Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old July 16 2008, 04:44 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

JumpCon Boston Convention Cancelled

After rumblings of financial trouble and cancellations by actors due to contractual responsibilities not being fulfilled, JumpCon cancelled the Boston convention due to take place this weekend.

As reported by SyFy Portal, JumpCon follows FedCon USA as the second Star Trek convention to fail in as many months.

Shane Senter, JumpCon organizer, apologized to fans on the JumpCon website. "I regret to announce the cancellation of our Boston event. Many factors that needed to come together to make it happen simply did not. We tried everything humanly possible andwere unable to overcome the insurmountable obstacles."

Senter went on to promise refunds, although he acknowledged that fans would be out-of-luck for other costs such as airfares. "I fully apologize to all the fans who've been inconvenienced by this late announcement and assure them that we're in the process of getting you all refunds. I know there are airfare and other considerations for which you will be liable and for that I am truly sorry."

Signs of trouble appeared before the cancellation. Star Trek: Enterprise's John Billingsley (Phlox) was supposed to have been one of the guests in attendance at JumpCon. He posted a disclaimer on his website located here, several days ago, where he warned potential attendees not to expect him to attend. "I want to announce that I will not be attending JumpCon in Boston on the weekend of the l8th, l9th, 20th of July. I have asked the promoters to take my name and Bonita's name off their website. If our names remain on their website after the 11th JumpCon is clearly engaging in a form of fraudulent advertising."

Star Trek: Voyager's Robert Picardo (EMH) posted a warning to fans on his website where he said, "To all fans seeking information about my Jumpcon status...Contrary to postings elsewhere, I have NOT received 'Half My Fee' from the JumpCon promoter, but only a 10% deposit (6 months ago) as stipulated by our contract. I was due the full balance by July 4th -- ten days ago. Also, contrary to JumpCon's claim, I have NO "scheduling conflict" for JumpCon Boston and have NOT 'cancelled'. JumpCon unilaterally removed me from their website without notifying me that I was cancelled. Why? Perhaps because our contract stipulates that I'm due a 25% cancellation fee if JumpCon cancels me within 60 days of the event."

Vulkon Entertainment, who will be holding a Star Trek convention in Orlando, Florida, on the weekend of July 18-20th, has made a special offer to those holding JumpCon tickets. "While JumpCon was a competing convention to Vulkon this weekend, we do not like to see patrons get hurt when a convention folds. So, for those holding a Boston JumpCon ticket, Vulkon will give you half off either a Bronze reserved seat ticket or half off a general admission ticket. Please bring your JumpCon ticket and ID to the registration table to receive your discount."

To read more, head to the article located here.

Old July 16 2008, 05:03 AM   #2
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

Re: JumpCon Boston Convention Cancelled

TrekToday wrote: View Post
"<p><i>Star Trek: The Next Generation's</i> <font color=yellow>Robert Picardo</font> (EMH)
Oh?
Old July 16 2008, 05:47 AM   #3
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Aw jeez.

Bad to write the news late at night. Bad, bad, bad.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
Old July 16 2008, 05:54 AM   #4
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

I called there this evening, spoke to an obviously frustrated lady named Amanda, who informed me ALL JumpCon events have been cancelled. And that as of tomorrow, she no longe works for them...

Old July 16 2008, 06:49 AM   #5
decompiler
Commander

(grabs my guitar)

"...and the times they are a-changin'."
Old July 16 2008, 06:59 PM   #6
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
Aw jeez.

Bad to write the news late at night. Bad, bad, bad.
Don't feel bad. Yesterday TV Guide had an article about the Star Trek movie and called Spock a Klingon.
Old July 16 2008, 08:13 PM   #7
PKerr
Rear Admiral

Like I've said before kids, rather you want to hear it or not.
Star Trek is dying and needs a rest.
Let it rest, in time it will be back, stronger than ever.

