Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 22 2008, 10:04 PM   #391
Baerbel Haddrell
Commodore

Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

Defcon wrote: View Post
LightningStorm wrote: View Post
Baerbel Haddrell wrote: View Post
...the idea that he has to ensure he kills off a few really popular ST regulars in each volume...

Where'd you get this idea? I've seen nothing in anything (not even any of the outdated blurbs) that says (or even hints at) anything about killing off main or popular characters. In fact the blurbs to date insinuate he's resurrecting one, not killing one.
I think she is refering to one of Therin's comment above.

Exactly.
Old June 22 2008, 10:13 PM   #392
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Baerbel Haddrell wrote: View Post
I can imagine that the idea that he has to ensure he kills off a few really popular ST regulars in each volume in order to get into the mainstream media is definitely not a compliment
I was simply referring to some bbs regulars' jokes that David Mack had a reputation for high carnage rates in recent books. I'm certainly not advocating that he should/will kill off regular characters, nor that Pocket should do so just to get some publicity for the fiction lines.

As we've seen over and over since the death of Spock in ST II, no one stays dead too long in Star Trek - or science fiction or comics - anyway, and to kill off major characters hoping to sell extra books ends up distressing much of the fanbase, who may then stop reading said books.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2008, 10:20 PM   #393
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
My point was that people who previously rejected a book because of a blurb may well come back to a book after hearing positive word of mouth (or indeed "media hype", of some kind).
I already agreed about the word of mouth part. All I'm saying is that I don't believe that there will be any media hype for the books. And there's nothing Pocket can do to create a media hype for the books, because they are too unimportant for the regular media.

So why are we even talking about these people? Is the point that Pocket Books must write better blurbs?
That would be a good start. To be honest I can't remember one blurb in the last few years that really screamed at me: Read me! Most of the time I buy the Star Trek books because I either like the author or they are part of a series I follow.

But again, up until now I never even mentioned that Pocket Books does something wrong in my posts, you are the one who implies they do something wrong again and again.

Again, all I'm saying is that I don't believe that there will be any media hype for the books.

I have seen you doing it with both full quotes and partial quotes here and over at psiphi.
Pardon me for not posting to your personal high standards.
It's common sense not to quote something you don't want to talk about, not a personal high standard.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2008, 10:21 PM   #394
Therin of Andor
Admiral

TrekkieBez wrote: View Post
Fair enough, but with the novels as they are now, will the same really happen with "JJ's Star Trek"?
"As they are now" how?

I don't understand. What's wrong with the novels as they are now? If JJ's movie does well, why won't there be renewed interest in ST novels?
Old June 22 2008, 10:32 PM   #395
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Therin, Defcon, both of you need to cool off a bit. Perhaps agreeing to disagree might be the best viable option at this point.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2008, 10:33 PM   #396
Therin of Andor
Admiral

It's common sense not to quote something you don't want to talk about, not a personal high standard.
Okay...
Old June 22 2008, 10:39 PM   #397
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

^ Why have you changed your post?

Therin, Defcon, both of you need to cool off a bit. Perhaps agreeing to disagree might be the best viable option at this point.
Maybe, but then again I think we first had to agree on what were are disagreeing on.

But that will be my last post in this topic until some new things come up, probably at Shore Leave.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2008, 10:41 PM   #398
Julio Angel Ortiz
Fleet Captain

I think the Pocket Books catalog cover for Destiny book 1 is pretty funny, considering it features the NX-01 fighting a Borg sphere. And I couldn't help but notice the "Not final cover" at the bottom. Hey guys, I'm not posting it this time or the "blurbs."
Old June 22 2008, 10:44 PM   #399
Therin of Andor
Admiral

^ Why have you changed your post?
We were asked to cool off.
Old June 22 2008, 10:54 PM   #400
JD
Admiral

*Changed Following EMH's Post*
Old June 22 2008, 11:21 PM   #401
danjamesb
Commander

TrekkieBez wrote: View Post
Fair enough, but with the novels as they are now, will the same really happen with "JJ's Star Trek"?
"As they are now" how?

I don't understand. What's wrong with the novels as they are now? If JJ's movie does well, why won't there be renewed interest in ST novels?
If a casual moviegoer - or even someone who's watched Trek in the past, but never sampled the novels - watches ST:XI and decides to pick up a few of the books, what's their point of entry?

Vanguard, a series which is set in the same era as the film, but features an unfamiliar cast of characters? Greater Than The Sum, ostensibly a TNG novel, but set beyond the series and featuring a handful of the original crew? One of William Shatner's books, starring a resurrected Kirk outside of mainstream continuity?

In the past, I've applauded and enjoyed things like the DS9 Relaunch, ongoing arcs, and original series. But I don't think those are the type of things that will draw in new readers - no matter how exciting and well-written they are, I'd question how accessible they are to newcomers.
danjamesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2008, 11:23 PM   #402
Deano2099
Commander

Just a quick thought, assuming the blurbs are accurate, they state that the Borg are out to destroy the Federation, rather than assimilate it. That along marks a rather large change and suggests that this will be a different sort of Borg story entirely.

(Unless they already went this way in the TNG relaunch in which case ignore me)
Deano2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2008, 11:57 PM   #403
nx1701g
Admiral

^
Old June 23 2008, 12:16 AM   #404
Christopher
Writer

Julio Angel Ortiz wrote: View Post
I think the Pocket Books catalog cover for Destiny book 1 is pretty funny, considering it features the NX-01 fighting a Borg sphere.
No, it features the NX-01 destroying a Suliban cell ship. It's a recycled image from a Ships of the Line calendar. A Borg sphere would be far bigger than that. Also spherical.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2008, 01:05 AM   #405
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
Julio Angel Ortiz wrote: View Post
I think the Pocket Books catalog cover for Destiny book 1 is pretty funny, considering it features the NX-01 fighting a Borg sphere.
No, it features the NX-01 destroying a Suliban cell ship. It's a recycled image from a Ships of the Line calendar. A Borg sphere would be far bigger than that. Also spherical.
Maybe it's just a alternate universe Borg sphere ran by flying squirrels and rabid penguins.