Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old June 11 2008, 09:42 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

New Trek Product News

Over a dozen new Trek licenses for products were granted recently to companies interested in making Star Trek toys, clothing, etc.

As reported by TrekMovie.com, CBS Products announced the granting of various licenses for companies who will make Star Trek-related products for Star Trek collectors.

In the toy category, there will be offerings from Mattel, including games, dolls and other toys. In the past, Mattel had a license to make Star Trek toys, but has a broader license this time and will probably offer more toys. Ship model kits will be offered by Round Two, owners of Polar Lights and AMT model kits. A TOS-era Enterprise should be available this fall.

Clothing will be represented, with a license being offered to Fortune Fashions to make t-shirts. Fortune Fashions is only the latest company to offer Star Trek clothing. Another company will be offering Star Trek costumes again.

In addition to the PEZ candy dispensers already announced, other food-related items will appear. Deco_Pac will be making Trek-themed cake decorating kits. Les Chocolats Vadeboncoeur, a Canadian company, will offer Trek Easter chocolates.

To find out what other products are on the horizon, head to the article located here.

Old June 12 2008, 05:56 AM   #2
nx1701g
Admiral

Re: New Trek Product News

Am I the only one worried that they're jumping the gun?
Old June 12 2008, 09:33 AM   #3
Tyson
Fleet Captain

This kind of marketing blitz is par for the course when Hollywood has a big blockbuster to promote.

Being a Star Trek movie, it seems a bit out of place and rather presumptuous at this point though. They must think they have a film that will appeal to the teeming hordes of morons out there.
Old June 12 2008, 05:16 PM   #4
T'Cal
Commodore

I couldn't disagree more. This movie needs to be promoted like none have been before it. Paramount has never done enough to advertise its Trek films. There's a big investment in this one and they are wisely working to promote it.
Old June 12 2008, 05:43 PM   #5
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

Tyson wrote: View Post
This kind of marketing blitz is par for the course when Hollywood has a big blockbuster to promote.

Being a Star Trek movie, it seems a bit out of place and rather presumptuous at this point though. They must think they have a film that will appeal to the teeming hordes of morons out there.
Yes, because God forbid they should ever want a larger audience than the three million people who stuck with Enterprise until the bitter end.

This is a good first step. Even though the movie's been pushed back to next May, by getting the Star Trek brand back out there in the public consciousness, and by perhaps marketing it in ways Paramount didn't before, it'll at least have people taking notice of Trek again. Then the trailers and advertising for the actual movie can start to kick in.
"For those of you playing the home game, this is what is known as a 'Prince Albert'. And I'm sure that was his last wish. 'Victoria, I'm dying. I want you to name a museum, a performance hall, and a bolt through the cock after me.'"
—Robin Williams, Live on Broadway
Old June 12 2008, 07:53 PM   #6
Tyson
Fleet Captain

cardinal biggles wrote: View Post
Yes, because God forbid they should ever want a larger audience than the three million people who stuck with Enterprise until the bitter end.
I thought Enterprise was crap like most everyone else did, bub. The suckers that stuck with it are an anomaly even in this fandom. I want change for the franchise and all that good stuff.

My concern is that in order to appeal to Joe Average and his gaggle of ADD-ridden kids, it's going to be really shitty change. I don't think that's an unjustified concern, either.
Old June 13 2008, 06:27 AM   #7
nx1701g
Admiral

^ I had the same thoughts. I hope that Trek gets reborn and that the film does well, but chances are there will only be a lot of unsold merchandise. Hell, action figures from Trek's 1990s line are still on shelves of toy stores in my area (and I like in a suburb of Pittsburgh).
Old June 13 2008, 01:20 PM   #8
Sean Aaron
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sean Aaron Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Aaron

Yeah, but if the stuff is cool that means cheap collectibles!
Old June 14 2008, 02:35 AM   #9
nx1701g
Admiral

^ Or it could mean a further decrease in brand value and the possibility that there will not be a sequel to the film/rebirth of the Trek franchise. Now its all about the box office and how much junk is sold related to the film...
Old June 14 2008, 03:13 AM   #10
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Tyson wrote: View Post

Wait, wait.......

You mean us geeky, nerdy, virigins who live in our parents basements are NOT the teeming hordes of morons out there??