Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old July 10 2008, 11:17 PM   #1066
Wouter2
Captain

Re: Spoiler whore's thread! (enter at your own risk)

Peacemaker wrote: View Post
I guess you missed the part where Cavil told D'anna that it was Boomer qua Boomer and not just another Eight.
It is you who needs to pay more attention or misremembers, Peacemaker. At about 12:48 in the episode "The hub", during D'Anna's first scene, the word "Boomer" is used for the first time in that episode. D'Anna: "Boomer's an 8. Shouldn't she be on the other side?". Cavil hasn't used her name, or said anything about her, yet, at this point.

Do you pay attention to what you write? It would mean that Three could discern Boomer from Athena within the same model.
That's trivial, you might as well say that water is wet. It is well-established by now that Cylons, including those of different models (Natalie recognising Boomer in "six of one" is another example), have no problems telling other Cylons apart. And that they couldn't do so in a vision is speculation, so D'Anna could have recognized Boomer in her vision as easily as she does in "The hub", when she sees her in the flesh. After all, we don't know how they do it (we surely can't tell them apart), so who's to say if it also works in a vision?

And this, as so often with you, doesn't touch what I write here about the Final Cylon, when I write it. You may want to pay better attention in the future, as I have a rather extensive paper trail.
That last bit of my previous post here was just a spoiler and a general comment, not aimed specifically at you. I don't even know which candidate you prefer.
Old July 13 2008, 10:10 AM   #1067
kipron
Rear Admiral

Gotta admit, the idea that Boomer is somehow an `abberation' or a `failed Eight' does fit some of the outward evidence:

- D'Anna knew Boomer wasn't in the Fleet (Revelations).
- D'Anna has a pretty good reason to apologise to Boomer (Rapture).
- Athena was in the Last Supper photo, but Boomer wasn't.
- Boomer is still in "shadow," all fearful, emo and bitter.
- Boomer is in serious need of redemption (shooting Adama, threatening Hera).
- Boomer is actually in a position to be redeemed (could she turn on Cavil?).
- She was around for the Olympic Carrier incident, which could be important somehow.
- "By your command."

Still, a few things that don't quite sit right:

- How can the Final Cylon be behind everything, yet not know exactly what it is?
- If Boomer is something other than an Eght, how is it that other Eights can access her memories?
- Boomer has been in either direct or indirect opposition to the Four ever since NC. Isn't that a problem?
- Caprica was a sleeper agent too, and in love even. What makes her any less special?
- There's too much it *doesn't* explain. The loss of the Olympic Carrier, the transmission of D'Annas film, "Adama is a Cylon."

Interesting idea though.
Old July 13 2008, 03:39 PM   #1068
Wouter2
Captain

Kipron;
-It is not certain that the Final Cylon is behind everything; if it is Boomer, she probably doesn't even realise she is the Final Cylon, just like she used to think she was human. The "Head People" may be a better candidate for being "behind everything". That she was in opposition to the final four at times is thus not really a problem - on New Caprica, the four weren't even aware they were Cylons.

-Since Boomer can download in what appears to be, and probably is, the body of an 8, it seems clear that she is at least compatible with the 8s (if downloading is no problem, why would memory sharing be?). How this is possible (her being not an 8 - sort of, yet seemingly identical), is the weak point of this theory. However, don't count out that RDM can find some explanation for this. For example, the 8s could be a copy, perhaps with some subtle changes in their base programming/personality, of Boomer's model, only made many years later.

-Caprica-6 was actually not a sleeper agent; she was fully aware of being a Cylon, whereas Boomer had no doubt (until "Water", at least) that she was fully human. She is the only "sleeper", of the 7 known models, that we've heard about. The Dylan Four are the only others who did not realise what they were.

