RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,692
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 478
Newest member: 713brianp27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old July 6 2008, 10:17 PM   #1051
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Re: Spoiler whore's thread! (enter at your own risk)

I read some other stuff from Congo that proved to be correct. It wasn't really major, but he called it on Elosha visiting Roslin in a vision long before it happened and other spoilers broke, and some other things. As to whether he's full of shit now....could be. However, I suspect this really isn't the final "Earth" just like he says. Little things the writers are now quoted as saying point to that being true. His info was never as extensive as Morpheus' info was, but what he's predicted has usually been on the mark--at least what I saw of it. I don't hang around skiffy boards every day.

Take him with a grain of salt, but I suspect he's right.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old July 6 2008, 10:29 PM   #1052
Wouter2
Captain

Okay, thanks for the info. We'll just have to wait and see.
Old July 7 2008, 04:16 PM   #1053
Kaijima
Captain

I'm okay with FrankenStarbuck in theory, though the problem of explaining how a crashed but recognizably intact Viper ended up on "Earth" is a big issue, since the VFX in Malestrom showed her Viper exploding into fragments.

The thing is, this could be used to tie-in with an explanation of the Final Five - Starbuck might not be merely a clone, but could in fact be the true Starbuck's mind and personality transferred into a new body with whatever step-up in technology over the regular Cylons that the Final Five seem to represent.

As for Not Earth, well... it's all in the presentation. The possibility for total failure in storytelling looms large, but with the correct nuances it could work. I'm not adverse myself to the idea that the ruined Earth is the "real" Earth and the one that we're living on (in the real world) is part of the "this has happened before..." cycle, where the 13th tribe fled after a war to find a new home.
Old July 7 2008, 04:25 PM   #1054
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

The Final Five Cylons are different, how is Boomer different? She's not, she is a regular Cylon with 10,000,000 copies.
Old July 7 2008, 07:41 PM   #1055
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

Gods, how I miss Morpheus!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Old July 7 2008, 08:14 PM   #1056
Wouter2
Captain

Mutenroshi wrote: View Post
Gods, how I miss Morpheus!
Who was that, the best source for major spoilers I suppose? What happened to him?
Old July 7 2008, 08:21 PM   #1057
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

He - or more likely, she - worked on "Enterprise" and posted a good deal of interesting information both about future events on the show and some of the backstage goings-on.
Old July 8 2008, 05:43 PM   #1058
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I'm OK with the notion that the Earth we saw on BSG is the one we live on, just in the future... and not, as it turns out, where they really need to be going. Really, what are they going to do? Settle down on that radioactive dump? Not likely. They'll get what clues they need and move on.

The FrankenStarbuck thing sounds creepy and interesting. I actually think I've heard that very idea elsewhere--that Starbuck would find her own body, and destroy it to prevent anyone from finding out the truth.
Old July 8 2008, 11:04 PM   #1059
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
He - or more likely, she
You'd be surprised.
Old July 9 2008, 10:36 PM   #1060
Hicks
Captain

I'm a bit disappointed by it not really being Earth. Two Earths? Please.
Old July 9 2008, 11:35 PM   #1061
Sharr Khan
Rear Admiral

View Sharr Khan's Twitter Profile

How can Boomer be the final cylon when she is a Cylon already?
It'd be really complicated... not one of the brightest notions around the internet. But RDM could always surprise us and make that notion work.

Wouter2 wrote: View Post
Why not? How can Tigh be a Cylon when he is a human already, an old, aging, human, at that?
I would say, apples and oranges. Its actually easier to make the jump that Tigh and friends are Cylons then to some how make it work that a Known Cylon with many sisters is also the "Final Five" Cylon. I can accept the Final Five are different in nature some how. Not so easy to work out the logic of Sharon/Boomer's model is somehow not akin to her fellows.

Sharr
Old July 10 2008, 01:46 AM   #1062
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

I would say, apples and oranges. Its actually easier to make the jump that Tigh and friends are Cylons then to some how make it work that a Known Cylon with many sisters is also the "Final Five" Cylon. I can accept the Final Five are different in nature some how. Not so easy to work out the logic of Sharon/Boomer's model is somehow not akin to her fellows.
Indeed. Note the way that argument's proponents have framed it:

The Boomer and Athena models are physically identical but otherwise subtlely different. Three recognized Boomer as the Final Cylon.

