RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,404
Posts: 5,359,140
Members: 24,626
Currently online: 588
Newest member: space2050


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 271 79.47%
Above Average 46 13.49%
Average 17 4.99%
Below Average 2 0.59%
Poor 5 1.47%
Voters: 341. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 18 2008, 07:25 PM   #136
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

Paxil wrote: View Post
Stupid concept, terrible movie, waste of a decent actor's final role.
Yikes. I wasn't the biggest fan of the first movie, but I don't know how anyone could actually say it or it's sequel were "terrible". There's still a lot of cool stuff in there for Batman fans, I gotta think.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 07:26 PM   #137
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer
 
Spaceman Spiff's Avatar
 
Re: The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

Paxil wrote: View Post
Anyone who dislikes this movie for ANY reason will be attacked. Period.
That may be true, but it's not much to ask that it be seen before it's called a terrible movie and a waste of an actor's final role.
__________________
"Love means never having to say you're ugly."
- Dr. Phibes
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 07:31 PM   #138
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

Paxil wrote: View Post
Anyone who dislikes this movie for ANY reason will be attacked. Period.
Perhaps. But it still helps to understand your position better if you say "I didn't like it because..."

Instead of just coming in saying it sucked/was terrible/whatever which can be construed of just trying to be differential to stir shit up.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 07:35 PM   #139
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral
 
Captain Craig's Avatar
 
Location: Nashville,TN
Re: The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

steveman wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
steveman wrote: View Post
So, what parts of the film garnered the most applause in your respective theatres?

In my theatre it was, undoubtedly...



And, of course, everyone applauded at the end. I love going to midnight showings simply for the fact that, more often than not, the people who are there are as invested in what's taking place on the screen as you are.
I think that was kind of expected. I think the biggest applause was when Joker gave his line to Bats that referenced an earlier role. That was awesome, Joker's "pencil trick" also got a big applause.
Oh, yeah. Definitely. I wasn't saying I was shocked by it or anything. Just an observation...

And people were definitely shocked when they saw the "pencil trick." Pretty much anything the Joker did that was played for comedy or shock value ellicited a strong response from the audience.
The "pencil kill" didn't get applause in my theater but it got response.
It was a few shrieks, verbal OMG, EEKS and I swear one guy behind me somewhere said SHIT! in a disturbed manner.

But not applause.
__________________
"Picard never hit me." Q-Less(DS9)
"Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings" Optimus Prime
Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 07:36 PM   #140
TheBrew
Vice Admiral
 
TheBrew's Avatar
 
Location: Fox Lady
Re: The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

M brain is still a bit addled, but I'll try to make the rest of my comments here. SPOILERS of course.



One thing I liked about the movie was that the Joker had no master plan in the sense that he was going to poison all of gotham or somethin else that big. Here he just had a goal and we saw the different ways he tried to reach that goal. It acually gave it a nice comic book feel as it was almost a series of mini-stories linked to form a larger theme.

I almost kept forgetting that this was not an R movie. Several times I had to remind myself that it was PG13 and that they would not go too far in terms of graphic violence.

I really liked that the Scarecrow was in it. A lot of little touches that tied it in with the first movie.

As silly as the cell phone sonar was, it was better than the water vaperizer in the first one.

I really liked the ferry scenes. I think that the Joker was defeated when neither of the boats blew the other one up. At that point, he is proven wrong and Batman's cause to set an example for a better Gotham is working.

I liked that Batman saved the Joker. The one thing that felt wrong in BB was that he let Duckard die. That moment didn't feel true to me. This Batman felt so right here.

Was the Batman copies inspired by Grant Morrison? I know he included the concept at the start of his current run, but I'm not sure when his run started (either 2007 or 2006).

I missed part of the ending because a cop came inside to inform us that some cars were broken in (luckily not mine). Not quite sure what they did with Harvey and I got some of rationale of why Batman became the enemy, but it wasn't clear to me. I guess I'll just have to watch it again.
__________________
Sing glorious, victorious,
One keg of beer for the four of us.
Sing glory be to God that there are no more of us,
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 07:54 PM   #141
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral
 
archeryguy1701's Avatar
 
Location: Cheyenne, WY
Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701
Re: The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

This was one of those summer movies where I have had minimal interest or liking for the other movies/ shows in the series, but it looked interesting enough to see. And, when I got an invitation to go to the midnight showing (my first ever!), who was I to refuse.

