Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old May 24 2008, 02:19 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Urban on McCoy and 'Star Trek XI'

Karl Urban hopes the quality of Star Trek XI leads to further films with his new castmates.

As reported by stuff.co.nz, Urban feels that Star Trek still has stories to tell today. "The essence of what Gene Roddenberry created is worth pursuing," said Urban. "With the kind of advances with storytelling technology there's a lot more we are capable of doing these days. I think that since it's been seventeen years since Star Trek has been on the big screen. It's the perfect time to bring it back and show these characters in their early years and get a bit of a back story."

Urban is glad to be part of the forty-year-old franchise. "To be part of a new wave or revival of the old Star Trek is just a really fantastic experience," he said. Star Trek's long history was an asset when it came to preparing for his role. "I am very thankful to have had such a legacy of work to look at," said Urban. "It was really wonderful having Leonard Nimoy in the film. He would not have been in it, and given the film his blessing if he did not think it was a worthy project. We were very privileged to have him."

Amok Time is one of Urban's favorite Star Trek episode. "Amok Time's about the relationship between Kirk, Spock and McCoy," explains Urban. "And I like how Bones saves the day."

McCoy's relationship to Kirk and Spock are a big part of the success of Star Trek, with McCoy's own positive traits making up for his occasional crankiness. "I guess in terms of the qualities Kelley bought to the role, what I really respond to is his sense of irascibility with a real passion for life and doing the right thing, which was a great thing for Kirk," said Urban. "We would have Spock's logic and McCoy's moral standing which gave Kirk the benefit of having three brains instead of just one."

Urban found working on the Star Trek XI set to be a pleasant experience. "I have never worked on a film that's been as funny as this one. We were constantly cracking up. I would dearly love the opportunity to carry on with that cast. They are really wonderful, but it's a bit too early to speculate on things. We really have everything going for us."

To read more, head to the article located here.

Old May 24 2008, 07:47 AM   #2
MattJC
Fleet Captain

Re: Urban on McCoy and 'Star Trek XI'

Seventeen years since Star Trek has been on the big screen?
I know the TNG movies aren't the most popular films, but they are still Star Trek.
I knew these idiots views TOS as THE ONLY SERIES.
Old May 24 2008, 02:58 PM   #3
Procutus
Admiral

What Urban is really saying here is that it's been seventeen years since these particular characters have appeared on the big screen. That's not to slight the TNG cast or any Trek that follows. It's about reviving Star Trek in its original form.
Old May 24 2008, 07:53 PM   #4
MattJC
Fleet Captain

Procutus wrote: View Post
What Urban is really saying here is that it's been seventeen years since these particular characters have appeared on the big screen. That's not to slight the TNG cast or any Trek that follows. It's about reviving Star Trek in its original form.
That's funny cause this new movie doesn't even look like Star Trek in it's original form.
Old May 24 2008, 09:46 PM   #5
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Of all the performances, Urban's is the one I'm most curious to see.

I'm pretty certain Quinto will be great as Spock.

Pine doesn't have the option of just aping Shatner, so he'll have to create a somewhat new Kirk anyway. I'm optimistic that he'll pass muster, too.

But McCoy is so damn specific of a character, it's going to be a real challenge to re-create him.
Old May 24 2008, 09:53 PM   #6
Chindogu
Commander

Urban as McCoy is going to be interesting. There's something about his face that gives me a McCoy vibe. Hopefully they abandoned the "dare devil" aspect mentioned in the casting sheet though. I don't want to see him throw any punches or go rock climbing or something like that.

This whole movie is going to be slightly surreal.

MattJC wrote: View Post
Procutus wrote: View Post
That's funny cause this new movie doesn't even look like Star Trek in it's original form.
Of course it doesn't. It's 2008 not 1966. I think most rational people understand that. Well I guess instead of making one movie for 150 million they could have made a few hundred episodes using the original sets and production techniques. But then again The Cage doesn't match Where No Man Has Gone Before (the very next Star Trek produced!) exactly either, so whose to say what is proper for Star Trek? Oh yeah, it's Paramount.

Your complaints have nothing to do with "quality" anyway, which is subjective for the most part, just the direction of the production. You don't like the direction then don't support it. Complaining about it isn't going to change anything. Find fan productions that are similar to your vision to support. Or better yet create something Star Trek related that you'd like to see.
Old May 24 2008, 10:37 PM   #7
MattJC
Fleet Captain

Who are you to tell me what to do?
Old May 24 2008, 11:21 PM   #8
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Hopefully they abandoned the "dare devil" aspect mentioned in the casting sheet though.
McCoy is the opposite of a daredevil. He's a fussy old granny sometimes - how can you describe someone with a transporter phobia as a daredevil. But sometimes he can just say frak the rules and do as he pleases (such as in "Amok Time"). His contrariness is what makes him so specific and hard for an actor to get a bead on.
Old May 25 2008, 12:33 AM   #9
Dukhat
Commodore

So you've already seen the movie then, eh? Care to tell us all what it's about and what happens in it, because I'm sure every other person on Earth who hasn't seen the movie yet and can't give a true opinion of it would like to know.
Old May 25 2008, 01:03 AM   #10
MattJC
Fleet Captain

You don't pay attention to leaked photos and all that crap do you?
Old May 25 2008, 01:09 AM   #11
ancient
Vice Admiral

Well, this is kinda non-news, but I'm glad the cast hit it off.

It has been almost 2 decades since the Star Trek characters have been used, so it's a smart move to remake them for...the next genertaion of fans.
Old May 25 2008, 04:18 AM   #12
Dukhat
Commodore

Yeah. Photos of faraway people wearing red and blue uniforms, and photos of a partially-built set and a shuttle. And with that rip-roaring amount of information as your arsenal, you've already convinced yourself that all two-and-a-half hours of this movie (of which you've seen practically nothing) is going to suck?
Old May 25 2008, 04:49 AM   #13
MattJC
Fleet Captain

Dukhat wrote: View Post
Yeah. Photos of faraway people wearing red and blue uniforms, and photos of a partially-built set and a shuttle. And with that rip-roaring amount of information as your arsenal, you've already convinced yourself that all two-and-a-half hours of this movie (of which you've seen practically nothing) is going to suck?
I've seen and heard enough info about this garbage.
Old May 25 2008, 03:30 PM   #14
Procutus
Admiral

I've seen and heard enough info about this garbage.

Well everyone's entitled to their opinion, I reckon.
Old May 25 2008, 03:56 PM   #15
ancient
Vice Admiral

Personally, I haven't seen enough until the movie is over.

Or at least until I see at least one of the main actors in unifrom. Not that rain-coat pics & cadet uniform pics are bad, per se.