Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 271 79.47%
Above Average 46 13.49%
Average 17 4.99%
Below Average 2 0.59%
Poor 5 1.47%
Voters: 341. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 18 2008, 08:31 AM   #91
Canadave
Vice Admiral

View Canadave's Twitter Profile
Re: The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

Excellent. Very, very excellent. That's all I can coherently say right now, it being 3:30 AM and all.

Old July 18 2008, 08:33 AM   #92
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

There were three packed theaters at my midnight showing. Three. That's huge for where I live. This movie's going to make money like crazy. I just hope WB doesn't get greedy and start meddling with the next one.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 08:40 AM   #93
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

In my neck of the woods, I've never, ever seen a theatre more than 70% of capacity. Ever. Not for any opening of any film. Period. Not Spider-Man, not Pirates. Nothing.

My theatre, which has it on two screens, was 95% or more filled.

It lived up to the hype. It surpassed it. It was brilliant.

Ledger's Joker owned. You actually did laugh at some of his hijinks, deadly as they may be. He was the perfect Joker, the perfect mad-man, the ultimate master of disaster and chaos. He was a perfectly dark funny psycho in every aspect of the word. If Ledger does not WIN an Oscar, it will be a crime against humanity. Nomination is not enough. He must WIN!

Despite reports of the film being not focused on Batman, it really was. Batman was the thread, the glue, that held the others together. Gordon, Dent and the Joker all had a good plot to themselves, but it was tied together by Batman. Everyone in the film got to do more, got to have more.

The look of Two-Face = spot on brilliant. The pictures that have been posted don't do it justice to seeing it. The action was brilliant and epic. The story was fantastic.

This is easily one of my favorite films of all time. It will take a few more viewings to decide if it is THE top film on my list.

As for the next films brilliant, I noticed something.

In Begins, when Bruce played drunk, he called everyone his "two-faced friends" - coincedence that Two-Face was in this film? Well, in this one, Lucious made a comment that the new suit should "hold up well against cats"...

Think about it.

Maybe...

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 08:56 AM   #94
Ihlecreations
Captain

View Ihlecreations's Twitter Profile

Skywalker wrote: View Post

There were three packed theaters at my midnight showing. Three. That's huge for where I live. This movie's going to make money like crazy. I just hope WB doesn't get greedy and start meddling with the next one.

I dont think
. Ok I have to give this a film a 11 out of 10. Even if you don't like comic movies this movie is worth seeing. Excellent. *****
Ihlecreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 09:00 AM   #95
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I don't think they'd even go anywhere remotely near the direction of Catwoman after the Halle Berry flow. We all know the next villains are going to be The Ventriloquist and Clayface.
Old July 18 2008, 09:11 AM   #96
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

I'd like to see Deadshot be one of the villains in the next movie. I always liked his costume.
Old July 18 2008, 09:13 AM   #97
FALCONX0N
Captain

I'm not sure if there should be another one. I don't think it's possible to get any better than that.

That wasn't a superhero movie, that was a superhero Film. Capital F. And it was exactly spot on- -there's a part of me which looked at the final confrontation between Batman and the Joker and suddenly came to the conclusion that this was the pitch perfect realization of these characters.
FALCONX0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 09:21 AM   #98
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

I just got back from a midnight showing. Maybe some slight spoilers in here:

I was expecting a slight disappointment after how heavily this has been hyped. Well, suffice to say I was completely blown away. This is a great film. Not just a great superhero film but a great film period. It transcends its genre and becomes something amazing. Every single performance is pitch perfect. Ledger as the Joker is full of manic energy and perfectly captured the lunacy and psychosis of the character. We laugh at his jokes (which the Joker should be funny) but are terrified of him, too. This is destined to become an iconic film role. It is all too sad that Ledger should pass on when this role truly would have propelled him to the top. Aaron Eckhart also gives an incredible performance. There's no doubt in my mind that this is the definitive portrayal of Harvey Dent/Two-Face. I was expecting Two-Face to simply be the cliffhanger for the next film. I was very pleasantly surprised to see his story fully fleshed out and explored here, while seamlessly being merged with the Joker's story. These two plot lines complemented each other so well. I just can't say enough about how great this film was. I certainly plan to see it many more times.
Old July 18 2008, 09:34 AM   #99
Brolan
Commodore

I just got back from the theatre and I'm tired, so I'll just say this:
Old July 18 2008, 09:40 AM   #100
Messianni
Commodore

View Messianni's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Messianni Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Messianni

It's almost 4 am and I'll post more later, but...

