TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old July 5 2008, 08:37 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Abrams On 'Star Trek' Reboot

The Batman Begins style reboot of Star Trek XI is intended to appeal to mainstream audiences as well as to Star Trek fans.

As reported by Sci Fi Pulse, according to J.J. Abrams, Star Trek XI should appeal to a wider movie audience, leaving out no one including non-Star Trek fans as well as the traditional fanbase.

"The whole point was to try to make this movie for fans of movies, not fans of 'Star Trek' necessarily," said Abrams. "It was an opportunity to take what I think has been a maligned world and treat it in a way that felt genuinely thrilling."

Abrams is mindful of the Star Trek fan base though. "We've made sure we're serving the people who are completely enamored with 'Star Trek'," he explained. "But at the same time, this film is so unlike what you expect, so unlike the 'Star Trek' you've seen. I can tell you that the idea of the universe of 'Star Trek' has never been given this kind of treatment."

To read more, head to the article located here.

Old July 5 2008, 09:34 PM   #2
Jolly Old Saint James
Rear Admiral

Re: Abrams On 'Star Trek' Reboot

Excellent news!
Old July 5 2008, 09:42 PM   #3
MattJC
Fleet Captain

James Bond wrote: View Post
Excellent news!
Only to those who love remakes.
Old July 5 2008, 09:45 PM   #4
Jolly Old Saint James
Rear Admiral

MattJC wrote: View Post
Excellent news!
And those who love Star Trek.
Old July 5 2008, 09:47 PM   #5
MattJC
Fleet Captain

MattJC wrote: View Post
Excellent news!
And those who love Star Trek.
I love Star Trek, but not remakes and whatever it is Abrams made.
Old July 6 2008, 01:07 AM   #6
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

I'm wondering how similar this is going to be to what RDM did with BSG. Some of the things I've heard or seen about it so far seem to point in a somewhat similar direction (I don't necessarily mean that it's going to be drastically darker).

In any case, I hope that's what we're heading for. That could mean this is going to be a really exciting movie.
Old July 6 2008, 02:33 AM   #7
gastrof
Rear Admiral

TrekToday wrote: View Post
The <i>Batman Begins</i> style reboot of <i>Star Trek XI</i> is intended to appeal to mainstream audiences as well as to <i>Star Trek</i> fans.<p>As reported by <A class="link" HREF="http://scifipulse.net">Sci Fi Pulse</A>, according to <font color=yellow>J.J. Abrams</font>, <i>Star Trek XI</i> should appeal to a wider movie audience, leaving out no one including non-Star Trek fans as well as the traditional fanbase. <p>"The whole point was to try to make this movie for fans of movies, not fans of 'Star Trek' necessarily," said Abrams...
Talk about biting the hand that feeds you....
Old July 6 2008, 09:22 AM   #8
TheRealNaveed
Lieutenant

Send a message via AIM to TheRealNaveed Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to TheRealNaveed Send a message via Yahoo to TheRealNaveed

... I'm pretty sure I've read this exact article five times, once for each of the past five months.
Old July 6 2008, 09:47 AM   #9
nx1701g
Admiral

I'm sorry to say that this is officially the death of Star Trek and I don't honestly think that it'll be reborn this time at least for a while. Star Trek isn't going to appeal to anyone but die hard fans and maybe some sci-fi or Abrams fans. It isn't going to appeal to the average teenager on a friday night date night or anything of that sort. Trek is not looked favorably upon by the target demographic of the film (teens and young adults) and seeing these films is considered geeky. Case in point when I was in High School a friend and I went to see Nemesis in the theatre. I don't particularly care about popularity contests but he was incredibly popular and was the Quarterback of our football team. When Nemesis was over we were leaving the theatre and a group of kids from our school spotted us coming out of the theatre after seeing it. Within two hours he went from most popular to one of the least popular in our school and was labelled a geek. Media supports the geeky stereotype in shows like Family Guy and American Dad where the parents are portrayed as being Trek fans (Peter Griffin says Star Trek is his favorite show; Stan Smith says he likes all Treks but DS9) but are critical of their children for having an interest in the show (Stan Smith is best for this is relation to his son's character Steve). Things like this have me a little worried for the success of the new film and any new series since they are gearing it more for general audiences than fans (he can say it'll appeal to Trek fans but he basically just said it's geared more toward movie fans). Plus the price tag of the film gives me concern because they'll need a lot of ticket sales to recover what they spent.

