A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old June 27 2008, 03:37 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

'Star Trek XI' Spoilers From AICN

Harry Knowles of Ain't It Cool News recently visited the editing room and got a sneak peek at early Star Trek XI footage.

As reported by Ain't It Cool News, Knowles saw perhaps seven minutes of the film while on his visit including several interesting scenes.

One scene was of Sarek and Amanda, with a baby Spock. "He showed me a scene of Ben Cross [Sarek] & Winona Ryder [Amanda Grayson]) cradling a baby Spock on the surface of Vulcan," said Knowles. "...There was no dialogue here, and Vulcan wasn’t really there yet – what was there was a great rock formation."

Another scene showed a pre-Enterprise Federation vessel. "The next scene was a really nicely completed visual effects pass of a pre-Enterprise Federation ship from about 25 years before the Enterprise," said Knowles. "The shot began on a small part of the ship, then craned back and over to reveal the ship coming into a larger shot of the ship seemingly orbiting a really angry sun. The shot was absolutely dynamic as the star was seemingly raging – and we cut to the interior of the ship, it was very shadowy and very much like that of an old diesel submarine."

The last shot that Knowles saw was that of a room of Starfleet graduates. "...A scene that looked like it was shot in an enormous hanger," explained Knowles. "There looked to be well over a hundred Starfleet graduates standing in the center of the room, with a couple of shuttlecrafts [old school] that looked like they were ready for boarding... the voice over was basically assigning cadets to the ship they would be serving on."

To read more, head to the article located here.

Old June 27 2008, 04:07 PM   #2
Augustus
Fleet Captain

Re: 'Star Trek XI' Spoilers From AICN

I really liked his review. This is encouraging...
Old June 27 2008, 04:22 PM   #3
ancient
Vice Admiral

it was very shadowy and very much like that of an old diesel submarine – JJ told me that the look was an evolving look for Star Fleet – so that you could get a sense of the passage of decades here. Once again though – I didn’t see the end of the scene or really get a sense for what was going on.
I really like the dynamics and tone of this Space shot – very much not like something I’d seen before – although it was Star Trek, because the ship was a saucer, with a nacelle above and below the saucer.
Interesting.

we hear Leonard McCoy being assigned to the Enterprise – You catch Uhura being assigned to a place… not the Enterprise. You see Chris Pine as Kirk demanding to know why his name wasn’t called out – apparently Kirk is in trouble. You remember that Kobayashi Maru thing he got a commendation for creative thinking for? Well, he isn’t smiling about it here.
It all ended with characters arriving on the bridge, under the command of Captain Pike. Sulu was at the helm – and the bridge. And the uniforms… Classic Trek. Nice. Then for the first time in the history of Star Trek, it looked amazingly functional. It echoes that classic Trek look – but imagine if you handed that design to the folks at APPLE and said… Make it really work.
This is reassuring.
Old June 27 2008, 04:41 PM   #4
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Sounds great.
Old June 27 2008, 04:51 PM   #5
Augustus
Fleet Captain

I wonder what he talks about in terms of a favor that McCoy does for Kirk and how it is a wonderful character moment....
stupid may 09 release...
Old June 27 2008, 04:58 PM   #6
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Augustus wrote: View Post
I wonder what he talks about in terms of a favor that McCoy does for Kirk and how it is a wonderful character moment....
stupid may 09 release...
He probably de-certifies some poor sucker as medically unfit for duty so that Kirk has to be assigned in his place.
Old June 27 2008, 05:41 PM   #7
Data Holmes
Admiral

I wonder why JJ let this out... interesting.
Old June 27 2008, 06:17 PM   #8
T'Cal
Commodore

Very promising indeed! We need another teaser!! I have been waiting impatiently for The Dark Knight as well and I have to say that that film is being marketed very well with lots of trailers in theatres and as commercials on TV. I hope JJA does the same...and soon...
Old June 27 2008, 07:17 PM   #9
Augustus
Fleet Captain

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
stupid may 09 release...
He probably de-certifies some poor sucker as medically unfit for duty so that Kirk has to be assigned in his place.
haha, that would be good.
So does this imply that many of original characters are graduating all at the same time? or at least Uhura, Spock, McCoy and Kirk?
Old June 27 2008, 08:05 PM   #10
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Or just that they're either serving or gathered on Earth for some reason.
Old June 27 2008, 08:18 PM   #11
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

All sounds good so far!
Old June 27 2008, 10:05 PM   #12
Pioneer
Captain

Getting exciiiittiiinnnggg!!!
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old June 27 2008, 11:17 PM   #13
Aragorn
Admiral

McCoy introduces Kirk to Denny Crane (played by... Patrick Stewart), who pulls some Starfleet strings to get Kirk into whatever it was he wanted to get into.
Old June 28 2008, 12:23 AM   #14
cubbie
Vice Admiral

Nice. Very, very nice.
Old June 28 2008, 01:45 AM   #15
Procutus
Admiral

I too have to admit that this little snippet of news sounds very encouraging. Everything I've heard to this point seems to indicate that JJ's got it right.

I just wish to hell we didn't have to wait another ten months for this movie.