This new movie will be the nail in it's coffin.
Old July 16 2008, 08:40 PM   #8
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

PKerr, though you're wrong, I'm not going to argue with you.
Old July 16 2008, 08:46 PM   #9
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

PKerr wrote: View Post
Like I've said before kids, rather you want to hear it or not.
Star Trek is dying and needs a rest.
Let it rest, in time it will be back, stronger than ever.

This new movie will be the nail in it's coffin.
I agree, except the movie will be the revival into its new form. A form which will not inspire conventions and people dressing up and getting obsessed.
Old July 16 2008, 11:05 PM   #10
Pioneer
Captain

If I were a ticket holder, I'd be demanding my money back.
And besides, aren't you supposed to line up your ducks, then shoot them?
Looks like these people didn't know how to run a convention business and are now out of business. Gives a bad name to the rest of them. This does not bode well.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old July 18 2008, 02:04 AM   #11
nefe-vicechair
Cadet

[FONT=Arial]United Fan Con is coming to the rescue of fans in Boston.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Randolph[/FONT][FONT=Arial], MA[/FONT][FONT=Arial]. – July 17, 2008 – United Fan Con Inc., a small not-for-profit fan-run group located in Randolph MA, has stepped up to give the fans in Boston the fun-filled weekend that they were anticipating.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]On Tuesday afternoon, July 15th, the Milford, NH based event promotions company, JumpCon LLC, cancelled a large Science Fiction / Pop Culture event scheduled for this weekend July 18th-20th at the Sheraton Boston Hotel. This is a second time in the last two months events like this have collapsed at the last minute, in June Fed Con USA in Dallas , TX canceled the rest of their show during the actual event itself. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]United Fan Con has been producing fan-run events in Massachusetts for the past 17 years and knows when events are canceled like this it leaves a bad taste in everyone’s mouths; it hurts everyone involved: actors, agents, hotels, other promoters and especially the fans. This time it is different, a lot of fans that were planning to attend the now canceled Jumpcon Boston have rallied together to put on there own mini convention. It started with online forum posts discussing the situation and then moved to the realization that many people were still coming to Boston regardless of the JC cancellation. These fans decided to organize and started planning a mini fan event. United Fan Con stepped in to help the fans make it happen, giving the fans the funds to rent space at a new venue and use of any and all equipment and supplies needed to host an event. In addition UFC is contacting actors, agents and vendors with the hope of making this an exciting weekend.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]This Fan Con will be free to all attendees and include; games, videos, fan panels, auctions, vendors and more. The event will take place at the Hilton Back Bay, located at 40 Dalton Street, Boston MA (directly across the street from the Boston Sheraton). The event will run from 3pm – 10pm on Friday, 10am – 6pm on Saturday and 12pm – 6pm on Sunday. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Here is what is being said about the fans efforts:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] “It's really cool that you are trying to help these poor fans”. - Bob Catalano, Westland Productions[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]“I hope you can make something happen with the fans, thanks for doing this.” Julie Catlin Brown – Illumina Productions, [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]“How nice of you to reach out and see what can be done. We greatly appreciate your thoughts and willingness to try and make something positive out this fiasco Thank you”. Erin Gray - Heroes for Hire.

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]What we need is you, the fan, to get the word out! Tell all of your friends and tell us how you can help. This is a true FAN CON![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]If you wish to help plan this event please join us at [COLOR=windowtext]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jconcons/[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]For the latest information, go to [COLOR=#800080]http://www.nefe.us[/COLOR][/FONT]
Old July 18 2008, 07:06 AM   #12
donners22
Commodore

