RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,361
Posts: 5,446,186
Members: 24,970
Currently online: 496
Newest member: LaciFalor

TrekToday headlines

Kruge Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Two Trek Actors In Green Room
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

The Red Shirt Diaries #9
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old June 12 2008, 07:49 AM   #541
Shaw
Commodore
 
Shaw's Avatar
 
Location: Twin Cities
Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

That is quite helpful because I was originally just going to have ladder access between the gallery, hangar deck and maintenance deck in that general area, but now I'll replace that with a lift system between those decks.

Those are by far the best images I've seen of the alcove areas on the hangar deck. Thanks!
Shaw is offline  
Old June 12 2008, 08:10 PM   #542
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral
 
Ryan Thomas Riddle's Avatar
 
Location: The Bay Area
View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile
Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Shaw wrote: View Post
That is quite helpful because I was originally just going to have ladder access between the gallery, hangar deck and maintenance deck in that general area, but now I'll replace that with a lift system between those decks.

Those are by far the best images I've seen of the alcove areas on the hangar deck. Thanks!
Those hanger bay elevators could possibly be similar to the one-man lifts in the refit engineering room.
__________________
A mild-mannered reporter
Ryan Thomas Riddle is offline  
Old June 12 2008, 09:06 PM   #543
Tallguy
Fleet Captain
 
Tallguy's Avatar
 
Location: Beyond the Farthest Star
Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

middyseafort wrote: View Post
Shaw wrote: View Post
That is quite helpful because I was originally just going to have ladder access between the gallery, hangar deck and maintenance deck in that general area, but now I'll replace that with a lift system between those decks.

Those are by far the best images I've seen of the alcove areas on the hangar deck. Thanks!
Those hanger bay elevators could possibly be similar to the one-man lifts in the refit engineering room.
I have nothing to base this on, but I would think those elevators would also go to the deck below.
__________________
-- Bill "Tallguy" Thomas
"All I ask is a tall ship..."
Tallguy is offline  
Old June 13 2008, 05:50 AM   #544
Maurice
Vice Admiral
 
Maurice's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
View Maurice's Twitter Profile
Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Tallguy wrote: View Post
I have nothing to base this on, but I would think those elevators would also go to the deck below.
I'd say that's a logical assumption, since they appear to be behind doors. On the other hand, it's also possible that those elevators have nothing to do with the observation deck and only go down below.
__________________
* * *
"The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress."
—Philip Roth
Maurice is offline  
Old June 15 2008, 05:28 PM   #545
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral
 
Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...
Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

They could do both.

Of course, at that position, there's not a lot of up and down they can do.
Captain Robert April is offline  
Old June 15 2008, 05:45 PM   #546
Tallguy
Fleet Captain
 
Tallguy's Avatar
 
Location: Beyond the Farthest Star
Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Well, that's not saying that's where the elevators are, it's just pointing the way.
__________________
-- Bill "Tallguy" Thomas
"All I ask is a tall ship..."
Tallguy is offline  
Old June 15 2008, 06:46 PM   #547
Shaw
Commodore
 
Shaw's Avatar
 
Location: Twin Cities
Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Well, there is enough room in those general areas for one or two person lifts moving between those three deck levels. So Putting something in isn't too much of an issue, it is just that deck plans don't often show the space limitations the way that cross-sections of the hull can.

Below is a sketch of those three decks. I have this printed out and have been studying the region to get a better idea of what would be there and how it might be organized. And at this point I don't have the lifts or ladders designated yet.

Shaw is offline  
Old June 16 2008, 06:57 AM   #548
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral
 
Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...
Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

I may actually start drooling at any moment...
Captain Robert April is offline  
Old June 17 2008, 02:58 AM   #549
Sarvek
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Oregon, USA
Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Totally impressive. Great attention to detail and it really shows.
Sarvek is offline  
Old June 17 2008, 04:47 AM   #550
Wingsley
Commodore
 
Wingsley's Avatar
 
Location: Wingsley
Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

I'm apologize in advance if this is out-of-place in this thread, but I have to ask:

The HD-DVDs of TOS-Remastered released by CBS/Paramount include an "interactive Enterprise inspection", which includes and interesting flyby of the Hangar Deck, including a hitherto unseen Flight Control Tower-type structure overlooking the fantail.

Would there be an allowance for something like this in your plans?
__________________
"The way that you wander is the way that you choose. / The day that you tarry is the day that you lose. / Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder / Where the fair wind blows ..."
-- Lyrics, Jeremiah Johnson's theme.
Wingsley is offline  
Old June 17 2008, 04:55 AM   #551
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral
 
FalTorPan's Avatar
 
Location: Out there... thataway.
Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Wingsley wrote: View Post
I'm apologize in advance if this is out-of-place in this thread, but I have to ask:

The HD-DVDs of TOS-Remastered released by CBS/Paramount include an "interactive Enterprise inspection", which includes and interesting flyby of the Hangar Deck, including a hitherto unseen Flight Control Tower-type structure overlooking the fantail.