The idea for Boomer is based on those points, most of which you mentioned in some form in your post:
1.RDM saying repeatedly that no person in the last supper picture is the fifth
2.D'Anna saying there are four Cylons in the fleet, while also threatening to kill a number of colonials on the baseship (between those first 2 points, a lot of candidates seem to be eliminated)
3.Boomer would be back "big time" in S4, according to writer Taylor (hasn't happened in S4.0, so I suppose it's yet to come in S4.5)
4.Boomer is in major need of redemption and can be said to still be in the shadow (fits the Razor prophecy quite well)
5.we have been promised that the reveal of the final Cylon will mean something; it will be "organic" and "satisfying" from a dramatic POV, not "a day player from season 1". Boomer is a fairly important character, in the show from the very beginning, has a complex relationship to a number of other characters (Adama, Tyrol, Tigh, Anders, Starbuck, Gaeta, Caprica-6, D'Anna, Athena) which could be exploited from a dramatic POV. Boomer is a very conflicted character with love/hate relationships to both colonials and Cylons, as she is a Cylon who deep-down feels more human than Cylon, yet has been rejected by the humans because of the whole sleeper agent thing (where she presumably had no influence over). Interestingly, she is also the one who put the lion's share of the rag-tag-fleet together, back in the mini.
6.We have also been told that almost no guess has been correct (a number of weeks ago). Since she is a known Cylon, very few people would expect her to be it.
7.there are arguably a few audiovisual hints that point to Boomer (allthough I'm aware those exists for many other characters as well, and each could be a red herring or coincidence or misinterpretation by me):

a. the music that plays in "Revelations" when D'Anna recognizes the final four on Galactica's hangar deck, is very close to what is played when D'Anna turns her attention on Boomer for the first time on "The Hub". Could be a new theme for D'Anna personally, but IMO it is quite telling and connected to the ID of each of the five.
b. When Tigh confesses to Adama that he is a Cylon in "Revelations", he literally says "like Boomer... [pause]...I'm one of the final five". Disclaimer: I'm cheating by putting two sentences together so the result is out of context (he's saying that he was unaware of being a Cylon, like Boomer, and thus he is one of the final five - Tigh obviosuly doesn't know who the 5th is). But I thought it was pretty remarkable that this line was written in this way, like the writers were giving a wink to the audience
c. Early in S4.0, one of the 8ths wondered if the final five looked anything like "us" (that is, the Cylons of the 7). Since I think it is a given that the final five are human looking just like the other numbered Cylon models (so, not Kara's Viper or Jake the dog), she seems to be effectively wondering if their outward appearance might be similar to one of the 7 known models. Well, she just could be on to something here, as Boomer looks like her twinsister.
d. D'Anna has a personal reaction to one of the FF when she recognizes it; surprise ("you?") and an apology ("I had no idea...") follow. It seems like someone she knows, wasn't very kind to and didn't expect. Anders is a perfect fit (because she very personally tried to kill him), but so is Boomer. Had the writers already decided who the Dylan four were, by this point? From what I've heard the final decision wasn't taken until "Crossroads" was filmed. In that case, the apology is quite likely aimed at the one Cylon that the writers had already firmly in mind as being the final one.

People like Roslin or Adama or Baltar, which were on the baseship when D'Anna said there were four in the fleet, are tempting as final Cylon, but the problem is that they are in the last supper picture and RDM has again confirmed that those are not the final Cylon. So, to find other candidates then Boomer you have to either consider dead (or believed dead) characters of reasonable importance (say, Ellen Tigh or Helena Cain), or find some way to explain why D'Anna could be wrong/lying about the 5th not being in the fleet. The latter requires a theory not any less convoluted than the Boomer one, though.
Or you can maintain that RDM is outright lying and continues to do so, but I think that's very unlikely.
Old July 13 2008, 06:10 PM   #1069
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

^I sometimes think we as fans take the "Last Supper" picture way more seriously than Moore or SCI-FI promotions meant.
Old July 13 2008, 08:21 PM   #1070
Wouter2
Captain

It's not about the picture itself, it's about what RDM himself said about it. Recently he again confirmed this to Maureen Ryan, in email "none of the people in the final supper picture is the final Cylon".

It doesn't require folding the picture or go over all the little details in the picture to find out what that means, does it? It's pretty straightforward: who is on the picture, is not the final Cylon.

So, do you think that Ron Moore is not serious (lying, in other words) when he writes this?
Old July 14 2008, 11:15 AM   #1071
kipron
Rear Admiral

^
Yeah, I take Ron at his word with regards to the LS photo. He's confirmed it, I believe him.

Gotta admit, there is a a nice bit of circularity with the Boomer theory.

