RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,405
Posts: 5,505,908
Members: 25,127
Currently online: 678
Newest member: OneOfFour

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

View Poll Results: What did you think?
1 - V. Poor shouldnt have made this movie. 4 2.34%
2 - Pretty Poor 7 4.09%
3 - Meh.. okay. definitely worth a download.. 38 22.22%
4 - V. Good. 104 60.82%
5 - Best Stargate ever. 18 10.53%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Thread Tools
Old July 4 2008, 04:37 PM   #16
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman
 
George Bailey's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View George Bailey's Twitter Profile
Re: Stargate Continuum - Grading and Discussion

I don't think there was anything in particular wrong with it, but I also didn't think there was anything particularly great about it.

I guess it didn't have a big enough budget, or something. It's a movie, so why no real epic battles? I think we've seen bigger battles on the TV show. I know there was a lot of ships, but what exactly did they do, besides sit there?
Overall I think I have to agree with firehawk, there's too much missed opportunity in there, that makes you think of what could have been. Like it'd have been nice to see the alternate Jackson actually being encouraged, or at least feeling stalked, by our Jackson. Or people getting attached to people in this new time line, and making it more difficult to erase it.
I don't know, I think the writers are getting a bit full of themselves, in the same way the Trek writers did, and thinking the fans will buy anything they sell.
I'm not really a harsh critic of them or the show, but nearly everything in the last year or two has felt really lackluster.
__________________
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is online now  
Old July 4 2008, 05:56 PM   #17
AJBryant
Fleet Captain
 
AJBryant's Avatar
 
Location: Indiana
Re: Stargate Continuum - Grading and Discussion

Australis wrote: View Post
I agree.




Tony
AJBryant is offline  
Old July 4 2008, 06:08 PM   #18
Bomber
Lieutenant
 
Re: Stargate Continuum - Grading and Discussion

I enjoyed it. I also squeed a little whenever and "old" face popped up. I wasn't expected too much after Ark of Truth. I liked AoT until the Replinator. That was too much for me. This one, from beginning to end I really really liked. I would have liked more Jack screentime, but the little bit we got was pretty good.

To the comments about things slowly dissappearing in the beginning: My take on that is that Ba'al was making changes slowly, and each change net a dissappearance in their future. Just my 2 cents.
Bomber is offline  
Old July 4 2008, 06:09 PM   #19
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman
 
George Bailey's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View George Bailey's Twitter Profile
Re: Stargate Continuum - Grading and Discussion

Bomber wrote: View Post
I enjoyed it. I also squeed a little whenever and "old" face popped up. I wasn't expected too much after Ark of Truth. I liked AoT until the Replinator. That was too much for me. This one, from beginning to end I really really liked. I would have liked more Jack screentime, but the little bit we got was pretty good.

To the comments about things slowly dissappearing in the beginning: My take on that is that Ba'al was making changes slowly, and each change net a dissappearance in their future. Just my 2 cents.
Even if you're right, why would they notice the changes?
__________________
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is online now  
Old July 4 2008, 06:24 PM   #20
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral
 
firehawk12's Avatar
 
Location: EXILE + ATTON = GUUUUUUSH!!!! (pic by aimo)
Re: Stargate Continuum - Grading and Discussion

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
I don't think there was anything in particular wrong with it, but I also didn't think there was anything particularly great about it.

I guess it didn't have a big enough budget, or something. It's a movie, so why no real epic battles? I think we've seen bigger battles on the TV show. I know there was a lot of ships, but what exactly did they do, besides sit there?
Overall I think I have to agree with firehawk, there's too much missed opportunity in there, that makes you think of what could have been. Like it'd have been nice to see the alternate Jackson actually being encouraged, or at least feeling stalked, by our Jackson. Or people getting attached to people in this new time line, and making it more difficult to erase it.
I don't know, I think the writers are getting a bit full of themselves, in the same way the Trek writers did, and thinking the fans will buy anything they sell.
I'm not really a harsh critic of them or the show, but nearly everything in the last year or two has felt really lackluster.
The fundamental problem with time travel episodes in a TV show is that the alternate reality is almost always worse than the "real" reality, which means the characters have absolutely no incentive to NOT revert back to their original timeline.
Imagine if things were actually BETTER. What would SG-1 (or any random Trek crew or whomever) do then?
Hell, if they brought back Frasier and then Sam and Daniel were forced to acknowledge that restoring their timeline would basically mean killing her, the whole "consequences" thing could have at least been played up more.
Instead, we get Daniel telling off the President. Yes, we know you're right Daniel... and that's the problem.
__________________
The best reason to watch Curling:
Johnson Sisters!

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline  
Old July 4 2008, 06:52 PM   #21
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman
 
George Bailey's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View George Bailey's Twitter Profile
Re: Stargate Continuum - Grading and Discussion

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
I don't think there was anything in particular wrong with it, but I also didn't think there was anything particularly great about it.

