RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,818
Currently online: 419
Newest member: Thomas Eugene

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old June 3 2008, 12:13 AM   #16
JonathonWally
Admiral

View JonathonWally's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to JonathonWally Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JonathonWally
Re: The unofficial Rock Band thread.

Smashing Pumpkins
Pantera
Ozzy
Dave Matthews Band
Van Halen
AC/DC
Def Leppard
Dream Theater
Pearl Jam
Iron Maiden
Jimi Hendrix
Korn

I could probably go on forever.
Are you hearin me, like I'm hearin you?
JonathonWally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2008, 12:54 AM   #17
Arrqh
Vice Admiral

View Arrqh's Twitter Profile

StolenThunder wrote: View Post
It's good - the guitar is way, way less difficult than GH and I like that. I just want to have fun in these games - not find everything a tiresome challenge.
It's not just that it's less difficult... the note charts in RB actually make sense, as opposed to GH3 where they're half random. Harmonix knows how to make good note charts, Neversoft did not. Hopefully they'll improve by GH4 or else I'll just skip it entirely.

If they do song creation and backwards compatibility with RB1 songs, I'll honestly have no reason to bother with GH4.
I really don't see the big deal in song creation in GH4. Yes, it'd be a cool thing to have, but as I understand it you basically make the note chart and it generates the music off of that. Unless I'm misunderstanding, it's not like you can import an mp3 and make a chart for it. And until someone does that (and no one will because of the IP concerns) I don't see the big deal.
Old June 3 2008, 11:48 AM   #18
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Well, GH4 looks actually fully featured. Yeah, they're not going to let you make notes based on mp3s - you have Frets on Fire for that - but I'm sure people will do some cool things since it looks like you can basically do something similar to "Jam Sessions" for the DS.
Of course, the lack of vocals will make the songs kind of suck... but if people can port over some cool instrumental songs - like Canon Rock - I'll be happy.

Also, tried the new songs. Pretty fun, if not a bit hard. I guess that's expected of metal or rock or whatever they are.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2008, 09:18 PM   #19
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

FREE SONGS!
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...&postcount=143

I feel like a dick for buying them, but there you go. Seems to be working for now anyway.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
Old June 3 2008, 11:29 PM   #20
StolenThunder
Poster

I don't have an account with that website. What is the message?
StolenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2008, 12:57 AM   #21
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

So, yeah. Apparently, these are multiple use codes.

Courtesy of Avis from the Xbox 360 Rock Band forum at GameFAQs:

" Go to http://disturbed1.com/xbox
Enter 1lfa89 and click submit.
Enter the code you receive on Live for the songs."

I just tried it and it works fine. I was planning on purchasing the pack anyway, but hey, you can't beat free.

Enjoy!
Weird. I didn't know you had to register to read posts? Anyhoo, there ya go!

Old June 4 2008, 01:13 AM   #22
Aragorn
Admiral

You have to register to read posts in their video game forum.
Aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2008, 01:14 AM   #23
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Hrm, that's weird. You can go into the deals forums without registering... and that should be their bread and butter.
Either way, free songs. I lost two bucks because I went ahead and bought the songs in the morning, but oh well.

Old June 4 2008, 01:51 AM   #24
Aragorn
Admiral

Now that I have two Disturbed songs, I will probably never play them again after the first run through them.

I'll just keep jamming away at Buffett and The Cars!
Old June 4 2008, 05:49 AM   #25
Aragorn
Admiral

Hmmm... something tells me that when Buffett re-recorded his songs for this game, he changed some of the lyrics:

I want to be a couch potato
Just play Rock Band every day
Old June 4 2008, 06:02 AM   #26
Worf412
Angry Pirate

Location: Cleaning up, moving on, going straight and choosing life.

Hermiod wrote: View Post
It's a rhythm game, it doesn't have to be played with the instruments. Guitar Hero III gives me the choice to use the controller
I gotta say, as a person who has played Rock Band/Guitar Hero once (and wasn't terribly blown away), what the hell is the point to playing it with a controller? That must seriously be one of the most boring video game experiences since Barbie's Horse Adventures.
Old June 4 2008, 06:06 AM   #27
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Well, it is easier because you don't have to strum, I guess.

Old June 4 2008, 07:12 AM   #28
Hermiod
Admiral

^I have tried the guitar and I just can't do it. I've tried it left handed and right handed and it just does not work for me. If I want to play the game in a manner that's "boring" and I'm willing to pay for the game, why shouldn't I be able to ?
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2008, 07:45 AM   #29
Arrqh
Vice Admiral

View Arrqh's Twitter Profile

Hermiod wrote: View Post
^I have tried the guitar and I just can't do it. I've tried it left handed and right handed and it just does not work for me. If I want to play the game in a manner that's "boring" and I'm willing to pay for the game, why shouldn't I be able to ?
If you don't want it then don't buy it, but the developer is under no obligation to add a specific feature that is in this case probably used by an extreme minority. There's obviously a lot of custom stuff going on in how it handles input (the guitar has more buttons now then the controller does) so they probably decided it wasn't worth the effort to support a feature so infrequently used or requested.

You're not willing to pay for the game, you're willing to pay for a different game.
Old June 4 2008, 07:51 AM   #30
Hermiod
Admiral

Arrghman wrote: View Post

If you don't want it then don't buy it, but the developer is under no obligation to add a specific feature that is in this case probably used by an extreme minority. There's obviously a lot of custom stuff going on in how it handles input (the guitar has more buttons now then the controller does) so they probably decided it wasn't worth the effort to support a feature so infrequently used or requested.

You're not willing to pay for the game, you're willing to pay for a different game.
Guitar Hero III allows the use of the controller and I believe the previous two games did as well.

And no, they're not under any obligation to do so themselves, but they have lost an otherwise guaranteed sale by not doing so.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote