RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,701
Members: 24,210
Currently online: 736
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old May 18 2008, 04:38 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Meaney In 'Life On Mars'

Colm Meaney (Miles O'Brien) will be appearing as Gene Hunt in a 1970s-era cop show.

As reported by TV Scoop, Meaney will be playing a 1970s-era cop who works with a twenty-first century man who has been transplanted back to 1972. "You're dealing with the attitudes and ideas of LA in the seventies," said Meaney in an interview with Rotten Tomatoes.

Meaney says that being on the set makes one feel like one is in the 1970s. "It's really funny to walk onto a set that's supposed to be 1972, because I remember 1972," he said. "And it really feels like you're going back to the thirties or something because you take for granted how far we've come technologically. You don't think about it, because I guess it happens gradually, but there's a line in the script where Jason [O'Mara] says something about DNA and I think he's talking about washing-up liquid."

A trailer for Life on Mars can be seen here. The show will possibly be airing on Thursday nights in the fall.

Meaney will also be participating in Ironclad, a movie set in thirteenth century England. It is the story of a small band of knights who defended Rochester Castle against the tyrannical King John. Other signed to be in the movie are Richard Attenborough, Pete Postlethwaite and Angus Macfayden.

To read more, head to the articles located here, here, here and here.

Old May 18 2008, 09:24 AM   #2
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

Re: Meaney In 'Life On Mars'

I hope we get to see this in the UK. It looks really good. I want to see it to seehow it differs from the UK version and because I want to see it just to watch the show! I'm pleased that Colm's got another gig, too.

Old May 18 2008, 09:32 AM   #3
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

Oh. God.

I was looking forward to this until I saw the trailer. It looks terrible. And Phil Glenister > Colm Meaney.
Old May 18 2008, 09:36 AM   #4
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

There's no denying that Glennister is the Gene Genie. Still, I still want to see it.

Old May 18 2008, 09:45 AM   #5
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Actually, after writing this article, I'm now interested in seeing the cop show. It sounds interesting and a bit different.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
Old May 18 2008, 09:59 AM   #6
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
Actually, after writing this article, I'm now interested in seeing the cop show. It sounds interesting and a bit different.
Life on Mars was far more than just a cop show. The US version looks shit but I'd recommend the original to anyone.
Old May 18 2008, 02:12 PM   #7
MadBaggins
Captain

My English friends want to kill Meaney for ruining their favorite show.
Old May 18 2008, 03:04 PM   #8
Pingfah
Admiral

I kept expecting Ben Stiller to leap on screen as I was watching that.

They seem to have gone rather more campy slapstick than the original, I'm hoping it was just the tone of the trailer.

- Richard "Richie" Richard
Old May 18 2008, 03:54 PM   #9
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

WillsBabe wrote: View Post
I hope we get to see this in the UK. It looks really good. I want to see it to seehow it differs from the UK version and because I want to see it just to watch the show! I'm pleased that Colm's got another gig, too.
I have a feeling that will be screened here on one of the commerical networks, but I loved the original. Hopefully the American audiences will get to see it also.
Old May 18 2008, 04:17 PM   #10
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Never having seen the original, I think the trailer looks at least a bit interesting. I might check it out.

That said, I don't really understand the whole "American version" thing. If it's good enough for the Brits.....
Old May 18 2008, 05:05 PM   #11
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

I love how they feel the need to explain the metaphor in the title. Y'know, just in case someone in Alabama thinks it's a show about a Martian colony.
Old May 18 2008, 05:55 PM   #12
Pioneer
Captain

I'm glad Colm Meany got another gig but I have no interest in the show.
Oh, and God bless all the Irish!
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old May 20 2008, 03:48 PM   #13
Plainsong
Lieutenant Commander

First Spaced, Top Gear, and now Life on Mars, WTF - can't America come up with its own shows?

Anyone remember how they f'd up Men Behaving Badly and Cracker? Even the US The Office sucked until they finally got into their own scripts. Don't even get me started on the US version of Coupling.

Why not just watch the original version, can Americans not understand English or something?
Old May 21 2008, 02:57 AM   #14
cubbie
Vice Admiral

I've seen the UK LOM, and the US version according to the trailer looks exciting.
Old May 21 2008, 09:13 AM   #15
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

cubbie wrote: View Post
I've seen the UK LOM, and the US version according to the trailer looks exciting.
You've got to be kidding. It was like a trailer for a damn sitcom. Was anyone else expecting the cheesy voiceover to say "He finds himself in 1972 - WITH HILARIOUS CONSEQUENCES!"

I'm hoping the show is nothing like the abomination implied by the trailer.