Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old July 2 2008, 08:24 PM   #16
setacourse
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Farscape reference in Demons of Air?

foravalon wrote: View Post
Keith does like to use "frell" a lot. Unrelated, but there's also a Doctor Who reference in the first Vanguard book.
He does? There is?? *requests Vanguard: Harbinger from library*

JD wrote: View Post
See I didn't even get the Exomorph one until someone pointed that out to me, and that one was pretty obvious once I realize what it was. I just remembered that I did get Huilan right off the bad, but that's the only one the immediately comes to mind, although there probably have been a few others I got as quickly. For me I can usually pick out the influence of names and such fairly quickly, it's just the descriptions of people and things that I don't usually pick up.
See? Diff'rent strokes. I didn't pick up on Huilan until I either read one of the lovely annotations or read it here. And my little sister loves Lilo & Stitch!

The exomorph one slowly peeled back the layers of suspicion as to who Taran'atar was fighting as each new description until I was certain. That's the one that amuses me most, because it's only described, not named. If I loved Stitch like my sister does, that would probably be my favorite.

Isn't Ishmael the one with all of the cameo appearances by characters from other series, and franchises?
Wikipedia Yep.
setacourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2008, 08:48 PM   #17
captcalhoun
Admiral

is Firefly why there's a Klingon with a fetish for St'aw'berRies?

the first time i read "Eleven Hours Out" i missed it, but the second time i noticed the U.S.S. Columbia's crew are all named for the crew of the shuttle Columbia.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2008, 01:15 AM   #18
foravalon
Fleet Captain

Dayton Ward wrote: View Post
lvsxy808 wrote: View Post
Does somebody reverse the polarity of the neutron flow?
^ Not on a first date, no.

What?
Subtle ref to Jon Pertwee the 3rd Doctor and his infamous techno-babble I believe.
foravalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2008, 04:53 AM   #19
setacourse
Lieutenant Commander

^ I think Dayton's What? is just his "surprise" at our shock to his turning Who technobabble into something erotic.

the first time i read "Eleven Hours Out" i missed it, but the second time i noticed the U.S.S. Columbia's crew are all named for the crew of the shuttle Columbia.
Don't know about the Klingon's love for them, but I recall an author mentioning a young girl gifting a small red object to get people to take them away in their ship was a Kaylee strawberry ref I never would've gotten on my own. Forgot which one, but I think it's SCE.

I noticed Columbia because of the name McCool, which caused me to remember, look him up and realize they all were.
Old July 3 2008, 02:21 PM   #20
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher

View Dayton Ward's Twitter Profile

foravalon wrote:
Subtle ref to Jon Pertwee the 3rd Doctor and his infamous techno-babble I believe.
Rest assured, I got the reference

"tlhingAn HoL, Mother F*cker! Do you speak it?!"
Dayton Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2008, 04:07 PM   #21
foravalon
Fleet Captain

Sweet, I was concerned about your geekdom for a sec there...
Old July 4 2008, 02:06 AM   #22
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

setacourse wrote: View Post
I recall an author mentioning a young girl gifting a small red object to get people to take them away in their ship was a Kaylee strawberry ref I never would've gotten on my own. Forgot which one, but I think it's SCE.
You're thinking of the annotations I did for SCE: Out of the Cocoon, though what I actually wrote was, "Any similarity to any other spaceship passengers offering to pay for passage off-planet with a box of strawberry-ish objects is purely coincidental."

The similarity between the scene I had written (before specifying the data discs were "strawberry red") to the Kaylee-Book scene in "Serenity" seemed pretty blatant to me at the time -- probably because I had just received the Firefly DVD set the Christmas before. Three years later, maybe not quite so much.
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2008, 05:51 AM   #23
setacourse
Lieutenant Commander

^ *checks* Ahh, and in an antique wooden box. I see the similarity once you put the pieces together, but it wasn't as obvious as if she'd put one of the discs in her mouth and rolled her eyes up in pleasure. By the way, Kara McClay--is that Tara McClay on the brain?

PS: I love annotations. To grasp the myriad connections that add texture (and grins, like p. 58: "God help us; we're in the hands of engineers." This same line was spoken by Jeff Goldblum's character in Jurassic Park.) and for side notes like Keith's note about getting the SCE vibe.
Old July 4 2008, 07:48 AM   #24
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
Either that, or it's a Stephen Ratliff reference. *shudders*
Old July 4 2008, 03:03 PM   #25
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

setacourse wrote: View Post
By the way, Kara McClay--is that Tara McClay on the brain?
Wow... no, I honestly never realized that I'd done that.
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2008, 06:46 PM   #26
setacourse
Lieutenant Commander

^ Hee, I didn't see that until yesterday when I reread the scene with Whedon in mind.
Old July 6 2008, 08:20 AM   #27
foravalon
Fleet Captain

Just started Enemy Territory and found a new one, Elabrej First Mate "Bialar" , nice.
Old July 6 2008, 10:42 AM   #28
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

foravalon wrote: View Post
Just started Enemy Territory and found a new one, Elabrej First Mate "Bialar" , nice.
It's been a while since I saw Farscape and I kinda blocked out most of it, and I never watched much of Firefly, so would someone mind filling me in on my ignorance?

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2008, 01:24 PM   #29
Christopher
Writer

I believe Bialar was the first name of Commander Crais, the Farscape character who started out as the main recurring villain but then became more of an ambivalent character and eventually an antihero.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2008, 04:41 PM   #30
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

Christopher wrote: View Post
I believe Bialar was the first name of Commander Crais, the Farscape character who started out as the main recurring villain but then became more of an ambivalent character and eventually an antihero.
Thanks for clearing that up.

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote