Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old June 29 2008, 04:36 AM   #31
ancient
Vice Admiral

Re: 'Star Trek XI' Spoilers From AICN

I for one can be sustained quite nicely with a few pics of the Ship & uniforms. Maybe a ship interior! I want nothing detailed about the plot, that's what going to the actual movie is for.
Old June 29 2008, 05:12 AM   #32
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
Jack Bauer wrote: View Post
Apple?
Yeah, they're a little west coast company that makes consumer gadgets and used to release Beatles albums. I think they also own a couple of companies that manufacture white and dayglo translucent plastics.
They also, apparently, manufacture a superior Starfleet bridge.
Old June 29 2008, 05:15 AM   #33
Aragorn
Admiral

Tyson wrote: View Post
I basically agree with this. We're not really being told anything about this film, which is really irritating for those of us who want desperately to be excited over it. All these articles and "leaks" with the exception of a few blurry photos of the set, are basically non-information.

I understand the need for secrecy, but it's it's starting to become frustrating to those of us looking for good reasons to feel good about this film.
What are you talking about???? According to a certain poster, he already has more than enough information about the movie to form a 100% complete and accurate negative review of it! Which will completely validated by the 15 times he goes to see it in search of more things to hate that will fulfill his prophecy.
Old June 29 2008, 05:34 AM   #34
TJinPgh
Captain

Aragorn wrote: View Post

What are you talking about???? According to a certain poster, he already has more than enough information about the movie to form a 100% complete and accurate negative review of it! Which will completely validated by the 15 times he goes to see it in search of more things to hate that will fulfill his prophecy.
Since there's more than one of us out there that doesn't think that this movie will be successful, I won't make assumptions about whom you are speaking.

I'll simply say that I will never know whether this movie is any good or not, as I have no intention of seeing it.

But, as I've said in the past, the fact that I believe it will be a box office failure has nothing to do with my personal decision to not go see it.

I no longer patronize recast and re-imagined films. At least those I know ahead of time fall into those categories.

I was a big fan of Get Smart, but I won't be seeing that one, either.

Will I ever see this movie? Probably. It will show up on some non-premium TV channel sooner or later.
Old June 29 2008, 04:07 PM   #35
ancient
Vice Admiral

b-wuh?
Old June 29 2008, 11:46 PM   #36
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Jack Bauer wrote: View Post
Apple?
Yeah, they're a little west coast company that makes consumer gadgets and used to release Beatles albums. I think they also own a couple of companies that manufacture white and dayglo translucent plastics.
They also, apparently, manufacture a superior Starfleet bridge.
Actually, Knowles only said that it looked like Apple product - in fact, the Enterprise Bridge is manufactured by Samsung.
Old June 30 2008, 04:07 AM   #37
MANT!
Rear Admiral

I'm looking forward to seein this puppy...
Old June 30 2008, 05:37 AM   #38
Aragorn
Admiral

Well, TJinPgh, unless you've actually said that every piece of information that's come out about this movie (which everyone else says is a whole lot about nothing) is more than enough to form a conclusive and decisive negative opinion on everything about the movie (I guess a blurry picture of John Cho's back is as good as watching the actual movie from start to finish), and spend all your time bitching on this board about how bad it's going to be, then I'm not talking to you.
Old June 30 2008, 06:27 AM   #39
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Actually, Knowles only said that it looked like Apple product - in fact, the Enterprise Bridge is manufactured by Samsung.
Ah, crud. Oh well. I heard Starfleet was switching to Intel anyway.
Old June 30 2008, 06:28 AM   #40
TJinPgh
Captain

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Well, TJinPgh, unless you've actually said that every piece of information that's come out about this movie (which everyone else says is a whole lot about nothing) is more than enough to form a conclusive and decisive negative opinion on everything about the movie (I guess a blurry picture of John Cho's back is as good as watching the actual movie from start to finish), and spend all your time bitching on this board about how bad it's going to be, then I'm not talking to you.
Sarcasm duly noted.

Though, I reject the notion that forming a negative opinion based on the information that's been released is no more or less valid than forming a positive one.

I'll simply say I'm an American movie goer. We form opinions on movies on a weekly basis having been given far less information than what's gone around these boards.

Which, as I said before, is something that any Trek movie must contend with if they are going to try to attract something beyond the existing Trek fan.

There isn't a movie goer much above the age of 15 that doesn't already have an opinion of everything Star Trek. Most of those opinions are negative despite the fact that most have probably never seen a single episode or movie.

As an aside, I don't recall myself ever, personally, having said I think this movie will be bad.

I've said that I no longer patronize movies done like this and have yet to see anything compelling me to change my mind. I've also said I think it will be the second Trek movie in a row to earn less than it cost to make. In this case, I suspect substantially less.

Neither has much to do with the quality of the story.
Old June 30 2008, 06:32 AM   #41
TJinPgh
Captain

ancient wrote: View Post
b-wuh?
who was that aimed at, ancient?
Old June 30 2008, 06:59 AM   #42
Aragorn
Admiral

Actually, that wasn't sarcasm. I'm actually describing someone on this board who thinks like that. In case you couldn't tell, I'm not exactly a fan of the Stewey types on here.
Old June 30 2008, 03:46 PM   #43
TJinPgh
Captain

Fair enough.

I admit that my comments have been borderline what you've described. And, since I was the only person like that who happened to be posting in this particular thread, I figured I should at least consider the possibility that you were speaking of me.

At any rate, you're correct in saying it would be unfair to say that this movie will be bad without having seen it.

By the same token, I don't think it's unfair to say that there are elements about it that we know that we may or may not believe will make us, as individuals, not like the film.

For example. We know the bulk of the casting. And, as such, we know that despite what seem to be a couple of very good casting choices, there are at least one or two that appear to be completely wrong. Wrong, unless you give credibility to the character sheet that was reportedly leaked back at the beginning of this project.

We also know the general plot outline for the movie. A plot that's essentially the same as ST: OGAM.

The enemy (Nero/Charlie Evans) travels back in time hoping to kill Kirk and unravel the time line. A vulcan gets killed trying to stop them (Old Spock/Young Tuvok) but manages to mind meld with somebody (Young Spock/Harriman) that gives him enough info to set things right.

Given how things changed in OGAM and Yesterday's Enterprise, I suppose some of those altered character traits make a certain amount of sense. Which is fine, so long as they correct the differences by film's end.

If they do, however, casting somebody like Karl Urban will still be wrong. Which is why I, personally, don't believe that the timeline will be corrected. At least, not completely.

I suspect that there is a reason why the PTB behind this film said from the start that this movie is NOT Star Trek XI, but rather simply "Star Trek."