RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,658
Members: 24,813
Currently online: 414
Newest member: SB118_Pavlova

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old May 30 2008, 10:17 PM   #1
Aragorn
Admiral

The unofficial Rock Band thread.

If anyone cares about discussing this game, I thought I'd start up a new thread.

This week's downloadable content was a complete album from The Cars from their self-titled album. It is the second of three announced complete albums to be released. The first one was Judas Priest's "Screaming for Vengeance." The Pixies' "Doolittle" is due out in June and The Who's "Who's Next" is rumored to be in the works.

Next week will feature two song packs of three songs each and the two artists are on opposite sides of the spectrum.

First off is Disturbed with "Indestructible," "Inside the Fire" and "Perfect Insanity" from their upcoming self-titled album. For a limited time, it'll be $2.99 for the three-pack or .99 cents per song.

But most surprisingly, Jimmy Buffett made new recordings of of three songs for Rock Band -- "Margaritaville," "Cheeseburger in Paradise" and "Volcano." These will be at their regular price.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2008, 02:53 AM   #2
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Re: The unofficial Rock Band thread.

I'm going to grab the Disturbed songs because they are cheap.
I like the German songs and the Muse song is awwweeeesome.

While I don't need RB2, I hope EA/HMX/MTV announces it and somehow punches GH4 in the gut. If they do song creation and backwards compatibility with RB1 songs, I'll honestly have no reason to bother with GH4.

Holy crap, I just youtubed some of the Jimmy Buffett stuff and wow... I wonder how the Rock Band crowd will take it.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2008, 03:43 AM   #3
Delsaber
Commodore

Aragorn wrote: View Post
The Pixies' "Doolittle" is due out in June
Sold. I'll take eight! I guess Wave of Mutilation is exempt considering it's already on the default tracklist? Maybe there's still time to convince 'em to put Vamos on there in its place...

I haven't played in a while. I'm okay at the drums, better than anyone else who tries to play 'em here, but better at the guitar. Still halfway through the Medium solo tour, though. Got other things to play.

I'd kill for a Bass solo tour.
Old May 31 2008, 06:00 AM   #4
JonathonWally
Admiral

View JonathonWally's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to JonathonWally Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JonathonWally

I picked up Rock Band a few months ago, but didn't have the time to get really into it until recently. There's tons of DC I wanna pick up for it. Especially those Disturbed tracks.

I think I tool around with the drums on my PC more than I use them for the game.
Are you hearin me, like I'm hearin you?
JonathonWally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2008, 10:49 AM   #5
Hermiod
Admiral

I would have picked this up, but the fact that it's hideously expensive in the UK and you have to buy the instruments (you can't use the regular controller) means I am no longer interested.

Hopefully the next Guitar Hero won't make the same mistake.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2008, 11:15 AM   #6
JonathonWally
Admiral

View JonathonWally's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to JonathonWally Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JonathonWally

Hermiod wrote: View Post
I would have picked this up, but the fact that it's hideously expensive in the UK and you have to buy the instruments (you can't use the regular controller) means I am no longer interested.

Hopefully the next Guitar Hero won't make the same mistake.
The point of the game is the instruments
Old May 31 2008, 11:18 AM   #7
Hermiod
Admiral

JonathonWally wrote: View Post
The point of the game is the instruments
It's a rhythm game, it doesn't have to be played with the instruments. Guitar Hero III gives me the choice to use the controller, Rock Band does not.

Rock Band would cost me £39.99 just for the game. The instruments all together are £99.99.

Then, Guitar Hero IV comes out with it's incompatible drum kit and I've got two sets of plastic drums taking up space in my house.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2008, 04:08 PM   #8
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

I had to RMA my drums as I had cracked the heads from all the abuse I have them. I got them back last Tuesday and I remember how much I was missing these last two weeks. I gold Star'd "Enter the Sandman" on Expert drums and I almost beat "Won't Get Fooled Again". I've been trying a different technique for the bass pedal stuff that is using a different set of muscles. I'm looking into getting a real set and doing the real thing.

I also finally beat "GG&HT" on expert guitar. I had been getting to 95% for months, but I tried a different technique that helped me get through the sweeps.