This new board software really doesn't handle copy & paste well, does it?
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
Old July 18 2008, 02:26 PM   #13
Pioneer
Captain

nefe-vicechair wrote: View Post
[FONT=Arial]United Fan Con is coming to the rescue of fans in Boston.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Randolph[/FONT][FONT=Arial], MA[/FONT][FONT=Arial]. – July 17, 2008 – United Fan Con Inc., a small not-for-profit fan-run group located in Randolph MA, has stepped up to give the fans in Boston the fun-filled weekend that they were anticipating.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]On Tuesday afternoon, July 15th, the Milford, NH based event promotions company, JumpCon LLC, cancelled a large Science Fiction / Pop Culture event scheduled for this weekend July 18th-20th at the Sheraton Boston Hotel. This is a second time in the last two months events like this have collapsed at the last minute, in June Fed Con USA in Dallas , TX canceled the rest of their show during the actual event itself. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]United Fan Con has been producing fan-run events in Massachusetts for the past 17 years and knows when events are canceled like this it leaves a bad taste in everyone’s mouths; it hurts everyone involved: actors, agents, hotels, other promoters and especially the fans. This time it is different, a lot of fans that were planning to attend the now canceled Jumpcon Boston have rallied together to put on there own mini convention. It started with online forum posts discussing the situation and then moved to the realization that many people were still coming to Boston regardless of the JC cancellation. These fans decided to organize and started planning a mini fan event. United Fan Con stepped in to help the fans make it happen, giving the fans the funds to rent space at a new venue and use of any and all equipment and supplies needed to host an event. In addition UFC is contacting actors, agents and vendors with the hope of making this an exciting weekend.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]This Fan Con will be free to all attendees and include; games, videos, fan panels, auctions, vendors and more. The event will take place at the Hilton Back Bay, located at 40 Dalton Street, Boston MA (directly across the street from the Boston Sheraton). The event will run from 3pm – 10pm on Friday, 10am – 6pm on Saturday and 12pm – 6pm on Sunday. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Here is what is being said about the fans efforts:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] “It's really cool that you are trying to help these poor fans”. - Bob Catalano, Westland Productions[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]“I hope you can make something happen with the fans, thanks for doing this.” Julie Catlin Brown – Illumina Productions, [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]“How nice of you to reach out and see what can be done. We greatly appreciate your thoughts and willingness to try and make something positive out this fiasco Thank you”. Erin Gray - Heroes for Hire.

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]What we need is you, the fan, to get the word out! Tell all of your friends and tell us how you can help. This is a true FAN CON![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]If you wish to help plan this event please join us at [COLOR=windowtext]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jconcons/[/COLOR][/FONT]

[font=Arial]For the latest information, go to [COLOR=#800080]http://www.nefe.us[/COLOR][/font]
This reminds me of the old "Save Star Trek" fan campaign (fanpaign?) of the late 60's. It gave Star Trek another season. This is what being a Star Trek fan is all about, IMHBAO.

Looks like tags don't work well within quotes either, But the "quote" tag seems to work.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old July 18 2008, 07:28 PM   #14
Broph
Cadet

Mark Goddard will appear at the new Boston event

http://www.nefe.us/

UPDATE: July 18, 2008 - Actor Mark Goddard, who portrayed the character Major Don West in the TV Series "Lost In Space", will be joining us this weekend at our Fan Con event. Mark is very concerned about recent events and will be making an appearance Friday, July 18 around 5pm and possibly Saturday, July 19, 2008, time TBD.
Old July 20 2008, 07:00 PM   #15
arch101
Fleet Captain

Broph wrote: View Post
Mark Goddard will appear at the new Boston event

http://www.nefe.us/

UPDATE: July 18, 2008 - Actor Mark Goddard, who portrayed the character Major Don West in the TV Series "Lost In Space", will be joining us this weekend at our Fan Con event. Mark is very concerned about recent events and will be making an appearance Friday, July 18 around 5pm and possibly Saturday, July 19, 2008, time TBD.
Fortunately, he lives here in MA and it isn't a big deal for him to attend. I wish Howie Carr (local Boston guy) would have him on his show again to push the event. He was a great guest last time he was on and told a lot of stories about LIS and, in general, TV production in the '60s