So in short farewell Trek, you were fun while you lasted but it's time to say adieu. I look forward to meeting the next reboot.
Old July 6 2008, 02:55 PM   #10
TJinPgh
Captain

Excellent news!
What news?

It's the same pointless drivel we've heard since this project began.

Every movie that has ever been made (let alone every Star Trek film) has been made with the same intent.

This is yet another non-news news story from Abrams and Co.
Old July 6 2008, 07:41 PM   #11
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Another day, another vaguely worded press release telling everyone what they want to hear. (Well except for those who approve of nothing, ever. )

I'm wondering how similar this is going to be to what RDM did with BSG.
Not very, I hope. The original BSG had very little worth salvaging, but TOS has plenty going for it. If Abrams goes back to TOS and rebuilds from there - a somewhat different direction than the one TNG went with - that would be fine, but since TNG was an acceptable extension of Star Trek, I can't see why Abrams' "line" would be starkly different from TNG. Less sanitized and snoozy than TNG, but still strongly reminiscent of all the spinoff series. Star Trek really doesn't give anyone that much latitude for interpretation.

My quatloos are on this: even if Abrams doesn't intend to use DS9 as a model, even if he's never seen DS9, we will end up with a Star Trek extension that will remind people of DS9 and a lot of people will think it's intentional. This is because DS9 is the way to re-create Star Trek in a way that is more to the taste of modern audiences, and since that's Abrams' goal, that is what we will get.
Old July 6 2008, 08:23 PM   #12
MattJC
Fleet Captain

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Another day, another vaguely worded press release telling everyone what they want to hear. (Well except for those who approve of nothing, ever. )

I'm wondering how similar this is going to be to what RDM did with BSG.
Not very, I hope. The original BSG had very little worth salvaging, but TOS has plenty going for it. If Abrams goes back to TOS and rebuilds from there - a somewhat different direction than the one TNG went with - that would be fine, but since TNG was an acceptable extension of Star Trek, I can't see why Abrams' "line" would be starkly different from TNG. Less sanitized and snoozy than TNG, but still strongly reminiscent of all the spinoff series. Star Trek really doesn't give anyone that much latitude for interpretation.

My quatloos are on this: even if Abrams doesn't intend to use DS9 as a model, even if he's never seen DS9, we will end up with a Star Trek extension that will remind people of DS9 and a lot of people will think it's intentional. This is because DS9 is the way to re-create Star Trek in a way that is more to the taste of modern audiences, and since that's Abrams' goal, that is what we will get.

Oh, please. If DS9 was what modern audiences wanted, then there would have been a DS9 movie by now. It doesn't help that the ratings for that show shrank as it went along.
Old July 6 2008, 08:39 PM   #13
MattJC
Fleet Captain

Outside of Trek fans, nobody even realizes DS9 exists.
Old July 6 2008, 09:21 PM   #14
Lord Garth

Not necessarily DS9 per se, but the direction DS9 was moving in is what I think Temis meant. A direction that Rick Berman and Paramount wanted to restrain out of an insistence that Star Trek be a family show that could be accessible any week, meaning that DS9 could have only ever gone so far.

To quote Ron Moore in an interview:

IGNFF: It seems like most of the notes that would come down from on high were generally either to deaden or lighten a script. Is that assessment accurate?

MOORE:
To an extent. I think it was more like the notes tended to become more conservative. "Don't take as many chances." "Be safer." "Don't go out on a limb with this." "Be careful we still like the character." "Don't let the character make too many mistakes." "Don't get too crazy with the ideas." They were just always conservative. You were always pulling back from something. You were never given a note saying, "Go farther. Go wilder. This needs to be more shocking." It was always "Pull it back. Be safer." Even in humor, "It's too funny." "It's too much of a joke." It was always make it smaller, make it more subtle… just play it safe.
I know you won't but I'll offer anyway: feel free to read the whole interview.

Anyway, considering the post-FC movies, VOY, and ENT all moved away from DS9 and none of them turned out any better, how does actively avoiding anything DS9 either did or try to do any better than not?

Aside from that, DS9 was produced and aired in the Clinton '90s, not the post-9/11 era. Though some people might not think so, they're two different times and a DS9 that was unshackled, unrestrained, and introduced in 2001 or later would've met with a different reception.

Old July 6 2008, 09:25 PM   #15
ancient
Vice Admiral

Repeated news. I think Abrams said that like 4 months ago.

This is just an open invite to Star Trek haters to come in here and start bashing Trek.

Thanks. I needed that.