Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old June 15 2008, 08:12 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

'Star Trek The Tour' Is Now 'Star Trek The Exhibition'

After being delayed due to financial issues and a change in ownership, Star Trek The Exhibition is on the move to San Diego, California.

As reported by aerospacemuseum.org, Star Trek The Exhibition is due to open in San Diego on the 21st of June at the San Diego Air & Space Museum located in Balboa Park.

Highlights from the exhibition features recreations of original sets from Star Trek: The Next Generation, two full-motion flight simulators to take fans "through the galaxy", interactive episodes where fans can "star" with the original cast and have a DVD made of the experience, and a full-sized bridge from the original series Enterprise, where fans can have their photos taken and superimposed with an image of the original cast including Spock, Dr. McCoy and Scotty.

According to an article at TrekMovie.com, Star Trek The Exhibition is "more compact". Because of this, it will be traveling to more cities, as it is expected that two shows can be run simultaneously.

Star Trek The Exhibition will be staying in each city for a longer time. It is expected that Star Trek The Exhibition will remain in San Diego throughout the rest of the year.

Ticket prices for the event will also be lower than they had been when it appeared in Long Beach, with discounts available for students, military members, senior citizens and museum members.

To read more, head to the articles located here and here.

Old June 15 2008, 08:14 PM   #2
MattJC
Fleet Captain

Re: 'Star Trek The Tour' Is Now 'Star Trek The Exhibition'

Damn it. Whose bright idea was to split up the Tour?
I don't want to travel back and forth across the country so I can see everything.
Old June 16 2008, 04:02 AM   #3
Pioneer
Captain

I wonder when or if it will ever come to the Philly area. I won't hold my breath.
They shouldn't attempt Dallas, TX, though. Attendance will be low. Cripes!
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old June 16 2008, 06:37 AM   #4
FrontLine
Nekkid Hedonistic Ethical Slut

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to FrontLine

Dang, so what did they cut out to make it more compact? What props will be on display and which ones were dropped?

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit, what a ride!"

"Im happier than a tornado in a trailer park" - Tow Mater - Cars
Old June 16 2008, 06:58 PM   #5
PKerr
Rear Admiral

WHEN IS IT COMING TO FLORIDA!!!
Old June 17 2008, 05:57 AM   #6
PhaserJunky
Ensign

FrontLine wrote: View Post
Dang, so what did they cut out to make it more compact? What props will be on display and which ones were dropped?
I've heard that they actually got all the best stuff from the tour - original Enterprise Bridge with Captain Kirk's actual chair used in the original series - simulators, costumes, props, the Guardian of Forever, a saucer section from The Next Generation with sick bay, Picard's quarters, transporter room...

They even still have the simulators, but I just less of them.

Should be absolutely great!
Old July 5 2008, 05:28 AM   #7
PhaserJunky
Ensign

I had the opportunity to go on opening day and it was absolutely great! They even had a number of Klingons roaming around. Some poor guy made the mistake of calling one of them a Vulcan and boy, he received an ear full. It was hilarious!

The Exhibition was very well put together and had a really good flow to it. I was amazed at how well it fit into the SD Air and Space Museum. They did an absolutely amazing job and having real historic aircraft and spacecraft surrounding the Exhibition was awesome!

When you first walk in, you are greeted by a huge rotating NCC-1701-A and then make your way right onto the Original Enterprise Bridge. This was one my favorite parts of the Exhibition. You get to walk around anywhere and touch everything. Also you can sit in any of the positions on the Bridge which makes for a great photo op!

Later on, you make your way on board the 1701-D and walk through an authentic corridor and view crew quarters!

They also did a great job with their transporter room. You can get on to the pad where a technician will beam you out and back in and add the special effects to huge LCD screens in the room.

The entire Exhibition has an amazing array of props, costumes, and interactive attractions.

I definitely recommend that you go if you can make it!
Old July 5 2008, 05:36 AM   #8
nx1701g
Admiral

^ So it sounds like they removed the E-D Bridge?
Old July 5 2008, 05:37 AM   #9
GreenBlood
Captain

PhaserJunky wrote: View Post
I had the opportunity to go on opening day and it was absolutely great!
I went to the Tour in Long Beach, CA. I went on a week day so it wasn't too crowded to enjoy.
You didn't mention simulators. I went on both rides, the 2 seater and the shuttle.
I liked the smaller ride the best.
Old July 5 2008, 05:38 AM   #10
MattJC
Fleet Captain

GreenBlood wrote: View Post
I went to the Tour in Long Beach, CA. I went on a week day so it wasn't too crowded to enjoy.
You didn't mention simulators. I went on both rides, the 2 seater and the shuttle.
Is there a difference between the 2 rides other then the number of seats?
And is it true they separated the Tour into 2 different exhibitions to tour in 2 different cities simultaneously?
Old July 7 2008, 05:27 PM   #11
T'Cal
Commodore

I attended the Exhibition on the opening day at the San Diego Air & Space Museum, June 21, 2008. It was very cool and well worth the extra money to get into it. Denise and Mike Okuda were on hand to make sure everything was correct and my sons and I got a chance to talk with him. He's such a nice person and so into Trek. My son asked if they had any involvement in STXI and he said that they didn't but spoke very possitively about JJA and his work. If Mike Okuda says to expect good things, then I'm very hopeful.
Old July 7 2008, 09:43 PM   #12
Silntb
Cadet

MattJC wrote: View Post
GreenBlood wrote: View Post
Is there a difference between the 2 rides other then the number of seats?
And is it true they separated the Tour into 2 different exhibitions to tour in 2 different cities simultaneously?
Went to the exhibition over the weekend and liked it. There is a difference in the rides. The twoseater is full 360 but it only runs Flight Sim 2004, fun though. The other ride is like Star Tours. Best way to do it is to go where you have the entire row to yourself and slide as it moves.

It is cool to go check out, especially if you are in San Diego for comic-con since Paramount wont be there!
Old July 10 2008, 06:29 AM   #13
PhaserJunky
Ensign

I didn't get the try the 2 seater, but I really liked the other simulator. As Silntb mentioned you do slide around a bit, but still very fun!
Old July 10 2008, 08:47 PM   #14
Biggshow
Fleet Captain

I admit I'm spoiled by the simulator at The Experience but the bigger shuttle seemed like a mall ride (fairly mild) and the interior is not "dressed" at all. The smaller one is better for the motion experience but you can see the Windows Media Player skin around the graphics. Lame. The graphics themselves (and in Long Beach both simulators used the same sequence) seem very mid-level video game to me. Since I believe it's still included in the ticket price, try them but I definitely recommend lowering your expectations.

I will say that I think smaller may be better with the exception of the loss of the Ent-D bridge. Also, in Long Beach, they didn't do a lot with the Quark's Bar material; it just kind of sat there. Again, I'm spoiled by The Experience.