Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old May 23 2008, 05:19 PM   #1
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

"Star Trek: Phase II" Enterprise

This is something I've been fiddling with, off and on, for a long time. I've been fascinated by Jefferies' design for the refit Enterprise since I first saw Mike Minor's renderings of it in Starlog back in 1978.

The modeling is complete except for airlock and running light details. I haven't done any texturing yet.

As reference for this, I've used the Jefferies drawings available online as well as photographs of the partially completed model and Minor's color renderings. Where there are inconsistencies I've privileged the Jefferies art over the model and the model over the Minor renderings. I've done my best to ignore what I know about the TMP improvements, and invented, added and extrapolated very very little. Therefore the detailing on this version may be rather plain, even compared to the original TOS shooting model.

My intent was to get as close as I could to what Jefferies appears to have intended the ship to look like.

This is in Lightwave, and I'll release the mesh over at www.foundation3d.com as soon as it's textured - probably about two weeks, as I have some work I'm doing for other folks that needs to be finished up immediately.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2008, 05:42 PM   #2
NiteTrek
Captain

Re: "Star Trek: Phase II" Enterprise

Looks good! In all the models of NCC-1701, I always wondered why they didn't have a rear firing torpedo bay at the same level on the neck (or close) to the forward firing bays. You could have the same crew man both bays or at least make it easier since they would be so close together.

Last edited by NiteTrek; May 23 2008 at 10:31 PM. Reason: fixed type
NiteTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2008, 06:04 PM   #3
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
This is something I've been fiddling with, off and on, for a long time. I've been fascinated by Jefferies' design for the refit Enterprise since I first saw Mike Minor's renderings of it in Starlog back in 1978.

The modeling is complete except for airlock and running light details. I haven't done any texturing yet.

As reference for this, I've used the Jefferies drawings available online as well as photographs of the partially completed model and Minor's color renderings. Where there are inconsistencies I've privileged the Jefferies art over the model and the model over the Minor renderings. I've done my best to ignore what I know about the TMP improvements, and invented, added and extrapolated very very little. Therefore the detailing on this version may be rather plain, even compared to the original TOS shooting model.

My intent was to get as close as I could to what Jefferies appears to have intended the ship to look like.

This is in Lightwave, and I'll release the mesh over at www.foundation3d.com as soon as it's textured - probably about two weeks, as I have some work I'm doing for other folks that needs to be finished up immediately.
Damn..my work computer won't let me view anything at photobucket...would love to see your material..and I love that PHASE II book. The art and all the behind the scenes stuff is fascinating. But, after reading those stories they were to have done, not sure if it would have gone over. Roddenberry's writing seemed stalled in the 60s...

Rob
Scorpio
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2008, 07:33 PM   #4
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Beautiful work. I've also been interested in the unproduced Phase II version, so it's great to see it come to life.

How many faces does the mesh come out to?
Old May 23 2008, 08:33 PM   #5
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

NiteTrek wrote: View Post
Looks good! In all the models of NCC-1701, I always wondered why they didn't have a rear firing torpedo by at the same level on the neck (or close) to the forward firing bays. You could have the same crew man both bays or at least make it easier since they would be so close together.
In "Ships of the Starfleet Vol. 1" by Mastercom Data Center, they came up with the America class Heavy Cruiser that addressed this very thing.
Old May 23 2008, 10:29 PM   #6
NiteTrek
Captain

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
In "Ships of the Starfleet Vol. 1" by Mastercom Data Center, they came up with the America class Heavy Cruiser that addressed this very thing.
Cool! Are there any more "finished" pictures of this ship?
Old May 23 2008, 10:31 PM   #7
Patrickivan
Fleet Captain

Very nice- however in the movie posters in the comic books that I have, there seems to be a significant amount off windows. Especially on the saucer, though the egineering section seems to have many windows too. I assume you have seen these images, and if so, why leave them off the render?

I too thought this was a neat concept. A bridge between TOS and TMP Enterprise. It always seemed pausible to me that after the first 3 years of the 5 year mission, this could have been how the ship was refitted over time. In pieces that were replaced- first the warp nacelles, pylons, and engineering section. The bridge module is swapped out. Modifications are made to the neck and the photon torpedoe launcher. The saucer is refitted with more windows- and whatever. By the end of the 5 year mission, we have this ship, and it is this ship that is "Refitted" into the MP Enterprise. Making the transition to the motion picture "refit" more reasonable. Decker's statement is so much more reasonable because this one is closer looking in a lot of respects (especially the engineering section). This is a ship that seemed plausible in the Star Trek universe.

Well done!

40 Years and ticking. Damn, that's too old fashioned.
40 years and still processing!

Last edited by Patrickivan; May 23 2008 at 10:39 PM.
Patrickivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2008, 11:34 PM   #8
Bernard Guignard
Captain

Very nice work.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/trekno...yguid=89237652
Bernard Guignard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2008, 01:11 AM   #9
dru
Fleet Captain

Excellent.
dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2008, 02:52 AM   #10
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Thanks, guys.

Patrickivan wrote: View Post
Very nice- however in the movie posters in the comic books that I have, there seems to be a significant amount off windows. Especially on the saucer, though the egineering section seems to have many windows too. I assume you have seen these images, and if so, why leave them off the render?
Because the poster image you're referring to - which is very cool - is art created after the fact for marketing purposes related to ST-TMP. All of those windows and much of the suggestions of nerny detailing don't have anything to do with the actual design of the "Phase II" ship as drawn by Jefferies or constructed by Loos or rendered from those references by Mike Minor during the period that the series was in pre-production. Dynamic as it is, the poster image doesn't accurately reflect what was designed and (partly) built.

I based the window placement on the mesh directly on Jefferies' detailed drawings of the engineering hull, photographs of the interconnecting neck on the Don Loos model, and on the Minor art - the last indicates that the arrangement of windows on the saucer would have been very similar to the TOS ship, so I used that vessel for additional reference to fill it out a bit.

This mesh sits at about 75,000 polygons, I think.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2008, 05:12 AM   #11
Shaw
Commodore

I've noticed that a lot of people add in the deflector dish on the secondary hull... this has been one of those details that has always troubled me because it is absent from every Phase II drawing I've seen to date, but Jefferies took great care in making sure that it was included (in detail) in the original plans for the Enterprise back in 1964 (comparison below).

I was wondering if you had found some additional details on this area that I've over looked or if this was (in the absence of concrete evidence either way) a style choice?

I love this ship though (even without the texturing).

It is great that between your work here and that of NBTrekie that we finally have some realizations of it that can give us some idea of what we might have seen had we gotten the series.
Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2008, 06:03 AM   #12
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

Nice work!

If you're ignoring the refit, why are the warp grilles TMP purple? Just curious.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2008, 07:13 AM   #13
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

To paraphrase Vina, he has to color them something...doesn't he?
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2008, 10:57 AM   #14
Jon1701
Rear Admiral

Great work, Dennis.

Are you going to do anything with the *say it quietly* Nacelle caps? Looking on your model you've greyed them out. I'm at work at the moment, so I can't remember the detail on that picture of the unfinished model.

Did he jefferies intend to have anything going on there?

Do you?

Last edited by Jon1701; May 24 2008 at 03:18 PM.
Jon1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2008, 03:09 PM   #15
NiteTrek
Captain

jon1701 wrote: View Post
Are you going to do anything with the *say it quietly* Nacelle caps?
I wonder how they would look with something similar to the sparkly glow of the original (of course you couldn't do the spinning effect.)

I really like this model, I hope once it's complete you would consider adding some cool background shots so we can use as wallpaper.