Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old May 14 2008, 07:39 PM   #931
flandry84
Captain

Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

In my mind,President Bacco resembles Rita Moreno.
flandry84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2008, 08:52 PM   #932
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

flandry84 wrote: View Post
In my mind,President Bacco resembles Rita Moreno.
I think that Dame Judi Dench is the one to play Bacco. Her time as "M" in Bond shows how well she could play the role.

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2008, 10:11 PM   #933
JD
Admiral

FYI, Stephanie Jacobson is going to be costarring with Colm Meany in the American version of Life on Mars.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2008, 05:03 AM   #934
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

JD wrote: View Post
FYI, Stephanie Jacobson is going to be costarring with Colm Meany in the American version of Life on Mars.
Ironic. A supposedly American show, yet so few of the cast appear to actually *be* Americans.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2008, 06:00 AM   #935
fleetcaptain
Fleet Captain

View fleetcaptain's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to fleetcaptain Send a message via Yahoo to fleetcaptain

I didn't know that. Sounds interesting. Hope it stays on the air unlike some shows lately.
fleetcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2008, 06:45 PM   #936
JD
Admiral

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
Ironic. A supposedly American show, yet so few of the cast appear to actually *be* Americans.
I didn't even notice that before. I just hope it's good, because I've always liked Colm Meany, and Stephanie Chaves-Jacobson (as she's credited in LoM) was pretty cool in BSG: Razor.
Old May 15 2008, 07:04 PM   #937
Christopher
Writer

^^Isn't that how she was credited in Razor too?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2008, 07:14 PM   #938
JD
Admiral

I actually just checked the box for it earlier this morning, and she was credited as Stephanie Jacobson in Razor.
Old May 15 2008, 07:31 PM   #939
Sci
Admiral

I don't know why they don't just import the original British version of the show.
Old May 15 2008, 08:05 PM   #940
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

Sci wrote: View Post
I don't know why they don't just import the original British version of the show.
Actually, this is one of very few cases where I think there's a legitimate case for making an American remake of a British show (unlike, say, the attempt at an American 'Red Dwarf'). This show is essentially about the culture shock between time periods, and since American and Britain had/have different cultures (particularly in the Los Angeles region, which is where the new show will be set), the American version--if done well--won't just be a retread but should have all new vistas to explore usign the same premise. What I don't get is why the American show is sticking with the early seventies timeframe as the British counterpart - it seems to me that placing it in the mid-sixties, contemporaneous with the civil rights and counterculture movements, would have a lot more dramatic potential.

As for the actors - they actually tried to get the British leads to come over and do the American version of the show, but they were busy with other projects. So the original idea called for an even more international cast.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old May 15 2008, 08:17 PM   #941
captcalhoun
Admiral

i thought the US version of LoM was set in New York...

there's a Spanish version being made as well...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2008, 08:36 PM   #942
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
i thought the US version of LoM was set in New York...
I'm going by what's available about the show at Wikipedia. It's possible the information there is wrong (but for this kind of show, I'd prefer an LA setting to a New York one).

there's a Spanish version being made as well...
Ah, now the late seventies were a very interesting period in Spanish history. I think this demonstrates the strength of the premise, in that you can potentially make shows tackling very different issues based off the same basic plot.

Old May 15 2008, 08:38 PM   #943
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

Trent Roman wrote: View Post
Actually, this is one of very few cases where I think there's a legitimate case for making an American remake of a British show (unlike, say, the attempt at an American 'Red Dwarf'). This show is essentially about the culture shock between time periods, and since American and Britain had/have different cultures (particularly in the Los Angeles region, which is where the new show will be set), the American version--if done well--won't just be a retread but should have all new vistas to explore usign the same premise.
As captcalhoun said, it's being set in New York, not Los Angeles. Also: the British show took place in Manchester, and I honestly believe that most Americans would have difficulty penetrating the accents.

What I don't get is why the American show is sticking with the early seventies timeframe as the British counterpart - it seems to me that placing it in the mid-sixties, contemporaneous with the civil rights and counterculture movements, would have a lot more dramatic potential.
Not if it's set in New York. If you're setting it in L.A. or D.C. or Baltimore or anywhere in the South, then yeah, the 1960s makes more sense, but if you're doing New York, the 1970s are way more rife for storytelling. The city was a completely different place 35 years ago.

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2008, 09:40 PM   #944
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

KRAD wrote: View Post
As captcalhoun said, it's being set in New York, not Los Angeles. Also: the British show took place in Manchester, and I honestly believe that most Americans would have difficulty penetrating the accents.
Well, I'll trust that the two of you are better informed (although if true, I suppose we ought to change the wiki entry), and I'll trust that you're right about New York in the seventies since I know little of the history of the city. As for the accents: I've watched a few episodes on Showcase, and I was able to understand (though, admitedly, not without effort, which might turn off viewers). I thought it was sort-of similar to Dave Lister's accent.

Old May 16 2008, 03:27 AM   #945
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Defcon wrote: View Post

With a full beard :

If Red Green were in Starfleet...

Sci wrote: View Post
It used to be shown on BBC America (don't know if it still is). Unfortunately, I don't get that channel, nor do they sell DVDs of the show over here.

The closest we can get are the first season sets of The Bill and The Sweeney.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote