Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 271 79.47%
Above Average 46 13.49%
Average 17 4.99%
Below Average 2 0.59%
Poor 5 1.47%
Voters: 341. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 19 2008, 08:39 AM   #211
Campe98
Commodore

Re: The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

I'd really like to avoid hyperbole in regards to my review of this film, but that's going to be very difficult. To put it as simply as possible: best movie I've seen all year! I went in with high expectations and was not let down in the slightest!
Old July 19 2008, 10:43 AM   #212
Tralah
Wasting Time Until May 2009

Canadave wrote: View Post
Tralah wrote: View Post
archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
You are remembering correctly. Joker gave the locations, and when Batman was running out, he yelled something to the effect of, "I'm going for Rachel!" I also seem to recall (not sure since it was 2 or 3 in the morning) a line that talks about how Batman wasn't going to tell Dent that he was actually going for Rachel
Okay, so the Joker gives Batman the locations, but lies about who is at the locations. But it doesn't look like the police made any effort to get to Rachel's locations, so I guess they just suck.
They were right outside when the building she was in exploded.
I must have gotten the two explosions confused. It looked like they were right outside when Batman dragged out Harvey Dent. I found the editing to be a bit confusing in some parts, but I'm sure it'll be easier to follow the second time around. I really enjoyed it.
Tralah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 11:43 AM   #213
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I followed it pretty easily and easily interpeted that the Joker had lied about the location of his two captives.
Old July 19 2008, 12:38 PM   #214
Neroon
Mod of balance

Joker's lying about the locations would make perfect sense. Guess I will just have to go see it again to be sure. Of course, I'm not sure we can tell which location is which address.

But... I almost hope it turns out he was not lying, that Batman was all along intending to go for Harvey. Somehow that seems the more selfless act, something in keeping with his later sacrifice of his reputation. What I want to see in a reviewing are two things: 1.) what in the dialogue does Batman say in regards to which person he's going after. 2.) If he was going after Rachel, does Batman have any kind of surprised reaction when he arrives and sees Harvey instead?

archeryguy, the only thing I can remember Bruce saying about "Harvey can't ever know ... " was that Rachel was going to come back to him (to Bruce, that is). By that time, the viewer knows differently, but it was a line played for a bit of irony, I guess. Of course, that may be completely different from what you are recalling.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 12:41 PM   #215
Neroon
Mod of balance

Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
And you're right that it demonstrates what is seeming to get overlooked by many viewers of the film - the essential nature of Batman's heroism in the face of loss.
Trust me .... that point was not lost on me. Batman not only bears up morally in the face of his loss... he also willingly gives up something, his reputation and symbolic imagery, so he in effect loses even more. And yet maintains his moral center, shaky though it may be at times.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 01:14 PM   #216
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

^^That may be what I'm remembering. I recalled them discussing how Harvey can't know something, but I guess that something didn't stick with me very long.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 01:48 PM   #217
roliver
Fleet Captain

Neroon wrote: View Post
Joker's lying about the locations would make 1.) what in the dialogue does Batman say in regards to which person he's going after.
He clearly says he is going after Rachel. He did not expect to see Dent.
roliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 02:17 PM   #218
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

I have to say, this is one of the few movies I've ever seen that's been hyped as the greatest thing since canned beer that I didn't leave feeling let down in any way. This wasn't just a superhero movie, it was a capital "f" Film, perhaps the first one the genre has had since Dick Donner's Superman.

The actors were all outstanding. Certainly Heath Ledger deserves all the praise that's been heaped upon him, but it's really a film about four characters: Batman, Joker, Gordon, and Dent, and it wouldn't have been nearly as good if Bale, Oldman, and Eckhart had been off their game even a smidge. I think they all deserve to be nominated for awards for their performances.

I keep wanting to say that I'm disappointed that Harvey/Two-Face won't be back in the third film, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense for his character to have had a single-film arc. As someone else pointed out a few pages ago, Nolan's really been burning through the rogues' gallery (though the future lack of any appearances by the Joker couldn't be anticipated), but if he keeps burning through it like this, with such outstanding performances, I won't complain too much.

One thing I did notice that has improved: the editing isn't quite as rapid-fire as in Batman Begins, yet the film has as much kinetic energy as its predecessor, if not more. I hated how you could barely tell what was going on during the fight sequences in Begins, so this really made me happy. I mean, why bother going to the trouble of staging these fight sequences if you don't present them in a way that the audience can appreciate what was being done?
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 02:22 PM   #219
siskostemper
Fleet Captain

Location: Pittsburgh PA. Land of the best american football franchise of the superbowl era.

