Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old May 29 2008, 03:44 PM   #991
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny
Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Christopher wrote: View Post
The Laws of Robotics are not a genuine scientific or engineering principle, but a literary device. Heck, the only reason Asimov made up the word "robotics" is because he didn't know enough about the field to be aware there was already a term for it, "cybernetics."
Didn't cybernetics come afterward as a scientific field of inquiry? And when was the word "cybernetics" coined anyway?

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2008, 04:39 PM   #992
Christopher
Writer

Actually the term cybernetics was originated by Plato to refer to his theory of self-governance. Its use in computer science was originated by Norbert Weiner in 1948. In fact, Asimov coined "robotics" in 1941, so I was in error. But it would be a mistake to assume that Asimov was in any way a scientist in the field of electronics, robotics, or anything of the sort. He was a biochemistry professor who wrote science fiction and who made up terminology for his robotics stories without any actual expertise in the field beyond the curiosity of an avid student of knowledge in general.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2008, 09:54 PM   #993
JD
Admiral

I didn't know Asimove coined the term robtics. I had always assumed the term had been around a lot longer than that.
Old May 29 2008, 10:48 PM   #994
Christopher
Writer

^^Well, the word robot itself only dates back to 1921. So the term robotics is only two decades younger. (And they were both coined in works of science fiction, the former in Karel Capek's play R.U.R.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2008, 11:04 PM   #995
JD
Admiral

Well this has actually been a very educational trip to the boards for me.
Old May 29 2008, 11:16 PM   #996
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Just curious, does the board still have the "1000 posts max" rule since the switch-over? If so, it's about time to start a new Cast the Characters of Trek Literature thread.
Old May 29 2008, 11:21 PM   #997
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Just curious, does the board still have the "1000 posts max" rule since the switch-over? If so, it's about time to start a new Cast the Characters of Trek Literature thread.
No, at least from a technical standpoint AntonyF has given his ok for larger threads. The official ruling at the moment is that it's up to the respective forum's mods if they still enforce the rule for some reason or not.

ETA: You can find a recent Q,S&F thread about the topic here.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2008, 11:40 PM   #998
Rosalind
TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod

Defcon wrote: View Post
Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
No, at least from a technical standpoint AntonyF has given his ok for larger threads. The official ruling at the moment is that it's up to the respective forum's mods if they still enforce the rule for some reason or not.
Both Emh and myself feel we should leave this one open.
Rosalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2008, 02:47 AM   #999
JD
Admiral

As I've been reading Night of the Wolves, I've "cast" Eliza Dushku as Taryl. So far she's the only original character any actors have popped into my mind for.
Old June 28 2008, 10:35 PM   #1000
Darth_Pazuzu
Rear Admiral

I've been reading the latest DS9 novel, Fearful Symmetry by Olivia Woods, and I have been enjoying it immensely. And I have a few casting suggestions for some of the minor characters:

I have long been a fan of both John Hurt and Charlotte Rampling, two of my favorite British actors. I can't think of anyone else other than Hurt for Dukat's warden, Dal Rokai. (I mean, can you imagine that terrific scream for when Ileana blasts him in the kneecap??) And for some weird reason I keep thinking of Rampling for the role of the Kressari woman Shing-kur. (Probably it's because she's got such distinctive eyes, and in this story we learn that a Kressari's eyes change color according to mood.)
Old June 30 2008, 02:06 AM   #1001
ShinRa Actual
Lieutenant

Send a message via AIM to ShinRa Actual

KRAD wrote: View Post
^ In all seriousness, Nielsen used to be a romantic lead in his younger days, most famously in Forbidden Planet. And I can actually see him doing justice to Gold.....
If anyone's interested in seeing more recent (Mid 90s), semi-serious acting from Mr. Nielsen, checking out the DVDs for dueSouth would be a good idea. It leans towards the absurd, but there's still a few scenes of genuine serious acting, especially in the first episodes he guest stars in.

Of course, he also has Captaining experience from SS Posiedon, too.

Last edited by ShinRa Actual; June 30 2008 at 08:48 PM.
ShinRa Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2008, 07:30 PM   #1002
flandry84
Captain

Some of the authors on here have suggested Harry Morgan for Capt.Gold.I really don't get the "oy vey" vibe from Mr.Morgan.Maybe Elliot Gould or even George Segal might be more likely.

Now somebody will no doubt tell me Mr.Morgan was originally Morganstern or something.
flandry84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2008, 08:10 PM   #1003
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

How about Alan Alda as he is now for Capt. Gold?

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2008, 08:14 PM   #1004
MichaelS
Fleet Captain

I'm all for Harry Morgan as Gold myself, but recently I've been watching the second season of Boston Legal, and I believe Shelley Berman would be a good choice, too.
Old June 30 2008, 09:04 PM   #1005
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ Berman is a great comedy actor, but after seeing him in Boston Legal and as Larry David's dad in Curb Your Enthusiasm, I couldn't take him seriously in anything, even if he is actually the greatest dramatic actor alive!

Alda I like, though my choice is still Topol.