And I wasn't disappointed. It was an absolutely stunning movie that was very enjoyable to watch. The Joker was creepy as hell! He was one of the best portrayed bad guys I have ever watched. He was believeable and you could feel that he was a few fries short of a happy meal. It had great action sequences and the plot moved very quickly. To be entirely honest, I think I liked this more than Indy 4, and I had lauded that one as a gift to humanity. I think the thing I liked the most about it was that it wasn't a cliche comic book movie... that was some really dark shit! It made any of the X-Men or any of the previous Batman's look like they were put out by Disney! It was dark, gritty, and plausible. It wasn't some guy looking to freeze the city (insert maniacle laughter). It was a deranged psycho who kidnapped, murdered, and bombed.

I hadn't realised that Rachel had been recast. I honestly thought they looked extremely similar, though when they did close-ups on the new Rachel, I was thinking that Holmes had aged a decent amount in those three years. I think I preferred Holmes, but the new lady wasn't bad. The only real complaint I had with the movie is that Batman was giving off a real "Invincible Man" vibe. I don't care if his suit is bullet proof, he shouldn't be able to take that much abuse. All in all though, and great movie.
__________________
"If it weren't for stupid, difficult races, there'd simply be no point to living."

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 07:58 PM   #142
Paxil
Vice Admiral
 
Re: The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

Spaceman Spiff wrote: View Post
Paxil wrote: View Post
Anyone who dislikes this movie for ANY reason will be attacked. Period.
That may be true, but it's not much to ask that it be seen before it's called a terrible movie and a waste of an actor's final role.
I don't need to see it to know what I would think of it, considering I hate comic book superheroes, "action" movies AND crime drama.
Paxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 08:17 PM   #143
Tom Servo
Commodore
 
Tom Servo's Avatar
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Re: The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

Paxil wrote: View Post
Spaceman Spiff wrote: View Post
Paxil wrote: View Post
Anyone who dislikes this movie for ANY reason will be attacked. Period.
That may be true, but it's not much to ask that it be seen before it's called a terrible movie and a waste of an actor's final role.
I don't need to see it to know what I would think of it, considering I hate comic book superheroes, "action" movies AND crime drama.
Then why in the hell did you post in the thread other then to stir shit up?!
__________________
"I like this ship! It's exciting!"-Scotty "Star Trek"

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 08:19 PM   #144
Paxil
Vice Admiral
 
Re: The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

Because I am entitled to post my opinion that it is a crap film. Just as I don't need to see The Passion or House Party III to think they are crap.
Paxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 08:28 PM   #145
Tom Servo
Commodore
 
Tom Servo's Avatar
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Re: The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

Paxil wrote: View Post
Because I am entitled to post my opinion that it is a crap film. Just as I don't need to see The Passion or House Party III to think they are crap.
Do you even read the words you type? Cause they make no sense what so ever. The only reason you are in this thread is stir up the hornets nest, and not to add any intelligent discussion to the conversation.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. I have 9:00AM IMAX tickets at the Franklin Institute tomorrow. There are not many movies I would get up at 7:00 AM to go see, but this is one of them.
__________________
"I like this ship! It's exciting!"-Scotty "Star Trek"

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 08:41 PM   #146
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer
 
Spaceman Spiff's Avatar
 
Re: The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

Yeah, that doesn't really merit any further replies. Fine, you hate it preemptively. Have a plate of cookies and watch something you like.

I advise everyone else to go back to discussing the movie they've seen.
__________________
"Love means never having to say you're ugly."
- Dr. Phibes
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 08:59 PM   #147
Garak
Mr Garak. Today My Name is Mr Garak
 
Garak's Avatar
 
Re: The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

House Party 3 ruled. Kid and Play? What more do you want, a hummer while you're watching the flick?

Anyways, I've got my tix, going to slip out of work early on a "customer call" and see it. I'm sneakier than Batman himself.
__________________
'Just be yourself' is good advice to probably 5% of people.
Garak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 09:07 PM   #148
LitmusDragon
Commodore
 
LitmusDragon's Avatar
 
Location: The Barmuda Triangle
Re: The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

I'm absolutely giddy to see this movie. I'll be going right after work which is 3 more hours.
LitmusDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 09:19 PM   #149
Brolan
Commodore
 
Brolan's Avatar
 
Location: Backwoods Minnesota
Re: The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

LitmusDragon wrote: View Post
I'm absolutely giddy to see this movie. I'll be going right after work which is 3 more hours.
Buy your tickets online or get there as soon as possible. The lines are insane.
__________________
My use of revolutionary flags and symbols in no way endorses the group of morons known as The Tea Party
Brolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 09:36 PM   #150
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

I adored it. The performances were really quite good, better than in most films let alone comic book films.

Heath was great but I thought Bale and Coleman really stole the show in the last ten minutes.

Suffice to say I gave the film an excellent and will be seeing it again tomorrow.
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
batman, christopher nolan, grading & discussion, superheroes, the dark knight

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.