Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 23 2008, 11:45 AM   #16
Hermiod
Admiral

Re: Top Gear New Series

^Mostly, yes. It's not really about the cars.

The show regularly has such challenges. Such as Buy a Porsche for less than £1,500, buy a car for less than £100 etc. The three presenters buy their cars and then put them through a series of challenges - including driving them to the track which at least one of the cars manages to fail.

Then there are the Epic Races which are just brilliant. Clarkson will drive some sort of ridiculously expensive, ultra fast supercar while Hammond and May will travel via public transport (planes, trains, boats, buses etc) in a race from one point to another (usually somewhere in London and to somewhere in mainland Europe or vice versa).

The show is, as you've noticed, based mainly around mucking about.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2008, 11:46 AM   #17
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Cutter John wrote: View Post
I've only seen one episode of the show on Youtube. Something about taking three ratty old British autos from the 70's and running them over an obstical course (staying in place on an incline with the parking brake set, or who can drive the farthest with the car filled with water before it leaks out).

Are all the episodes that goofy and fun?
Yep, that's how the show always is.
Old June 23 2008, 11:56 AM   #18
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Great start of the new season, the police car thing was brilliant - although as usual their spectacular failure was rather predictable.
Old June 23 2008, 11:57 AM   #19
Hermiod
Admiral

^Top Gear: Ambitious but rubbish!
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2008, 11:58 AM   #20
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Hermiod wrote: View Post
^Top Gear: Ambitious but rubbish!
Very British, then?
Old June 23 2008, 12:11 PM   #21
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
What was the thing Jeremy "Found on the internet" before he brought up the crash picture?
Difficult to tell, because it was just shown on the small screens from far away, but I think it's a woman in a bikini lying on the beach or so:

Old June 23 2008, 12:13 PM   #22
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
What was the thing Jeremy "Found on the internet" before he brought up the crash picture?
Difficult to tell, because it was just shown on the small screens from far away, but I think it's a woman in a bikini lying on the beach or so:

With Hammond's reaction, I don't think so.
Old June 23 2008, 12:18 PM   #23
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Wow, after the slight ribbing Clarkson got on Have I Got News For You because apparently he doesn't believe in Global Warming, I decided to check out the show just for kicks... I mean, I don't care about cars in any meaningful way so the show just doesn't interesting me, but the way he tore down the Prius was just hilarious. I can just imagine environmentalists declaring him an idiot in angry letters.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2008, 12:21 PM   #24
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Well, unless there's an HD version of Top Gear somewhere, I don't think I'll be able to make a better guess.

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
Wow, after the slight ribbing Clarkson got on Have I Got News For You because apparently he doesn't believe in Global Warming, I decided to check out the show just for kicks... I mean, I don't care about cars in any meaningful way so the show just doesn't interesting me, but the way he tore down the Prius was just hilarious. I can just imagine environmentalists declaring him an idiot in angry letters.
Oh yeah, Clarkson doesn't give a shit about the environment - no car can be too powerful and fast for him, and speedlimits/traffic laws/etc. are all rubbish for him obviously.
Old June 23 2008, 12:24 PM   #25
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
Well, unless there's an HD version of Top Gear somewhere, I don't think I'll be able to make a better guess.
I kinda think that was the point... But now it has me wondering what was so bad they couldn't show it.
Old June 23 2008, 01:02 PM   #26
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

So, just finished the episode and now I guess I get the appeal... the weird shit they do near the end. I guess my indifference toward cars makes the rest of the show kind of boring, but it's that "Mythbusters" tomfoolerly that makes it interesting.

I'm honestly curious to see how the American and Australian versions of the show will work. Well, more the American version I suppose.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2008, 01:04 PM   #27
biotech
Vice Admiral

Probably a tranny with the balls hanging out the bikini bottom or something.

The great thing about top gear is, you dont even have to like cars, or be that interested in them.

Its just three grown up kids messing around with big toys, and thats all it needs to be.
biotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2008, 01:33 PM   #28
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

biotech wrote: View Post
Probably a tranny with the balls hanging out the bikini bottom or something.

The great thing about top gear is, you dont even have to like cars, or be that interested in them.

Its just three grown up kids messing around with big toys, and thats all it needs to be.
Yep, that's the appeal of the show. I didn't watch it for years for the same reason firehawk12 stated.
Old June 23 2008, 01:37 PM   #29
Captain Brylcream
Commander

I thought the police cars were brilliant, couldn't stop laughing when James May played his Ice Cream van siren - although they messed up the continuity, after Hammonds stinger fell off during their timed lap, the next scene showed him driving through towards the line with the tyre and mats still attatched neatly - other than that though is was spectacularly funny.

Captain Brylcream: He can kill a thread stone dead with a single post.
Captain Brylcream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2008, 03:13 PM   #30
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Ahhh, I get it now. Thanks.

It may be rubbish, but because its British it just seems a lot more clever than something we'd come up with here in the states.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote