New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old June 8 2008, 02:01 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Bill Dial Passes

William Allen Dial passed away on Monday, June 2 after suffering a heart attack.

As reported by Radio-Info.com, Dial, best-known for his work on WKRP in Cincinnati died at his home in South Carolina.

Steve Stoliar, former secretary to Dial, confirmed the death. "Sorry to say, it's true. Bill Dial died of a heart attack at age sixty-six at his home in South Carolina. [Dial's obituary lists him as being sixty-four.] He'd had some health problems of late, and it finally caught up with him. He was a wonderful man whose influence on my life, personally and professionally, is incalculable. After he moved to Beaufort, we used to email each other whenever a celebrity would pass away, confessing varying degrees of sadness at their passing. Little did I know that Bill would be joining them so soon."

Dial wrote for Star Trek He was a co-writer on Deep Space Nine: The Alternate and he wrote another episode for the series, Tribunal. Dial also penned a Star Trek: Voyager episode, writing the initial teleplay for Eye of the Needle.

But Dial is best known for writing the Turkeys Away episode of WKRP in Cincinnati where general manager Arthur Carlson stages a Thanksgiving promotion where twenty live turkeys are dropped from a helicopter over a shopping center to unsuspecting shoppers. The problem is, turkeys can't fly! The episode was rated by TV Guide as the fortieth greatest episode in television history.

In addition to his work on both Star Trek and WKRP in Cincinnati, Dial worked as a writer, executive producer and creative consultant on shows such as Harper Valley P.T.A., Simon and Simon, Code Name: Foxfire and The New WKRP in Cincinnati. Most recently, he wrote for and was executive consultant on 18 Wheels of Justice, a Spike TV series.

Dial appeared in front of the camera in two episodes of WKRP in Cincinnati as Bucky Dornster, the beer-drinking engineer of WKRP, and also in a 1977 film, The Lincoln Conspiracy where he played George Atzerodt.

To read more, head to the articles located here, and here. Further info on Dial was taken from memory-alpha.org.

Old June 8 2008, 08:00 AM   #2
TGTheodore
Writer

Re: Bill Dial Passes

WGN just ran four classic WKRP episodes, including "Turkeys Away." My radio buddies and I never missed an episode of WKRP.

Thanks for the terrific laughs, Bill.

--Ted
Old June 8 2008, 08:11 AM   #3
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Wow. A lot of Trek-related deaths lately.
Old June 8 2008, 01:53 PM   #4
anti-matter
Rear Admiral

Well I remember 'Turkeys Away'...what a riot that was. R.I.P. Bill Dial.
Old June 8 2008, 03:34 PM   #5
Pioneer
Captain

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Wow. A lot of Trek-related deaths lately.
Yeah. Tell me about it.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old June 9 2008, 05:28 AM   #6
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

Baby. I wondered. Wondered, whatever happened to Dial.
Old June 9 2008, 09:14 PM   #7
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

More death?

Somebody please tell me I'm not gonna wake up tommorrow and find myself the last person alive on Earth. The way things have been going lately, that certainly seems to be the case. My own life, here.....

Shit. Just,

Shit.....
Old June 16 2008, 09:21 PM   #8
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

"As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly..."

R.I.P., sir.