Okay, that argument is self-defeating. Three only has the faces of the Final Five to go by. If Boomer and Athena are physically the same, then Three wouldn't know the difference.

It's much easier to believe that the face she saw was either a face we've not seen or the face of somebody like Socrata Thrace, who, when she died downloaded into a different body altogether. So Three saw the face of Socrata, but now Socrata lives in a different body, so the Final Cylon is still somebody in the Fleet. She just doesn't know it.

DJ Mark Bisson

Say my name, and every color illuminates!
Old July 10 2008, 02:18 AM   #1063
Starwind
Fleet Captain

I'm rather partial now to the idea it's Hera. I know D'Anna saw an adult, but what's to say she didn't see an adult version of her? She seemed pretty certain there were only Four in the fleet, but at the same time not too worried about the apparent absence of the Fifth. She knows something no one else does.

Since Hera has no way of making her way to the baseship, I can see D'Anna lying about the number in the fleet, just so the humans aren't hounding her about the who the Fifth is too much.

Last edited by Starwind; July 10 2008 at 02:25 AM.
Old July 10 2008, 08:05 PM   #1064
Wouter2
Captain

Peacemaker wrote: View Post
The Boomer and Athena models are physically identical but otherwise subtlely different. Three recognized Boomer as the Final Cylon.

Okay, that argument is self-defeating. Three only has the faces of the Final Five to go by. If Boomer and Athena are physically the same, then Three wouldn't know the difference.
Says who? She only saw the faces of Athena (on New Caprica) and Boomer on the hub, yet she immediatelly recognized either, and no it's not because of hair styling. Cylons can pick out individuals within models, without fail. It is no stretch at all that D'Anna could do the same in a vision, since we don't even know how the Cylons can identify themselves with such accuracy, despite them being seemingly identical.

There is now info on the 5th: http://spoilergeeks.blogspot.com/200...ica-scoop.html
from Mark Stern, a Sci Fi Channel exec.: the final Cylon reveal will be "organic and satisfying" and not "some day player from season one."
Thanks for the Galactica sitrep blog, for pointing this out.

So, the final Cylon will not be a glorified extra, it will be someone who is or was an integral part of the show.
Old July 10 2008, 10:03 PM   #1065
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

Says who? She only saw the faces of Athena (on New Caprica) and Boomer on the hub, yet she immediatelly recognized either, and no it's not because of hair styling. Cylons can pick out individuals within models, without fail. It is no stretch at all that D'Anna could do the same in a vision, since we don't even know how the Cylons can identify themselves with such accuracy, despite them being seemingly identical.
I guess you missed the part where Cavil told D'anna that it was Boomer qua Boomer and not just another Eight.

And you're "theory" is self-refuting by the very way you've framed it. Do you pay attention to what you write? It would mean that Three could discern Boomer from Athena within the same model.

But the theory you and other espouse is that the Eight Model and the Final Cylon, eg. Boomer, aredifferent models. How would she be able to tell the difference between the two models if two were visually identical? She saw the faces of the Final Five. If one of those faces is identical to the face of one of the other models, then, pray tell, how could she tell the difference? What changed after her vision so that she could see the difference between Boomer and every other Eight, when all she saw, and dialog has continually affirmed is a set of faces.
Now, you can reframe that theory, but to do so is a tacit admission that the first one is a failure.
There is now info on the 5th: http://spoilergeeks.blogspot.com/200...ica-scoop.html
from Mark Stern, a Sci Fi Channel exec.: the final Cylon reveal will be "organic and satisfying" and not "some day player from season one."
Thanks for the Galactica sitrep blog, for pointing this out.
So, the final Cylon will not be a glorified extra, it will be someone who is or was an integral part of the show.[/quote]

And this, as so often with you, doesn't touch what I write here about the Final Cylon, when I write it. You may want to pay better attention in the future, as I have a rather extensive paper trail.

I've never said that the Final Cylon will be "some glorified extra." If you believe I have, then I tell you what, why don't you enter the archives and provide the relevant quotes for us all to read.

DJ Mark Bisson

Say my name, and every color illuminates!