Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old July 11 2008, 07:06 PM   #451
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

EDIT: In reply to tenmei.

While I'm not an S&S employee so can't really speak to their practices, I would theorize that the internal catalogue is laid out that way because it communicates better than a simple list of titles and authors. Most people are visual, they respond--and remember--better when there's imagery, and a blurb they can attach to the book gives a vague impression of what the book is actually about beyond the title, which can also be useful. It doesn't matter that it's inaccurate, because those who receiving the listings are aware that it's a work in progress, that somebody elsewhere in the company is changing these things even as they read it, and they're mentally prepared to substitute whatever they've already seen with fresher information when it becomes available. The point of such catalogues is to offer an impression of upcoming titles, what you should roughly be expecting to come down the line, not hard data since a lot of it isn't pinned down yet. When such pictures and blurbs get leaked to us, it's our fault if we ignore the preliminary, temporary and mutable nature of the listing and take them as gospel truth.

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
But who would S&S's sales force be selling the book to? That would be distributors and retailers. It's disingenuous of Dave to say that the catalog isn't meant for retailers, when it's the very tool that S&S uses to sell retailers on buying Pocket's product.
Hm. You've got me there. Obviously I don't know enough about the way this all works.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old July 11 2008, 07:20 PM   #452
danjamesb
Commander

tenmei wrote: View Post
I really don't get the point about why you'd put out something so innacurate - even just as an internal thing. What's the point? What do they gain from putting up a cover that doesn't match the book and a description that doesn't match the book either?
Well, quite.

Which is why I refuse to believe the descriptions are as inaccurate as is being suggested.

The exact wording may have changed since those descriptions were released, but the plots described can't be that different from the finished books.
danjamesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2008, 11:26 PM   #453
JD
Admiral

I'm not an S&S employee in any for but from the catalouges I've read on the internet, they don't really seem to be that inaccurate, but they are very very rough. They usually seem to just cover the very baisic idea of the book, without really going into alot depth about the plot.
Old July 13 2008, 09:21 AM   #454
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

Has anyone noticed an interesting link.

Ensign Ezri Tigan was the assistant counsellor on the USS Destiny, before she was introduced to us on Deep Space Nine, and now she's a Captain in a trilogy of the same title?

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2008, 06:55 PM   #455
stupidname
Lieutenant Commander

I've often read on this board people maintain that trek books are capable of standing alone, so this might seem like a redundant question... but am i going to be able to pick up destiny and understand it given that i haven't read anything since Avatar?
stupidname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2008, 07:11 PM   #456
JD
Admiral

Well, like you even said, the authors always try to make it so people who haven't read any of the books can still pick up a new book and understand it fine. But we do know that there are several books that are out, or will be soon, that tie into the events of Destiny.
These books are:
Titan: Sword of Damocles
TNG: Before Dishonor and TNG: Greater Than the Sum
maybe ENT: Kobayashi Maru
And Before Dishonor in turn builds off of the previous two TNG novels Resistance and Q & A.
Like I said before, you shouldn't need to read any of these books, but it would probably add to the Destiny experience if you've read the stuff before it.
Old July 13 2008, 08:15 PM   #457
captcalhoun
Admiral

but then, if you're going to read "Sword of Damocles", you ought to read the first three TTN books, and the A Time To series...

but you don't HAVE to...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2008, 08:17 PM   #458
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

stupidname wrote: View Post
I've often read on this board people maintain that trek books are capable of standing alone, so this might seem like a redundant question... but am i going to be able to pick up destiny and understand it given that i haven't read anything since Avatar?
I'd be incredibly surprised if you couldn't. High-profile 'event' books like this are usually seen as good 'jumping-on points'. I have every confidence that Mack will give you all the data you need.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old July 14 2008, 06:15 AM   #459
LightningStorm
The Borg King

JD wrote: View Post
And Before Dishonor in turn builds off of the previous two TNG novels Resistance and Q & A.
I beg to differ on a very small thing here. Beyond grabbing the few new people's names it's pretty clear from reading Before Dishonor, that Before Dishonor was written with no knowledge of the events in Q&A.
Old July 14 2008, 07:43 PM   #460
JD
Admiral

Yeah, I figured I would include since it goes between the other two, and builds off of Resistance.
Old July 14 2008, 07:58 PM   #461
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

Xeris wrote: View Post
Has anyone noticed an interesting link.

Ensign Ezri Tigan was the assistant counsellor on the USS Destiny, before she was introduced to us on Deep Space Nine, and now she's a Captain in a trilogy of the same title?
It's actually just an amusing coincidence, and one that I didn't even notice myself until it came up while I was a writing a scene for book two of the trilogy.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2008, 08:22 PM   #462
Reanok
Commodore

Reading the about the news about this series I can't wait to read them. I really like the covers for the first 2 books.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2008, 10:28 PM   #463
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

Because I offered up a fair amount of information about the Destiny trilogy at the Shore Leave convention this weekend, I'll repeat some of it here, for those of you who couldn't be there.

I'll put most of it in spoiler code; when posting your replies, please do likewise, to prevent accidentally spoiling things for other fans.

This is as much detail as I'm willing to share publicly at this stage, so I'm not likely to answer any followup questions, except with maddeningly vague statements. Just FYI.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2008, 10:53 PM   #464
DarkHorizon
Captain

David Mack wrote: View Post
Because I offered up a fair amount of information about the Destiny trilogy at the Shore Leave convention this weekend, I'll repeat some of it here, for those of you who couldn't be there.
All I can say is: why isn't it October, damnit!
Old July 14 2008, 10:59 PM   #465
tenmei
Fleet Captain

Oooh, Ezri's command crew looks interesting!