Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old July 16 2008, 03:45 PM   #91
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Re: An Idea For A Game/Project

FYI, I am scrambling to finish my entry by tomorrow. I will have one but my "style" may wind up to be "minimalist impressionism."

My entry will be posted in the pinned thread by tomorrow afternoon or evening at the latest.
Old July 16 2008, 04:43 PM   #92
BJensen
Fleet Captain

View BJensen's Twitter Profile

Oh! I just noticed this project.
Nice One of the better threads to come up in the art forum- by a long shot.

I'll follow this one!
BJensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2008, 12:29 AM   #93
Ptrope
Agitator

^^

So, you gonna sign up?

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
Ptrope, I noticed that you have separated the two threads. Thank you for that. Also, thank you for stickying the comic thread.
No problem! They were already separate, anyway, but I thought moving the comments over here really was the best way to handle it, and, yippee, they moved over in chronological order with all the other posts!

BTW, unless someone new signs up in time, I'll be happy to tackle Lucky 13 ... (don't want to be a hog, of course )
Old July 17 2008, 03:35 AM   #94
BJensen
Fleet Captain

View BJensen's Twitter Profile

^
No- too busy.
I'm really happy to see people doing original work in this thread. People are even drawing!! lol

keep it up ^_^
BJensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2008, 05:07 AM   #95
ThomastheCat
Captain

View ThomastheCat's Twitter Profile

Ptrope wrote: View Post
^^
BTW, unless someone new signs up in time, I'll be happy to tackle Lucky 13 ... (don't want to be a hog, of course )
Actually I figured when we ran out of new artists the circle would start in the same order...but I guess that's up to the group to figure out?
Old July 17 2008, 01:34 PM   #96
PlanetMudd
Lieutenant

That's what I thought too, Thomas.

Art of a Deviant: My gallery of D&D, Trek, whatever ...
PlanetMudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2008, 02:58 PM   #97
Ptrope
Agitator

^^ That's fine with me . I didn't make that assumption, though, just because some folks may not want to go through a second round, and others will obviously join in after we've already started repeating; I guess I figured it would continue as members signed up to 'the list,' in whatever order they did so.
Old July 18 2008, 06:23 AM   #98
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Putting the finishing touches on it now. Should be up within the hour.
Old July 18 2008, 02:27 PM   #99
Ptrope
Agitator

Very nice, Vektor! Well worth the wait; love the style and the layout . Is this drawn and scanned or completely digital? (btw, "something" is misspelled in the last panel )

I love the way this is going, overall - we should've done something like this a long time ago .
Old July 18 2008, 03:40 PM   #100
Redfern
Commodore

OK, looks like I'm in the hot seat now. And I bet you guys think I'm gonna' "shoe horn" M'Ress into my offering. As tempting as that might be, I don't see how I can do that without it appearing blatantly forced.

So, Vector depicts Gary Seven's "widget" still in "Kirk's" hand. Hmm, yeah, I think I can work with this.

BTW, Vector, that is a very well illustrated portrait of McCoy. It looks like the good doctor has been the best captured likeness in this visual narrative.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 03:55 PM   #101
M
Vice Admiral

Wow, Vektor! That's just awesome! But ... I expected nothing less of you. I too love the way you've drawn McCoy. You really hit the nail on the head with that illustration. My favorite panel though is the last one. I love how Kirk is hiding behind the wall.

I love the way this is going, overall - we should've done something like this a long time ago .
Thank you. That's heartwarming actually.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 05:08 PM   #102
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Very nice, Vektor! Well worth the wait; love the style and the layout . Is this drawn and scanned or completely digital? (btw, "something" is misspelled in the last panel )
It's actually completely digital, which is noteworthy because I had just bought myself a small Wacom tablet the day before my turn came around; prior to that, I had never done any 2D digital art before. I didn't buy the Wacom specifically for the comic project but I figured it would be a good way to learn the new software and become familiar with the process. In retrospect, I probably should have chosen something without a one week deadline.

The results weren't too bad. I'm particularly happy with the closeup of McCoy. The coloring was a little rushed, though, and came out sloppier than I wanted, although it's consistant with certain styles of watercoloring. If I'd had more time (or a shorter learning curve!) I could have added a lot more detail, better shading, etc, but shoulda woulda coulda. It's done and I'm happy with it.
Old July 18 2008, 07:21 PM   #103
Ptrope
Agitator

For a one-week work, while trying to also learn new hardware and software, you've done a bang-up job! The watercolor 'look' is unique, and suits the style perfectly - the 'sloppiness' gives it a very real, 'non-digital' feel. I don't honestly think it would be better with more detail or polish.

Just out of curiosity, the backgrounds look like you may have modeled them. Is this the case? I know there are several 2D comic artists now working with SketchUp to create quick-but-accurate interiors and exteriors, that they then integrate as backgrounds with their hand-drawn characters ('hand-drawn' by way of a tablet, usually).
Old July 18 2008, 07:27 PM   #104
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Just out of curiosity, the backgrounds look like you may have modeled them. Is this the case? I know there are several 2D comic artists now working with SketchUp to create quick-but-accurate interiors and exteriors, that they then integrate as backgrounds with their hand-drawn characters ('hand-drawn' by way of a tablet, usually).
Nope, no SketchUp or any other kind of 3D. I did use the straight-line tool for the panel edges and parts of the backgrounds but it was all 2D.
Old July 19 2008, 02:16 AM   #105
ThomastheCat
Captain

View ThomastheCat's Twitter Profile

Another fantastic addition to the story! We might have to print and bind this thing folks!... At least a PDF maybe.

Vektor, did you just do this in Photoshop or another more exotic program like Painter? The "paper" texture you have certainly adds to the impression that it's traditional media as well.

It's cool to see Kirk has something in his hand which might or might not be the pen. I think common threads between each of our individual panels (like Arex, the pen, Nurse O'Malley, etc.) are one of the things that really make this fun to read and participate in.

Looking forward to what Redfern has in store for us next, with our without M'Ress.

Last edited by ThomastheCat; July 19 2008 at 02:26 AM.
ThomastheCat is offline   Reply With Quote