Would there be an allowance for something like this in your plans?
I don't see how all the interior of that space can possibly fit inside that design feature -- or how someone would get in and out of said feature without using the transporter.
__________________
Watch ASTRONUTS! Visit Trekplace! Check out my personal website!
FalTorPan is offline  
Old June 17 2008, 07:15 AM   #552
Donny
Commander
 
Donny's Avatar
 
Location: Ocean Springs, Mississippi
Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Sorry...double post. Wouldn't let me delete. See below.
__________________
Donny Versiga

http://rigel7studios.blogspot.com/


Last edited by Donny; June 17 2008 at 07:24 AM.
Donny is offline  
Old June 17 2008, 07:23 AM   #553
Donny
Commander
 
Donny's Avatar
 
Location: Ocean Springs, Mississippi
Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

I don't like the fact that they added that little control room there....I always imagined it as being some sort of beacon or tractor beam emitter. There are plenty of control rooms inside the hangar deck, and the sensor capabilities of the Enterprise would render such room useless...I bet it was done more out of boredom of those that created the Interactive Enterprise Inspection than out of necessity for successful hangar deck operations.

In addition, I agree with FalTorPan's remark.

For my Star Trek mod for MotS, I'm currently working on my own rendition of the shuttlebay, with a large cargo complex directly forward of it. It's hard enough filling the hangar's 4 overlooking control rooms with control panels already. I, for one, will not make use of the additional one depicted in the link above.

BTW, Shaw, I've been keeping up with your thread here for a while. Love what you are doing. Keep up the good work. Are you planning using the area directly forward of the shuttlebay as a cargo area? That's what I've been working on. Figure it makes a lot of sense, plus it's a tip of the hat to Andrew Probert for his genius work on the cargo complex in TMP. I've also as well incorporated a double observation deck between the shuttlebay and the room directly forward....seems as if great minds think alike.
__________________
Donny Versiga

http://rigel7studios.blogspot.com/

Donny is offline  
Old June 17 2008, 11:10 AM   #554
Shaw
Commodore
 
Shaw's Avatar
 
Location: Twin Cities
Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Yeah, I've seen those screen captures and was disappointed. I couldn't help but feel that they were taking the point of view that scale doesn't matter. And I wouldn't be surprised if that point of view wasn't based on the fact that other shows of that era didn't worry about such things so Trek must not have either.

So no, I won't be adding a room up there. As it stands now, I'm sweating the hangar ceiling equipment and access to it (which will most likely be via a Jefferies tube from deck 14).

Donny wrote: View Post
BTW, Shaw, I've been keeping up with your thread here for a while. Love what you are doing. Keep up the good work. Are you planning using the area directly forward of the shuttlebay as a cargo area? That's what I've been working on. Figure it makes a lot of sense, plus it's a tip of the hat to Andrew Probert for his genius work on the cargo complex in TMP. I've also as well incorporated a double observation deck between the shuttlebay and the room directly forward....seems as if great minds think alike.
Thanks!

I'm not wed to the shape of those doors on the front wall of the hangar, so I may change them to look like what you have in your renders.

But yes, there are two open bays (with gallery overlooks) just forward of the hangar which are divided by two corridors (one on top of the other).

And the design is both to accommodate the TMP design and stuff I recalled from when the Carrier Constellation was being worked on.

Earlier in this thread I made a point of how every compartment would have a double hull between them... not in the cases of the bulkheads behind engineering. I envision that those walls are designed to be cut out to allow for the engine parts to be pulled straight out through the hangar bay.

On the Carrier Constellation they cut through the flight deck, hangar deck and a few additional decks to pull the engines out. The reason is that the strength of the ship came from the integrity of the outer hull and you wouldn't want to violate that. Same thing here, rather than cutting a giant hole in the outer hull, it would be better for the ship's integrity to have a number of bulkheads removed and pull the engine parts out through a natural opening in the hull.

I would guess that this was done a few times in the service life of the Enterprise, but the last time (when a totally different engine arrangement was being used) they didn't put anything back into the open void in the core of the secondary hull.

Granted, this completely avoids the issue of the secondary hulls being completely different shapes between TOS and TMP... but otherwise it presents a logical reason for how and why those areas opened up the way they did.
Shaw is offline  
Old June 17 2008, 06:39 PM   #555
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Shaw wrote: View Post
Well, there is enough room in those general areas for one or two person lifts moving between those three deck levels. So Putting something in isn't too much of an issue, it is just that deck plans don't often show the space limitations the way that cross-sections of the hull can.

Below is a sketch of those three decks. I have this printed out and have been studying the region to get a better idea of what would be there and how it might be organized. And at this point I don't have the lifts or ladders designated yet.

Very nice!

Unfortunately it doesn't leave me enough room for my Class H shuttlecraft design.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.