Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 14 2008, 12:57 AM   #91
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: The Dark Knight Megathread (USE THIS! Love, the mods)

I will agree with you there. This is the one time where I actually approved of a re-casting verses frowning down on it.
Old July 14 2008, 12:59 AM   #92
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
I will agree with you there. This is the one time where I actually approved of a re-casting verses frowning down on it.

Yeah. Not only is she better looking, a woman who's a better match for Bale, and less vapid of an actress, she's also better looking!
Old July 14 2008, 01:01 AM   #93
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post

Yeah. Not only is she better looking, a woman who's a better match for Bale, and less vapid of an actress, she's also better looking!
She's also much more talented than Holmes, and has the advantage of looking kind of like her. But like you said, more attractive.
Old July 14 2008, 01:18 AM   #94
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2008, 01:23 AM   #95
Agent Richard07
Admiral

[Maggie Gyllenhaal] has the advantage of looking kind of like her. But like you said, more attractive.
Seriously though, yeah I can see a resemblance that I haven't noticed before this movie...

Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2008, 01:36 AM   #96
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post

I showed this to my friend and he shrieked. Thanks.
Old July 14 2008, 01:37 AM   #97
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

[Maggie Gyllenhaal] has the advantage of looking kind of like her. But like you said, more attractive.
Seriously though, yeah I can see a resemblance that I haven't noticed before this movie...

Maggie just looks so cute and wonderous in that pictuee. Katie just looks... vapid.

:goes to watch Stranger Than Fiction:
Old July 14 2008, 01:43 AM   #98
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Maggie just looks so cute and wonderous in that pictuee. Katie just looks... vapid.

I agree. When comparing the two, Maggie does seem a lot more better-suited than Katie.
Old July 14 2008, 01:57 AM   #99
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I agree. When comparing the two, Maggie does seem a lot more better-suited than Katie.
Look at their eyes. Maggie looks deep, thoughtful and gleefully wonderous.

Katie looks like she's trying to decide which box of candy she wants out of the concession stand.
Old July 14 2008, 02:34 AM   #100
nx1701g
Admiral

^ For some reason every time I look at Maggie I can't help but think of that Family Guy cutaway that makes fun of her.
Old July 14 2008, 02:40 AM   #101
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

^^ I love how people are comparing two pictures in the same dramatic context when they clearly are not. As I've said before, I think that Katie and Maggie are about the same when it comes to acting chops. For whatever reason, I cannot stand Maggie in the previous things I've seen her in, but I do admit, she looks more believable in the role (Katie looks very young, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but if you are an Assistant DA...). It is a shame that Katie won't be back in TDK, mostly because I thought she and Two-Face guy (can't think of name) had good chemistry in Thank You for Smoking.

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Ebert's a big Batman fan. He didn't like any of the Burton/Schmacher films.
If memory serves, he actually gave a fairly positive review of Batman Forever, but don't quote me on that.

I can understand him simply saying he doesn't like those efforts, but to continually nitpick and criticize them in my opinion shows bias...
You mean like just about everyone here? Jackson, dude, you have gone silly with love for Batman Begins and Superman Returns and defend those films with all your heart. Doesn't that show bias on your part? I'm not saying it is wrong (I'm right there with you on SR), but perhaps this guy really, really, really hates this current Bat-franchise the way you hate Spidey 2. Maybe he just likes his superhero films light and fluffy, like Fantastic Four was.
Old July 14 2008, 02:48 AM   #102
Aragorn
Admiral

Siskel liked Forever. Ebert hated all four. I know they both liked Mask of the Phantasm, but Siskel didn't like Mark Hamill's voicework.

You can actually see their reviews of the Batman films at At the Movies With Ebert & Roeper.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2008, 02:53 AM   #103
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Broccoli wrote: View Post
^^ I love how people are comparing two pictures in the same dramatic context when they clearly are not.
I dunno. Can't say I've seen Katie do anything that's overly impressed me. Yeah, the pictures are out of context between another but, still, Maggie has a lot more life in her picture and that's generally my impression of her as an actress. Katie, much like her picture, is just "there."
Old July 14 2008, 02:58 AM   #104
Aragorn
Admiral

Katie's top performance is probably Pieces of April (though I'm sure a lot of guys appreciated what she did in The Gift). Maggie's done a lot more of those dark and depressing indy flicks.

But if you need to compare the second set of pics that AgentRichard07 posted, then by the same standard you have to compare the first set of pics.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2008, 03:05 AM   #105
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Broccoli wrote: View Post
^^ I love how people are comparing two pictures in the same dramatic context when they clearly are not. As I've said before, I think that Katie and Maggie are about the same when it comes to acting chops. For whatever reason, I cannot stand Maggie in the previous things I've seen her in, but I do admit, she looks more believable in the role (Katie looks very young, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but if you are an Assistant DA...). It is a shame that Katie won't be back in TDK, mostly because I thought she and Two-Face guy (can't think of name) had good chemistry in Thank You for Smoking.
We're just comparing pictures. And for the record, I think Gyllenhaal is a far better actress (for examples, see Sherrybaby, Stranger Than Fiction, Happy Endings, Secretary).

If memory serves, he actually gave a fairly positive review of Batman Forever, but don't quote me on that.
He disliked all four previous Batman films. Batman Begins was the first live-action Batman film that he gave a Thumbs Up to.

You mean like just about everyone here? Jackson, dude, you have gone silly with love for Batman Begins and Superman Returns and defend those films with all your heart. Doesn't that show bias on your part? I'm not saying it is wrong (I'm right there with you on SR), but perhaps this guy really, really, really hates this current Bat-franchise the way you hate Spidey 2. Maybe he just likes his superhero films light and fluffy, like Fantastic Four was.
I admit, though, that Batman Begins and Superman Returns both have flaws. That's why I re-wrote both. And as much as I dislike Spider-Man 2, I can praise certain parts of it (Danny Elfman's score, the action choreography, the cinematography, et al). It's not that he prefers his superhero films light and fluffy, he just doesn't know how to properly critique a film without coming off as nitpicky and biased. He has no objectivity it seems like. That kind of annoys me.