I guess it didn't have a big enough budget, or something. It's a movie, so why no real epic battles? I think we've seen bigger battles on the TV show. I know there was a lot of ships, but what exactly did they do, besides sit there?
Overall I think I have to agree with firehawk, there's too much missed opportunity in there, that makes you think of what could have been. Like it'd have been nice to see the alternate Jackson actually being encouraged, or at least feeling stalked, by our Jackson. Or people getting attached to people in this new time line, and making it more difficult to erase it.
I don't know, I think the writers are getting a bit full of themselves, in the same way the Trek writers did, and thinking the fans will buy anything they sell.
I'm not really a harsh critic of them or the show, but nearly everything in the last year or two has felt really lackluster.
The fundamental problem with time travel episodes in a TV show is that the alternate reality is almost always worse than the "real" reality, which means the characters have absolutely no incentive to NOT revert back to their original timeline.
Imagine if things were actually BETTER. What would SG-1 (or any random Trek crew or whomever) do then?
Hell, if they brought back Frasier and then Sam and Daniel were forced to acknowledge that restoring their timeline would basically mean killing her, the whole "consequences" thing could have at least been played up more.
Instead, we get Daniel telling off the President. Yes, we know you're right Daniel... and that's the problem.
I not holding that against it, given that it's the general conceit you get with pretty much all these stories. But given they have told pretty much the same story a couple of times now, and they've got 10 years worth of continuity to play with, couldn't they at least change something that gives them an alternative alternative story? Rather than just "We did something different early on, and now we're gonna get wiped out."

What if Jackson wasn't the one to solve it, but did prove his theory, and outed the stargate program unknowingly?

What if Jonas helped them find something that caused them to defeat the Goa'uld earlier, and they never ran in to the Ori?

What if they met the Furlings instead of the Asgard, and progressed faster because of it?

Or even, what if they accidently changed the timeline for their better, but someone else came by and told them it needed to change back? Do the story from the opposite perspective, with the other guy winning and changing the timeline, and just don't even try to explain it in Atlantis, just one week, all of a sudden everything is ever so slightly different.
__________________
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is online now  
Old July 4 2008, 06:56 PM   #22
DWF
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Re: Stargate Continuum - Grading and Discussion

Imagine if things were actually BETTER. What would SG-1 (or any random Trek crew or whomever) do then?
I have to wonder where the drama is in a story like that.

What if Jackson wasn't the one to solve it, but did prove his theory, and outed the stargate program unknowingly?

What if Jonas helped them find something that caused them to defeat the Goa'uld earlier, and they never ran in to the Ori?

What if they met the Furlings instead of the Asgard, and progressed faster because of it?
Yeah let's just throw out ten years of continuity, nobody'd complain about right?
__________________
The greatest science fiction series of all time is
Doctor Who! And I'll take you all on, one-by-one
or all in a bunch to back it up!"
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline  
Old July 4 2008, 07:06 PM   #23
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman
 
George Bailey's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View George Bailey's Twitter Profile
Re: Stargate Continuum - Grading and Discussion

DWF wrote: View Post
Imagine if things were actually BETTER. What would SG-1 (or any random Trek crew or whomever) do then?
I have to wonder where the drama is in a story like that.
I suppose the drama is in the personal decisions they have to make... Change the time line to get back to what they know, but ruin all the good that has come of it, or live with it and never have had the outcome of certain events in your own time line.

What if Jackson wasn't the one to solve it, but did prove his theory, and outed the stargate program unknowingly?

What if Jonas helped them find something that caused them to defeat the Goa'uld earlier, and they never ran in to the Ori?

What if they met the Furlings instead of the Asgard, and progressed faster because of it?
Yeah let's just throw out ten years of continuity, nobody'd complain about right?
I'm not saying they should have done that in Continuum, or suggesting it should be done at all, just it'd be interesting to see.
Although, I think it could be done, and work but it would take a lot of planning.
__________________
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is online now  
Old July 4 2008, 07:45 PM   #24
ITElf
Vice Admiral
 
ITElf's Avatar
 
Location: ITL
Re: Stargate Continuum - Grading and Discussion

As soon as the time travel plot was underway, I thought....RESET! As did you all. And it was. Meh.

But it was entertaining enough, mostly. Nice to see Jack again.
__________________
"Closed this morning as Ravenscroft, the bakery's dog, sprained his mouth whistling round a corner."
- Tockleys Bakery
ITElf is offline  
Old July 4 2008, 07:53 PM   #25
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman
 
George Bailey's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View George Bailey's Twitter Profile
Re: Stargate Continuum - Grading and Discussion

ITL wrote: View Post
As soon as the time travel plot was underway, I thought....RESET! As did you all. And it was. Meh.

But it was entertaining enough, mostly. Nice to see Jack again.
Shame he wasn't more involved though... and is it me, or did RDA look like he's gained a bit of weight?
__________________
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is online now  
Old July 4 2008, 07:55 PM   #26
ITElf
Vice Admiral
 
ITElf's Avatar
 
Location: ITL
Re: Stargate Continuum - Grading and Discussion

He did. He really did.