...fuckin'. Wow.
Old July 18 2008, 10:44 AM   #101
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Meh. It was okay.
Old July 18 2008, 10:47 AM   #102
Avilos

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Meh. It was okay.
The only review that matters to me. I will wait for the DVD.

Actually I am seeing it the first showing tomorrow. Well Noon not midnight I mean! Which reminds me I should get to bed....
Old July 18 2008, 10:53 AM   #103
T'Pers0n
Fleet Captain

Saw it again. It was better the second time around actually. Some of the stuff Batman and Joker discussed really takes to life in additional viewing. It's like the first time seeing it was like zooming/panning through a huge paiting on the wall. Second time was like stepping back and really admiring the whole thing.

A couple of the problems I had were resolved. Though, some weren't. going to say 9/10. There is a 10/10 hiding in there somewhere with about 1 minute of dialogue removed, 30 minutes of plot restored, and no mpaa rating.

Will see it 2 more times in theater. Will probably finally buy a blu-ray drive just for this release.

[overreaction]I may write my congressman concerning a July 18th national Batman holiday and statue.[\overreaction]
Old July 18 2008, 10:55 AM   #104
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Meh. It was okay.

SPOILERS AHOY!

I liked that they didn't kill any of the villains. In fact, I loved it as I hate it when the villain is killed in nearly every comic book movie (Magneto and Luthor being the two major exceptions).

The weaknesses of Batman Begins where done away with (as interesting as the backstory is, it was too long) while the everything it did right was amped up.

Not sure who is better, Ledger or Hamill, but they both nailed it perfectly.

Now I need to get some sleep for work... today.
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 11:55 AM   #105
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

Well, that was really quite extraordinary. Perhaps the best Batman story ever told - it manages to be completely faithful to the spirit and sensibility of the very best Batman stories from the comics, taking bits and pieces from them and weaving them into something that at once totally transcends the genre and is still truly in and of what great superhero stories are all about. The risks it takes leave you on the edge of your seat until the very last moment, and the ending then completely trumps it all. Yet no twist is out of left field - the entire movie builds to the moment that you find just who and what Batman is capable of being.

On top of its perfection at being a Batman story, it takes on contemporary issues and explores them relentlessly, while keeping everything grounded in the characters. To say this movie is not about Bruce Wayne is bizarre. It's not about screen time - this story is about his evolution and while many notes are (rightly for a comic book movie) very on the nose (notably Joker's discussion with Harvey in his hospital bed, and Gordon's closing lines), that evolution is brought forth entirely through action. It is in every one of Bruce's choices that who he is comes to be revealed. And he is discovering it all just as the audience is.

Grand themes of justice, terrorism, power, surveillance, good and evil, morality and self-preservation, civilization and barbarism are acted out along with extremely personal issues of sacrifice, familial and romantic love, and, of course, heroism.

Is it a masterpiece of cinema? Maybe not, but it's close. Is it a masterpiece of superhero films? Without a doubt. Nothing touches it. Others have used grand themes as plot devices - Iron Man and contemporary war and weapons, for example. This flick isn't playing. When I left the theater and got in my car, there was a news program on about our government's dancing around using legalese to excuse torture. No matter how surreal this movie spins out chaos and insanity, the real world is worse. That's why this is what superhero stories have always promised to be and rarely, if ever, manage to reach. This one reaches it - to see those last shots of Joker, hanging upside down and the camera rolling to make him rightside up, that single image captures how insane things have become right here, right now, for real. To imagine a hero who, as Gordon says, can take it - it is quite a vision.