I can't wait for "Who's Next" to come out. I want more Keith Moon on drums!
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2008, 05:27 PM   #9
JonathonWally
Admiral

TheBrew wrote: View Post
I had to RMA my drums as I had cracked the heads from all the abuse I have them. I got them back last Tuesday and I remember how much I was missing these last two weeks. I gold Star'd "Enter the Sandman" on Expert drums and I almost beat "Won't Get Fooled Again". I've been trying a different technique for the bass pedal stuff that is using a different set of muscles. I'm looking into getting a real set and doing the real thing.

I also finally beat "GG&HT" on expert guitar. I had been getting to 95% for months, but I tried a different technique that helped me get through the sweeps.

I can't wait for "Who's Next" to come out. I want more Keith Moon on drums!
Use your thigh muscle and not your calf muscle, bending your knee and not your ankle.
Old May 31 2008, 06:01 PM   #10
StolenThunder
Poster

Since it's just out in the UK, I've been getting into it recently.

It's good - the guitar is way, way less difficult than GH and I like that. I just want to have fun in these games - not find everything a tiresome challenge. Guitar provides a nice break from medium drums which are a new skill for me to develop. Band stuff is super too.

The mix of songs is nice. Not everything is squeadly with its trembolos.
StolenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2008, 07:44 PM   #11
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

What I really want now is Dark Side of the Moon. I always wanted to see if I can nail the madcap laughter at the end of Brain Damage. Also Time's intro drum section should be very interesting to play.
"Bennett & Meyer are obviously the Ceti Eels introduced into the collective brain of Trekdom, leading to easy manipulation (TWOK), impaired cognitive functionality (TSFS), drooling (TVH), agonized death (TFF) and extended post-mortem twitching (TUC).
Daedalus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2008, 09:22 PM   #12
Fedaykin
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to Fedaykin

Daedalus12 wrote: View Post
What I really want now is Dark Side of the Moon. I always wanted to see if I can nail the madcap laughter at the end of Brain Damage. Also Time's intro drum section should be very interesting to play.
Any Floyd on one of these games would be welcome...Dark Side would be the ultimate.

That said, I'm totally downloading The Who stuff and Jimmy Buffett. i may eventually have to shell out for the bigger HD for the 360 if I keep downloading all this stuff.
"I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?"-John Lennon
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2008, 10:32 PM   #13
Aragorn
Admiral

Damnit, I missed one note playing "More Than a Feeling" on hard.

Any songs you wish Rock Band would add? Some for me:

1. Bitch - Meredith Brooks
2. Let It Ride - Bachman Turner Overdrive
3. The Touch - Stan Bush
4. Save Me - Remy Zero
5. C'mon C'mon - The Von Bondies
6. Princes of the Universe - Queen
7. It's the End of the World as we Know It - R.E.M.
8. More Bon Jovi
9. Maybe some Alanis Morissette

They need some more female vocal songs, since the only good singers I have are girls.

There's also a rumor that Rock Band players can kiss more Metallica goodbye since Guitar Hero: Aerosmith will be followed with Guitar Hero: Metallica.

Last edited by Aragorn; June 2 2008 at 10:42 PM.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2008, 11:21 PM   #14
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Apparently the Motley Crue song did better on Rock Band than it did on Amazon or iTunes. It's a whole new world baby.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2008, 11:25 PM   #15
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Damnit, I missed one note playing "More Than a Feeling" on hard.

Any songs you wish Rock Band would add? Some for me:

1. Bitch - Meredith Brooks
2. Let It Ride - Bachman Turner Overdrive
3. The Touch - Stan Bush
4. Save Me - Remy Zero
5. C'mon C'mon - The Von Bondies
6. Princes of the Universe - Queen
7. It's the End of the World as we Know It - R.E.M.
8. More Bon Jovi
9. Maybe some Alanis Morissette

They need some more female vocal songs, since the only good singers I have are girls.

There's also a rumor that Rock Band players can kiss more Metallica goodbye since Guitar Hero: Aerosmith will be followed with Guitar Hero: Metallica.
I Gold Starred MTaF one my first try. I guess I must have remembered how it went on GH I

I want some 38 Special. That would rock.
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote