Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old May 29 2008, 12:33 PM   #196
Hermiod
Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

^There's nothing honest about Lawrenson. If you don't play for Liverpool, you may as well be dead because there's no way he's going to acknowledge that you've done anything decent on the pitch.

At least they've drafted in Lee Dixon to remind the audience that teams from the South exist.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2008, 12:38 PM   #197
Jax
Admiral

I like how blunt and sarchastic he can be when ENG make bad mistakes, hes not scared of not talking incase of losing his job. However I miss Graeme Le Saux a little because he used to work with Motty too and he was very good.

I prefer Ian Wright in the studio over Dixon.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2008, 12:58 PM   #198
Hermiod
Admiral

^So did I, but at least we have a non-Northern representative now, someone who doesn't believe that kicking more skillful players to "let them know you're there" is okay. Lineker is just a presenter, he doesn't really offer much of an opinion.
Old May 29 2008, 04:25 PM   #199
Hermiod
Admiral

Two bits of news.

Chelsea have sacked Henk ten Cate.

The Scottish Football League have relegated crisis club Gretna to the third division.
Old May 29 2008, 04:33 PM   #200
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Hermiod wrote: View Post
. Lineker is just a presenter, he doesn't really offer much of an opinion.
So why don't they get a presenter who knows something about football?
Old May 29 2008, 04:44 PM   #201
Hermiod
Admiral

^Well, I don't believe that a former England international knows nothing about Football, it's just that he spends his time asking questions instead of offering his own opinion.
Old May 30 2008, 08:45 AM   #202
Hermiod
Admiral

Well done, FIFA! You've just fraked yourselves.

This rule is illegal within the European Union. It is an illegal restraint of trade and of an EU citizen's freedom of movement.

The best case scenario is that the EU slaps this one down within their borders.

The worst case scenario is that the big clubs just start their own competition outside of FIFA's influence.
Old May 30 2008, 09:05 AM   #203
Roger Wilco
Admiral

The worst case scenario is that the big clubs just start their own competition outside of FIFA's influence.
Actually that'd be the best case. The FIFA (and the UEFA too btw) is nothing but a parasite on the sport. The hubris to think any of their rules could override fundamental EU policy principles is mindblowing, but it's exemplary of the opinion those corrupt technocrats have about themselves - thinking they operate outside of the rule of law.
Old May 30 2008, 09:13 AM   #204
Hermiod
Admiral

^It would really, really hurt football. The big clubs wouldn't take the smaller clubs with them and there would be no promotion or relegation.

As it stands, with the influx of foreign owners in to British football and number of the newly rich clubs' owners don't want to risk their investments by seeing their clubs relegated from the Premier League and have argued strongly to do away with relegation from the top flight.

Of course, to ordinary football fans like you and me, that idea is abhorrent.
Old May 30 2008, 09:30 AM   #205
Roger Wilco
Admiral

To be honest, I wouldn't mind the big clubs splitting off.
I love the European Cup, playing against foreign clubs instead of the usual league routine (it's especially bad in the Austrian league, because there are just 10 clubs, and everyone plays against each other 4 times a season), is very fun and rewarding.
But the difference in financial capabilities between a "middle class" club internationally (or slightly below that) like the one I support and the top clubs has become so enourmous that the game just isn't the same anymore. Three years ago, Rapid played in the Champions League and ended the group phase with no points and 3:15 goals in six games. And since then the gap has even widened for sure. Now we can barely compete in the UEFA-Cup anymore...

Or take the Premier League as an example - you could predict with near certainty, that no club but Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal will have a shot at the championship within the next decade. Of course there are many clubs, who never had a realistic chance of winning a big title, and never will, but they could dream about it at least. How's that fair? Imo the Champions League is responsible for that.
Old May 30 2008, 09:40 AM   #206
Hermiod
Admiral

The amount of money available to the smaller clubs would decrease further, though. Sky would pay a lot less for the rights to a Premier League without the big four (and possibly the better supported non-big four sides like Everton, Tottenham, Villa, Newcastle etc).

Yeah, the smaller clubs might win things more often, but the winner would be a small fish in an even smaller pond.

I don't mean to be disrespectful to the smaller clubs here, just realistic.
Old May 30 2008, 11:42 AM   #207
Jax
Admiral

I think FIFA need to Compromise...

Next season we will have 18 not 16 man teams for a PL match so with that in mind FIFA should say 4 homegrown players in the 18 match day squad BUT but not starting line ups because you can't dictate a starting line up because your ruining a manager's tactics. Of course the rule could be waved for a short time due to injury and suspensions.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Old May 30 2008, 12:08 PM   #208
Hermiod
Admiral

If by "homegrown" you mean developed by the club (i.e. they played for the club between the ages of say 16 and 18) but regardless of nationality then I totally support that. Of course, I am biased because at Arsenal we have a number of such players and more coming through.

But you can't do it by nationality, not in Europe.

I don't support propping up bad players just because they've got the right passport. Competition is what makes players better. Even David Bentley agrees on that point.
Old May 30 2008, 12:42 PM   #209
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

I think FIFA needs to stay out of business of interfering with club football period. In all the major sports in NA (football, basketball, hockey, and baseball) none of the international sporting bodies (FIBA for example) have any say over the club level competitions and that is the way it should be.
"Bennett & Meyer are obviously the Ceti Eels introduced into the collective brain of Trekdom, leading to easy manipulation (TWOK), impaired cognitive functionality (TSFS), drooling (TVH), agonized death (TFF) and extended post-mortem twitching (TUC).
Daedalus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2008, 03:12 PM   #210
Jax
Admiral

If by "homegrown" you mean developed by the club (i.e. they played for the club between the ages of say 16 and 18) but regardless of nationality then I totally support that. Of course, I am biased because at Arsenal we have a number of such players and more coming through.

But you can't do it by nationality, not in Europe.

I don't support propping up bad players just because they've got the right passport. Competition is what makes players better. Even David Bentley agrees on that point.
If Arsenal can't field 4 English players in a 18 man squad (don't have to start or play) then we might as well scrap international football in England. I don't agree with Blatter but the clubs need to do more and I can't see why a compromise cannot be achieved.