TG Theodore wrote: View Post
Two things that surprised me:

Just a great, GREAT movie.

--Ted

Don't know if anyone posted this but for a time Gordan did have a son. He didn't appear in the Batman books though outside of a mention or two. I think he was a military character. But with all the mess DC has been doing with it's continuity he could have been written out all together.

This movie should get a nom for best picture as well as best supporting actor. I actually clapped ast the end something I have never done at the end of a movie.
Old July 19 2008, 02:39 PM   #220
EnterpriseF
Commander

TheBolianChef wrote: View Post
Average.

I don't know. I went to see it with my mind open because the trailers didn't do much for me. I just had problems with the pacing and well the dialogue. It wasn't that it was horrible, it was that I couldn't UNDERSTAND THEM. The fight scenes were as good as Batman Begins, both good and bad. It was hard to see what the hell was going on for the most part.

The Joker surprised me. I rather have a more lunatic Joker, like Ledger played for the most part, than...well Nicholson. The other problem I had was with the Joker. He was good, very good but I rather have him completely off the hook and completely insane than having him try to pull back that insanity.

It wasn't as bad as Transformers but it wasn't as fun as the first Batman.
My thoughts exactly! Don't get me wrong I think it's a good film but the ending really ticked me off. Maybe I have to watch it a couple of more times but I'm sticking with my B+ rating.
Old July 19 2008, 03:01 PM   #221
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
And, speaking of villains, not that this film needed more of them, but wasn't Harley Quinn supposed to be in The Dark Knight? Did her scenes get cut, or did I just miss her?
No, Harley wasn't suppose to be in The Dark Knight. Some fans (myself included, I admit) had hoped she would appear, but in a minor role. I don't mind she wasn't in it.

However, I did have one thought: Perhaps she can be a secondary character in the next film, taking up The Joker's position out of her crazy love for him.

cardinal biggles wrote: View Post
The actors were all outstanding. Certainly Heath Ledger deserves all the praise that's been heaped upon him, but it's really a film about four characters: Batman, Joker, Gordon, and Dent, and it wouldn't have been nearly as good if Bale, Oldman, and Eckhart had been off their game even a smidge. I think they all deserve to be nominated for awards for their performances.
I'm glad to see another person agrees with me about the importance of Gordon's story. There hasn't been much talk about that so far in this thread.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 03:27 PM   #222
Othello
Commodore

Enjoyed everything about the movie except Maggie Gyllenhall. That woman is NOT very good looking at all and not all that as an actress. I would much preferred to see Katie Holmes back. Other than that an excellent movie.
Othello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 03:30 PM   #223
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

Emh wrote: View Post
Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
And, speaking of villains, not that this film needed more of them, but wasn't Harley Quinn supposed to be in The Dark Knight? Did her scenes get cut, or did I just miss her?
No, Harley wasn't suppose to be in The Dark Knight. Some fans (myself included, I admit) had hoped she would appear, but in a minor role. I don't mind she wasn't in it.

However, I did have one thought: Perhaps she can be a secondary character in the next film, taking up The Joker's position out of her crazy love for him.

cardinal biggles wrote: View Post
I'm glad to see another person agrees with me about the importance of Gordon's story. There hasn't been much talk about that so far in this thread.
No kidding - neither has Batman's story, and to me both were far more powerful than either of the villains tales, even if the performances were tighter and much more interior. Oldman was amazing in this role, rock solid, at last the Jim Gordon that's always been needed in the movies and never before seen. He so wonderfully embodies the quiet hero - I love his line to Dent early on about how he "Doesn't get political points for idealism. I have to do the best I can with what I've got." His scene with Berg in the car, with his family as they're threatened by Two-Face, his fierce protectiveness of Batman in the beginning and the way he challenges him at the end - he was masterful.
Old July 19 2008, 03:35 PM   #224
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I agree, I think Gary Oldman and Christian Bale gave the best performances in two very difficult roles. Ledger was great but I do feel that he is overshadowing the others a bit.
Old July 19 2008, 03:38 PM   #225
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Batman's story is compelling but I thought Dent's was more so. His character starts off as a flawed man but one determined to make a difference in Gotham. As he becomes bolder, he slowly begins to unravel until his disfigurement when he snaps completely. I was surprised with how the movie really focused on him throughout.

BTW, anyone waiting for Ledger to tell Maggie Gyellnhaal that she wasn't as hot as her brother?
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote