tool to add logo watermarks to your pictures in order to brand them or display copyright information. A stamp can be any GIF, JPEG or BMP image and it can be positioned anywhere on the image and previewed from the interface. You can also specify a transparency level, in order to blend the watermark with the image.
- Porta - allows you to create attractive image galleries from your digital photos in just a few easy steps.
- SiteGenWiz - Site Creation Program. -
- WindowSizer - Sets a given window to an exact size in pixels. Useful for web developers who want to see what their site will look like at various resolutions. -
File Transfer ProgramsProgramming Languages & IDE/Editors
- 1st Page 2000 - HTML Editor -
- HTML- Kit - HTML Editor
- Notepad++ - a free source code editor which supports several programming languages running under the MS Windows environment. -
- NoteTab Light - a Notepad replacement and handy HTML editor. Handle a heap of files with a simple tabbed interface. Search files, strip HTML tags and format text quickly. Build libraries of text macros to speed up your work. -
- NVU - WYSIWYG HTML Editor
- Selida - HTML/WYSIWYG Editor -
- Sothink HTML Editor - HTML Editor (Can only edit one page at a time) -
- Topstyle Lite - CSS Editor
- Bloodshed Dev-C++ - An excellent C/C++ IDE
- BlueJ - developed at a University specifically for the purpose of teaching object orientation with Java. - jpshortstuff
- Eclipse - used for Enterprise Development, Embedded + Device Development, Rich Client Platform, Application Frameworks, and Language IDE -
- phpEdit - PHP IDE (Newest version 2.6.0 is pay for. Previous versions are freeware)
- PSPad - a code editor that supports many file types and languages, with syntax highlighting. There are macros, clip files and templates to automate repetative tasks. Integrated HEX Editor, Project support, FTP Client, Macro Recorder, File Search/Replace, Code Explorer, Code page conversion... -
- Visual Studio Express Products - This includes Visual Basic, Visual C#, Visual C++, Visual J#, SQL Server, and Visual Web Dev.
Time & Weather
- Putty - Telnet and SSH Client
- Atomic TimeSync - synchronize your system clock with the NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology). -
- ClocX - An analog clock application for Microsoft Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP/2003. -
- DS Clock - a digital desktop clock that displays variable date and time information built from the format string -
- ForecastFox - (Firefox extension)This great little extension allows you to set it up so you can always view your local forecast in your Firefox Browser itself. The forecasts come straight from the Weather Channel's website. -
- Forecastfox Enhanced - (Firefox extension) Enhanced version of the popular Forecastfox extension that adds 12 improved radar images and the ability to supply an URL for your own radar image.
- Neutron - simple and small time synchronizing program that retrieves the accurate time from one of several specialized time servers on the Internet. -
- SysMetrix - Highly customizable, and skinnable clock. Can be customized to monitor the weather, your e-mail, cpu, memory usage and many other things, in addition to the time. -
- Weather Pulse - A weather application
- Weather Watcher - personal Windows desktop weather station. Automatically retrieve the current conditions, hourly forecast, daily forecast, detailed forecast, severe weather alerts from the National Weather Service (US only), and weather maps for over 77,000 cities world-wide - 98/Me/NT/2000/XP/Vista -
- WebTime2000 - WebTime 2000 is a small utility program that will synchronize your PC's internal clock with one of the several atomic clocks maintained by the United States National Institute of Standards and Technology.
Spike: I had a plan.
Angel: You, a plan?
Spike: Yeah, a good plan. Smart. Carefully laid out. But I got bored.