Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old May 18 2008, 03:58 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Takei On Recent California Marriage Decision

After being with his partner for almost two dozen years, George Takei can now plan a marriage.

As reported at GeorgeTakei.com, Takei is pleased that his same-sex relationship can lead to marriage in California with the recent decision of the California Supreme Court to permit same-sex marriage."Our California dream is reality," said Takei. "Brad Altman and I can now marry. We are overjoyed! At long last, the barrier to full marriage rights for same-sex couples has been torn down. We are equal with all citizens of our state!"

"The California Supreme Court further ruled that our Constitution provides for equal protection for all and that it cannot have marriage for one group and another form, domestic partnership, for another group," added Takei. "No more "separate but equal." No more second-class citizenship. Brad and I are going to be married as full citizens of our state."

"With time, I know the opposition to same sex marriage, too, will be seen as an antique and discreditable part of our history," said Takei. "For now, Brad and I are enjoying the delicious dilemma of deciding where, when, and how we will be married. Marriage equality took a long time, but, like fine wine, its bouquet is simply exquisite."

Takei also spoke of his experience in participating in the Secret Talents of the Stars. "It was a lot of fun working with super wonderful people under the usual pressure of a large and complex production," he said. "The music started and I got with the beat. The rousing rhythm of Willie Nelson's great hit, 'On the Road Again,' felt so right. The song joyfully flowed out of my body. I sang my heart out. The cheering, stomping and hollerin' when I finished was tremendous. Signs that read 'Beam Me Up' and 'This is Takei Country' bobbed up and down. It was truly an exhilarating feeling."

To read more, head to the articles located here and here.

Old May 18 2008, 05:44 PM   #2
Pioneer
Captain

Re: Takei On Recent California Marriage Decision

IFAIK domestic partners have the same rights under California law as married people do. So the marriage decision is moot. I think that government should get out of the marriage business altogether and just adjudicate domestic partnership rights. In other words, you go to the state to get a domestic partnership license which will grant the partners certain rights and responsibilities under the law regardless of the genders of the respective partners. Marriage, on the other hand, is a religious/social ritual/agreement like, say, baptism and as such is irrelevant to the state and separate from it, like religion itself.

But if I were a gay in California (I am neither), I wouldn't be so quick to pop open the champagne. It won't be long until some right-wing stormtroopers start a movement to draft an amendment to the California constitution forbidding same-sex marriages. It's already happened in several other states. Sad. Sad and evil.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old May 18 2008, 06:44 PM   #3
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

Pioneer wrote: View Post

But if I were a gay in California (I am neither), I wouldn't be so quick to pop open the champagne. It won't be long until some right-wing stormtroopers start a movement to draft an amendment to the California constitution forbidding same-sex marriages.
The sooner the better.

Back to George Takei, the new Queen of Outer Space: I don't know what offends me more--his inability to shut up about his homosexuality, or his attempt to start a singing career.
Old May 18 2008, 07:10 PM   #4
Kpnuts
Commodore

His inability to shut up about anything.
Old May 18 2008, 09:17 PM   #5
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Congratulations to Takei and his partner soon-to-be-spouse.

Folks who think they're going to roll this decision back in California are due for a shock.
Old May 18 2008, 09:39 PM   #6
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
Congratulations to Takei and his partner soon-to-be-spouse.

Folks who think they're going to roll this decision back in California are due for a shock.
I don't know why you think so. The initiative on the November ballot does not need a two-thirds majority to pass. A single vote majority will do.
Old May 18 2008, 11:00 PM   #7
garamet
Writer

Kpnuts wrote: View Post
Of course. Everybody knows actors waive their right to opinions as soon as they get their SAG card.

- Isaac Asimov (Newsweek, 1980)

Old May 19 2008, 01:00 AM   #8
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

TrekToday wrote: View Post
"For now, Brad and I are enjoying the delicious dilemma of deciding where, when, and how we will be married. Marriage equality took a long time, but, like fine wine, its bouquet is simply exquisite."
Well, he certainly is gay.

Good for you, George. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on this when you next co-host the Howard Stern show.

And I have to agree with Howard when he said, "I think gays should have the right to get married. Why can't they be miserable like the rest of us?"
Old May 19 2008, 02:25 AM   #9
ancient
Vice Admiral

I heard they also made it legal for the SHAT to marry himself. He's a very lucky man.
Old May 19 2008, 02:28 AM   #10
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

ancient wrote: View Post
I heard they also made it legal for the SHAT to marry himself. He's a very lucky man.
It must have been his lifelong ambition!
Old May 19 2008, 02:22 PM   #11
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post
ancient wrote: View Post
It must have been his lifelong ambition!
Hope he finds married sex as stimulating as shacking up with himself.
Old May 20 2008, 08:26 AM   #12
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Sadly, a common affliction.
Old May 20 2008, 05:54 PM   #13
garamet
Writer

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Is that written down somewhere? "Celebrities are not entitled to opinions unless I agree with them." It's invoked frequently, so I figure it must be in a list of regulations somewhere.

- Isaac Asimov (Newsweek, 1980)

Old May 20 2008, 07:55 PM   #14
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

garamet wrote: View Post
Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Is that written down somewhere? "Celebrities are not entitled to opinions unless I agree with them." It's invoked frequently, so I figure it must be in a list of regulations somewhere.
I think it's more akin to, "Why are they paying so much attention to that guy's opinion (which I disagree with), when they aren't paying any attention to mine."
Old May 20 2008, 08:36 PM   #15
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Oh heck, why mind Takei talking? He's one of the nicest and friendliest of the Star Trek actors.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.