The Four seem like humans but...aren't.
Boomer seems like an Eight but...isn't.
Old July 14 2008, 02:09 PM   #1072
flux_29
Commodore

^ so what we saying here? In the begining, Boomer had a different body but had herself downloaded into the body of an eight (and masked herself into becoming one) so the others would'nt find her???

"Victory is mine!" -- Stewie (Family Guy)
Old July 14 2008, 07:48 PM   #1073
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I think what's being said is that Boomer has become fundamentally different, personality-wise, from the other Eights--so much so, she could be considered a distinct model. I'm not sure I buy that, but it's an interesting theory. It just seems like kind of a letdown to have it be Boomer, who has really had very little to do since "Downloaded."
My blog
Old July 14 2008, 07:54 PM   #1074
Wouter2
Captain

I don't think the body is different. Allthough it could be, in which case there should be a hidden program in the Cylon computers that run the downloading process, to make sure that those slightly different spare bodies (a sublty different brain or something) are used only for this special Cylon, and that this special Cylon never downloads into an "ordinary" 8 spare. Since the Cylons are programmed not to think about the 5, they might also have been programmed not to notice something like this (if they would even be inclined to pay close attention to how the whole download process is managed).

More likely, if she is the 5th, the difference lies in the part that is uploaded/downloaded, or there is no difference at all (that is, Cylon model 8 is a carbon copy of one of the Final Five - a bit like a human who gets cloned), other then Boomer's origin and age (and experiences). She would be an early prototype, in that case.
Old July 14 2008, 08:02 PM   #1075
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

And Moore said Starbuck was dead.

Boomer is not the finale Cylon, can we move on yet?
Old July 14 2008, 09:52 PM   #1076
Wouter2
Captain

bigdaddy wrote: View Post

Boomer is not the finale Cylon, can we move on yet?
No.

Lying about Starbuck is one thing (he wanted to shock us with her "death" and subsequent return), lying about what is supposed to be one of the central mysteries of the show (and presented as something the viewers could reason out or at least guess) is quite another. How lame would it be to present Roslin as the final Cylon after he has said three times in interviews that it's not her?

Anyway, 2 pieces of spoilerish news:
-There is a quite interesting Jamie Bamber interview here: http://www.galactica.tv/battlestar-galacti...nterview-2.html

Not really any spoilers, but it does give some feel about the general direction of S4.5 and what Lee will do in it. Some interesting discussion on the more mythical elements of the show (which Bamber doesn't like all that much, it seems) and on Lee's ambition.

-More news on the final Cylon: the reveal won't take long in S4.5, as expected: "If a few people had their way, the Cylon's identity would've been revealed already," a source told SyFy Portal. "They are pivotal in the final batch of episodes, and we're not going to wait until the end to show you who it is." http://www.syfyportal.com/news425206.html
Old July 15 2008, 02:12 AM   #1077
kipron
Rear Admiral

It's entirely possible that she really did die, and that S4 Kara is something else.
Old July 15 2008, 04:16 AM   #1078
Harvey
Admiral

kipron wrote: View Post
It's entirely possible that she really did die, and that S4 Kara is something else.
Hints of her feeling like she was outside her own body early in season four definitely seemed to suggest this, but whatever happened to Starbuck has yet to be revealed.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old July 15 2008, 03:23 PM   #1079
chrinFinity
Commander

It's Cottle.
Old July 17 2008, 08:14 PM   #1080
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

We will find out sooner rather than later....

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]7/16/08: Either a confirmation of Aaron Douglas' comments (or perhaps creative rehashing), another source claims that the showrunners intended for the Final Cylon to be revealed before the mid-season hiatus and that the revealed final Cylon is key to the direction of the second-half storylines. [This does fit with previous news that the showrunners had intended that both parts of the mid-season two-parter be aired before the hiatus.]

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]7/6/08: Aaron Douglas' comments during the writers' strike regarding the Final Cylon: "I was curious quite a bit but it was certainly a shock when I found out who it is. I never would have expected that person. It is revealed in the last thing we shot so if we don’t come back, that will be the end of the show." From Aaron Douglas Interview [This seems to indicate that the Final Cylon is revealed in episode 411, which was the last filmed before the strike. Aaron's comments fit with the mid-season teaser that had Tigh addressing someone as the fifth Cylon.][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
http://www.patriotresource.com/bg/in...on4/cylon.html