__________________
"Closed this morning as Ravenscroft, the bakery's dog, sprained his mouth whistling round a corner."
- Tockleys Bakery
ITElf is offline  
Old July 4 2008, 10:43 PM   #27
DWF
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Re: Stargate Continuum - Grading and Discussion

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
DWF wrote: View Post
Imagine if things were actually BETTER. What would SG-1 (or any random Trek crew or whomever) do then?
I have to wonder where the drama is in a story like that.
I suppose the drama is in the personal decisions they have to make... Change the time line to get back to what they know, but ruin all the good that has come of it, or live with it and never have had the outcome of certain events in your own time line.
But there's no real conflict there if the parallel universe is in someway better than the one you came from threre's no real story there.

What if Jackson wasn't the one to solve it, but did prove his theory, and outed the stargate program unknowingly?

What if Jonas helped them find something that caused them to defeat the Goa'uld earlier, and they never ran in to the Ori?

What if they met the Furlings instead of the Asgard, and progressed faster because of it?
Yeah let's just throw out ten years of continuity, nobody'd complain about right?
I'm not saying they should have done that in Continuum, or suggesting it should be done at all, just it'd be interesting to see.
Although, I think it could be done, and work but it would take a lot of planning.[/quote]

That would mean undermining everything they just spent the last ten years building in the first place.
__________________
The greatest science fiction series of all time is
Doctor Who! And I'll take you all on, one-by-one
or all in a bunch to back it up!"
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline  
Old July 4 2008, 10:56 PM   #28
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman
 
George Bailey's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View George Bailey's Twitter Profile
Re: Stargate Continuum - Grading and Discussion

DWF wrote: View Post
Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
DWF wrote: View Post
I have to wonder where the drama is in a story like that.
I suppose the drama is in the personal decisions they have to make... Change the time line to get back to what they know, but ruin all the good that has come of it, or live with it and never have had the outcome of certain events in your own time line.
But there's no real conflict there if the parallel universe is in someway better than the one you came from threre's no real story there.
Personally I think there's plenty of room for conflict, from the characters emotional state, the conflict between wanting to stay in a better place, but if that came at the price of something bad happening, say the whole Jaffa race being extinct.

What if Jackson wasn't the one to solve it, but did prove his theory, and outed the stargate program unknowingly?

What if Jonas helped them find something that caused them to defeat the Goa'uld earlier, and they never ran in to the Ori?

What if they met the Furlings instead of the Asgard, and progressed faster because of it?
Yeah let's just throw out ten years of continuity, nobody'd complain about right?
I'm not saying they should have done that in Continuum, or suggesting it should be done at all, just it'd be interesting to see.
Although, I think it could be done, and work but it would take a lot of planning.
That would mean undermining everything they just spent the last ten years building in the first place.
Because you don't necessarily need to throw everything out, and if you have people who remember what's changed, or have what exactly changed be revealed over time, you could have a real meaningful change, without having to lose everything that was built up over the years.
__________________
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is online now  
Old July 4 2008, 11:43 PM   #29
DWF
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Re: Stargate Continuum - Grading and Discussion

Personally I think there's plenty of room for conflict, from the characters emotional state, the conflict between wanting to stay in a better place, but if that came at the price of something bad happening, say the whole Jaffa race being extinct.
I don't think even O'Neill would think twice about making a choice like that.

Because you don't necessarily need to throw everything out, and if you have people who remember what's changed, or have what exactly changed be revealed over time, you could have a real meaningful change, without having to lose everything that was built up over the years.
You're going to all that in a mere 100 minute movie?
__________________
The greatest science fiction series of all time is
Doctor Who! And I'll take you all on, one-by-one
or all in a bunch to back it up!"
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline  
Old July 4 2008, 11:51 PM   #30
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman
 
George Bailey's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View George Bailey's Twitter Profile
Re: Stargate Continuum - Grading and Discussion

DWF wrote: View Post
Personally I think there's plenty of room for conflict, from the characters emotional state, the conflict between wanting to stay in a better place, but if that came at the price of something bad happening, say the whole Jaffa race being extinct.
I don't think even O'Neill would think twice about making a choice like that.
Doesn't even have to be something that big, could be something very personal, like Odo changing the timeline in Children of Time.

Because you don't necessarily need to throw everything out, and if you have people who remember what's changed, or have what exactly changed be revealed over time, you could have a real meaningful change, without having to lose everything that was built up over the years.
You're going to all that in a mere 100 minute movie? [/quote]

As I said, I'm not saying it should have been done in Continuum, and I don't hold the fact it holds to the usual conceit against it. It would just be interesting to see something like that, something different, happen. Basically, I'm thinking out loud.
__________________
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is online now  
 

Bookmarks

Tags
review, stargate continuum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.