Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old May 12 2008, 11:57 AM   #136
Hermiod
Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

I'm still against some of these mediocre players being picked on their reputations alone. Yes, I know I hate Spurs but even so, Jenas and Huddlestone have done nothing to show that they are England quality. If they are so good, why does Huddlestone sit on a bench every week and why haven't Spurs finished in the top ten ?

We should be looking to the U21's to fill out the squad.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2008, 12:34 PM   #137
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

I think the latest squad does a pretty solid job of highlighting just how bereft of talent in depth we are at the moment.

Jenas? Huddlestone? Jagielka? WTF?!
Old May 12 2008, 01:07 PM   #138
Hermiod
Admiral

Jagielka's not so bad, but he's not exactly world class. I do not mind having utility players who can fill a number of gaps in the squad. Jagielka can play right back, centre back or defensive midfield.

Back to the transfer gossip - Arsene is saying on Arsenal.com that he will be making offers for two players in the next two weeks. One from outside the Premier League and one from within. My money is on Hatem Ben Arfa being the one from outside.

As for the one from within I am not sure. He does note that he expects this player to be expensive. Gareth Barry ? Micah Richards ? Gabriel Agbonlahor ?

We have also been linked with a bargain basement move for Richard Dunne. Dunne would be available for a miniscule £1m.
Old May 15 2008, 02:28 PM   #139
RaulMacca
Vice Admiral

Just back from the UEFA Cup final and what a few weeks I've had, was in Madrid when the boys came back as champions the crowd was huge but nothing compared to last night in manchester, god only knows what the real figure was but I know this it was way more than 100,000 rangers fans they expected.
Rangers as always this year were awful to watch and frankly deserved nothing from the game, but we deserved something for our drinking and singing plus creating rivers of piss that ran through the littered and soiled streets of manchester.
Old May 15 2008, 06:06 PM   #140
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Huddlestone is in the U21's and is a regular in midfield with Noble.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2008, 06:15 PM   #141
Hermiod
Admiral

NX_01 Mark wrote: View Post
Hermiod wrote: View Post
Huddlestone is in the U21's and is a regular in midfield with Noble.
Sorry, I always have trouble remembering that Huddlestone is under the age of 21.
Old May 16 2008, 12:48 AM   #142
Jax
Admiral

He's 22 in December from what I found on his profile. Good 2-0 win tonight for ENG U21's vs. Wales U21's. Wales matched us quite well but our defending was better with both our goals coming from dribbling acorss there earlier and a penalty from one and deflection from other.

Now if only other ENG players could take a penalty at international level like Huddlestone did
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Old May 18 2008, 02:56 PM   #143
HRHTheKING
Fleet Captain

England's Under 21 squad is very impressive.
Old May 18 2008, 11:15 PM   #144
Jax
Admiral

Apart from the shooutout defeat in the semi final of 07 championship, its been a long time since they last lost a game. I have to admit I enjoy watching the U21 alot.
Old May 19 2008, 08:38 AM   #145
Jax
Admiral

So UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL this wednesday and despite me hoping to see a MAN UTD win because I hate how boring CHELSEA are, I can't see it happening.

I feel Chelsea will win 2-1 or even 2-0 and just sit back while Utd attack and then probably score a very poxy goal.
Old May 19 2008, 01:46 PM   #146
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Is there any way both could lose? I'm rooting for a meteor storm or an earthquake or something.
Old May 19 2008, 01:57 PM   #147
BRG
Commander

NX_01 Mark wrote: View Post
So UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL this wednesday and despite me hoping to see a MAN UTD win because I hate how boring CHELSEA are, I can't see it happening.

I feel Chelsea will win 2-1 or even 2-0 and just sit back while Utd attack and then probably score a very poxy goal.
I'm in the opposite camp. I hate Man Utd, and would love to see Chelsea steal the big one from right under their noses.
However, I can't see anything but an Easy Win for United. I think 2-0.
BRG
Scottish League Cup Winners- 2012
BRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2008, 02:32 PM   #148
HRHTheKING
Fleet Captain

I'm hoping for some kind of coup or revolution to take place in Moscow tonight.

Or maybe for both sides to get four players sent off, thus forcing the game to be abandoned.

But it seems unlikely.

So Chelsea simply must win. It's the lesser of two evils.
Old May 21 2008, 07:12 PM   #149
Jax
Admiral

Man Utd have gone with an attacking line up and that is wise because Terry has not had alot of games lately and Essien is not a natural right back so Utd must push hard and they can uncover Chelsea's weakeness.

The danger man tonight for me is Ballack who is on form lately and Utd must not let him win anything in the air inside the box or they will probably live to regret it
Old May 21 2008, 09:27 PM   #150
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Hey, if this game stays 1:1 until after the extra-time, an english team will win a penalty shoot-out, a historic event - at least something about this game would be extraordinary then.