RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,818
Currently online: 447
Newest member: Thomas Eugene

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old June 22 2008, 03:37 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Moore On 'Star Trek' Clichés And 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine'

For writer Ron Moore, taking 'Star Trek' into unexpected, sometimes darker directions made for a better show.

As reported by TrekMovie.com, working on Star Trek: The Next Generation meant trying to be original and to avoid the usual clichés. "There was a bit of fight," said Moore. "I was sort of always fighting to take stories into darker directions or to go out on more ambiguous notes or to make the Enterprise lose occasionally. A lot of it was just in service of doing things different. I think I was looking for molds to break. We were doing so many episodes a year, twenty-six a year which right now seems unfathomable.

"You were doing so many episodes," said Moore. "We used to have this big board that were the 'Star Trek' clichés. After every pitch session, because we were taking endless amounts of writers coming to pitch, the writers would all sort of gleefully go to the cliché board and we would log in how many of the Trek clichés we heard that day: Data becomes man, Data becomes god, they discover a planet and the planet is alive, you know there were just all these categories and we would just tally each one to keep ourselves sane. Because of that and because there were so many Trek clichés and so many patterns doing shows, I was always looking for the show that was different."

Moore enjoyed the fact that Star Trek: Deep Space Nine went in a different direction than the other Star Trek series. "We kind of prided ourselves on being the bastard stepchildren of the Trek franchise," he said. "We were the only one that was truly different. Every other series was essentially about a starship boldly going somewhere, and we weren't. We were proud of that. And we were kind of proud of that fact that we didn’t get the same publicity and that we were the forgotten ones. It was something we sort of wore as this badge of honor among the writers."

To read more, head to the article located here.

Old June 22 2008, 04:37 AM   #2
Augustus
Fleet Captain

Re: Moore On 'Star Trek' Clichés And 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine'

Very true Mr. Moore.
That is why DS9 is my favorite. Nothing else like it among Trek. Certain episodes of TNG, may seem like TOS, may seem like VOY, may seem like ENT. But rarely does an episode of DS9 seem familiar.

Did the Enterprise in TNG ever lose really? The only time I can think of was Data's Day...
Old June 22 2008, 05:46 AM   #3
Norrin Radd
Vice Admiral

This is spot on. To me, Voy and some of ENT was sooo much like TNG...just with different crews, i.e. going from one planet to the next...meeting humans with funny foreheads...I grew so damn tired of it.

In contrast, DS9 wasn't always great, but it stayed creatively fresh and true to its "gunsmoke in space" premise.

In fact, I found many of the weaker episodes of DS9 were when it strayed from that premise and some of the stronger episodes of Voy and ENT were when they stayed true to their premises, which unfortunately wasn't often...
Old June 22 2008, 05:55 AM   #4
MattJC
Fleet Captain

Norrin Radd wrote: View Post
This is spot on. To me, Voy and some of ENT was sooo much like TNG...just with different crews, i.e. going from one planet to the next...
Um, isn't that the point of Star Trek?
To see out new life and explore new worlds?
Old June 22 2008, 05:55 AM   #5
MattJC
Fleet Captain

Not to sit around whining about how life sucks?
Old June 22 2008, 07:09 AM   #6
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

MattJC wrote: View Post
That would be nuBSG.
Old June 22 2008, 11:05 AM   #7
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

^
Nope.

I agree with Moore's assessments and views.
Old June 22 2008, 03:33 PM   #8
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

Justtoyourleft wrote: View Post
^
Nope.

I agree with some of them, while others are just a lot of ego and bluster.

I'm still waiting an answer to this question I posted upthread:
Do you think he'd be this smug about his opinions of Trek if nuBSG hadn't been as successful?

no one seems to have an opinion either way?
Old June 22 2008, 03:52 PM   #9
ancient
Vice Admiral

Norrin Radd wrote: View Post
This is spot on. To me, Voy and some of ENT was sooo much like TNG...just with different crews, i.e. going from one planet to the next...
I always thought the point was to be entertaining, something DS9 was far more than VGR or ENT. Or even TNG, in retrospect.

Besides, they did a lot of strange new world stuff on DS9, and explored them far deeper than the throwaway forehead-of-the-week aliens we often got in the other shows.

Ah, you never watched the show then. Nevermind. There may have been a few very natural gripes early on in like the first 5 episodes, but that was part of the 'finding your place' theme.
Old June 22 2008, 03:55 PM   #10
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

The problem is that except for DS9, they didn't apply that philosophy to the making of the show. Modern Trek became formulaic, and the formula was pretty damn tiring after 500 episodes. TOS was an innovative show in its time; and so was TNG, a fact that's lost in light of it having established the long-since worn-out formulae. VGR and ENT were copies of copies (of copies).
Old June 22 2008, 04:01 PM   #11
ancient
Vice Admiral

number6 wrote: View Post
Justtoyourleft wrote: View Post
^
Nope.

I agree with some of them, while others are just a lot of ego and bluster.

I'm still waiting an answer to this question I posted upthread:
??? What?

You didn't post any question in this thread, maybe you're thinking of a different thread?

Do you think he'd be this smug about his opinions of Trek if nuBSG hadn't been as successful?

no one seems to have an opinion either way?
Define 'successful'. nuBSG is successful in that it survived 4 years on the SciFi network on miniscule ratings and a devoted fanbase.

I just don't see how nuBSG figures into this at all. I don't think he suddenly became proud of his work on DS9 because he got a Lucas Powah Rush from running his own show.
Old June 22 2008, 04:50 PM   #12
RobertScorpio
Pariah

I agree totally...his work on DS9 speaks volumes of what this guy could do LONG before BSG came along...And if he has a ego, well then what the hell is wrong with that??? Other people in the TREK pathos have them too...

Rob
Scorpio
Old June 22 2008, 06:17 PM   #13
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Personally, I liked Moore's work on DS9 (although, his fixation on the Klingons really killed that race), but in every interview with him I read that asks him about Trek, I really get the impression that he feels that Trek is very beneath him and that he was the best writer ever on Star Trek. I don't know if he really feels like that, but that's the impression I get. Even others on Trek with ego (such as The Shat), still come off as Trek was good.

ancient wrote: View Post
Define 'successful'. nuBSG is successful in that it survived 4 years on the SciFi network on miniscule ratings and a devoted fanbase.
I would define successful as that he was able to do what he wanted to do with the show and it met critical praise. I admit, I don't watch BSG, but from what I can tell from others, I will give Moore credit that he doesn't seem to sell out to reach a wider audience by going to the lowest common denominator like, say, Andromeda.
Old June 22 2008, 06:33 PM   #14
number6
Vice Admiral

ancient wrote: View Post
My point is that Moore wouldn't be bitterly dissing the shows that made him if nuBSG tanked after six episodes.
Old June 22 2008, 07:36 PM   #15
Pioneer
Captain

Although TNG is my favorite series of Star Trek, my favorite character is Garak from DS9.

I don't understand the cliché board. If they were the writers, then who was pitching all those stories? Guest writers?
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)