RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,705
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 478
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old June 18 2008, 03:35 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Play 'Star Trek' 20Q

Star Trek fans can help make the programmed AI for the hand-held "mind-reading" 20Q game smarter.

As reported by TrekMovie.com, the online version of the game is designed to help in designing the hand-held version and to give the artificial intelligence engine that runs the hand-held game more details about Star Trek so that it can improve the hand-held version.

The game starts out by asking the player to think of a sentient being, place or thing from the Star Trek world. It then asks the player questions in hopes of gaining sufficient information for the AI to "guess" about what place, thing, or being had been chosen by the player.

If the game beats the player, it says "I win! Another mind read. Who's next!" and it will list questions where the player's answer was different that that of the majority of players. If the player beats the AI, the message is "I didn't get it! How human of me. You win!" and as with the other case, it will list the questions where the player's answer differed with that of the majority.

To read more, head to the article located here. The website for the game can be found here.

Old June 18 2008, 04:34 AM   #2
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

Re: Play 'Star Trek' 20Q

Loads of fun. Beat it two times out of three.
Old June 18 2008, 04:53 AM   #3
AdmiralGarak
Rear Admiral

Cool!

Somebody's been feeding this thing some dumb answers, though. It's telling me that, according to other participants, Morn would never do business with a Ferengi! Huh???
Old June 18 2008, 05:17 AM   #4
AdmiralGarak
Rear Admiral

You are Rom.
2. Has it ever been married? You said Yes, 20Q was taught by other players that the answer is No.

This thing's been taught by idiots!
Old June 18 2008, 08:43 AM   #5
AntonyF
Administrator

View AntonyF's Twitter Profile

I did Empok Nor and it got it within 17 questions, so I was impressed by that. Although it called it "The Empok Nor". It also told me it was a place, I selected a thing. I guess both are right.
Old June 18 2008, 10:29 AM   #6
Pioneer
Captain

Yep. It's got GIGO problems and there's no way to fix it. No edit function for the IQ automaton.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old June 18 2008, 03:47 PM   #7
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

What a stupidly wrong annoying game.
Old June 19 2008, 04:51 AM   #8
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I wonder who else has done this. I just did the Enterprise C and there are some really wrong answers like:

It's it Brave? you said Yes, 20Q was taught by other players that the answer is No.

Ha?
Old June 19 2008, 06:53 AM   #9
Dale
Vice Admiral

Dude... a ship isn't brave. A crew is brave.

The thing has been pretty grossly misinformed, though.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. - 2 Timothy 4:3
Old June 19 2008, 09:27 AM   #10
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

It got Risa in 22 questions. Unfortunately some people seem to be answering only yes or no to questions you can't possibly know the answer to, and incorrectly or overly literally to others.

People said Risa wasn't involved in the Dominion War or any war for that matter. Well, there's no way to know that, and technically as part of the Federation they were peripherally involved at the very least. I said maybe, but most others said no.

It asked if Risa was a good negotiator. I said maybe, but most people said no. Again, how can we know one way or another?

But when asked if it ever compromised the crew's safety, I said sometimes while most people said no. While, obviously the planet itself didn't compromise the crew's safety (but the test was already geared towards asking place questions, so that's irrelevant), in all three episodes revolving around Risa, the crew that were on the planet were placed in some sort of jeopardy.

Considering there was an entire episode revolving around it achieving "paradise" through technological means that were sabotaged by a neo-luddite movement, I took that as being a sign that it was sometimes mechanically inclined, but most people said no.

You are Risa.

1. Was it involved in the Dominion War? You said Maybe, 20Q was taught by other players that the answer is No.

2. Is it a good negotiator? You said Maybe, 20Q was taught by other players that the answer is No.

3. Did it ever compromise a crew's safety? You said Sometimes, 20Q was taught by other players that the answer is No.

4. Is it mechanically inclined? You said Sometimes, 20Q was taught by other players that the answer is No.

5. Has it ever been involved in a war? You said Maybe, 20Q was taught by other players that the answer is No.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Old June 19 2008, 09:42 AM   #11
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Dale Hoppert wrote: View Post
Dude... a ship isn't brave. A crew is brave.

The thing has been pretty grossly misinformed, though.
Says you. I look at it as the Ship is just as part of the crew as anyone else. I mean you always had Kirk or Janeway have a special bond to either the Enterprise or Voyager, so the ship is the embodiment of everything. Under that premise, I would think a ship that goes into war and comes out of it changing history to avert war (Or goes back through a temporal rift to restore history) is brave.
Old June 19 2008, 11:37 AM   #12
Dale
Vice Admiral

Anthropomorphism. A ship is inanimate, a big machine. You're welcome to your (incorrect) opinion, though.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. - 2 Timothy 4:3
Old June 19 2008, 12:14 PM   #13
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

Dale Hoppert wrote: View Post
Anthropomorphism. A ship is inanimate, a big machine. You're welcome to your (incorrect) opinion, though.
The problem is, it's asking questions like "Is it brave?" after he already specified up front that it's a thing, not a sentient being, which leads to confusion because the person responding can interpret it as "Was the ship involved in a brave act?" It really needs separate questions geared towards each individual category.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Old June 19 2008, 01:10 PM   #14
AdmiralGarak
Rear Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
It got Risa in 22 questions. Unfortunately some people seem to be answering only yes or no to questions you can't possibly know the answer to, and incorrectly or overly literally to others.
Those are annoying enough, but there are some real fundamental flaws that make the make the questioning rather dumb.

First of all, plenty of answers are completely wrong.
Is Sisko mechanically adept? No -- Except for the fact that he built an entire solar sailing ship as a hobby.

Has Gorkon ever been caught telling a lie? Yes -- Hell if I know when, though.

Would Kor make a good captain? No -- Apparently Martok answered that one.

Does Sarek appreciate music? No -- Sure could have fooled me.

Second of all, the questioning is too random.

Sentient being:
Is it human? -- Yes
Is it reliable with a phaser? Yes
Can it fit in a cargo bay? -- Err... yeah.
Can it be trusted with a phaser? -- You already asked that, dammit.
Is it programmable? -- Whaa... ???
Can it be used to harm somebody? -- I s'pose.
Does it wear a red shirt? -- Yes!
I'm guessing it is Harry Kim. -- You've got to be kidding me.
Is it a planet? -- NO!!! {Head desk}
I'm guessing it is Galorndon Core. -- Yes. Yes, it is Galorndon Core. Good work.
Old June 23 2008, 03:32 PM   #15
Placebo
Cadet

I liked the game actually it's a bit unorthodox asking quirky and sometimes irrelevant questions, but the funny thing is that it still guessed Mr. Homn o_O

Looking through their website I also discovered they have a Dr. Who game under Think in Canadian which didn't seem to show up under Think in American section....