A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old May 14 2008, 04:36 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

British Judicial Robes In A 'Star Trek' Makeover

Jumping from the 18th to the 21st century, Britain's top judges will lose the horsehair wigs and old robes in a fashion makeover.

As reported by the Daily Mail, the new robes will be worn by Court of Appeal and High Court judges and are part of changes announced last year which include ending the custom of wearing wigs, wing collars and bands by judges when sitting in civil and family proceedings.

The last time a Star Trek-type costume was seen in court was when a juror appeared in an American court dressed up in a Next Generation costume as reported here. She was dismissed from the jury for granting an interview to the media regarding her unusual attire.

Unlike Captain Picard's Next Generation outfit though, these robes come equipped with pockets. "It is much easier to wear and has things like pockets which the old ones did not have," said a spokesman for the Judicial Communications Office. It is the result of considerable consultation and a sensible way forward."

Not everyone was thrilled with the fashion change. "Look at this poor man: instead of appearing imperious, the lord chief justice, Lord Phillips, now just looks like the man who sells you tickets for the Star Trek Experience at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas," said the Guardian's deputy fashion editor Hadley Freeman as reported at France 24.

To read more, head to the articles located here and here.

Old May 14 2008, 04:42 AM   #2
Tralah
Wasting Time Until May 2009

Re: British Judicial Robes In A 'Star Trek' Makeover

Eh, I don't think they look THAT much like Starfleet uniforms. If they ditched that red material I doubt anyone would have come to that conclusion.
Old May 14 2008, 05:52 AM   #3
Augustus
Fleet Captain

I agree
Old May 14 2008, 05:58 AM   #4
nx1701g
Admiral

I was hoping for the Q Judge's Robes.
Old May 14 2008, 07:29 AM   #5
Biggshow
Fleet Captain

TrekToday wrote: View Post
Not everyone was thrilled with the fashion change. "Look at this poor man: instead of appearing imperious, the lord chief justice, Lord Phillips, now just looks like the man who sells you tickets for the Star Trek Experience at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas," said the Guardian's deputy fashion editor <font color=yellow>Hadley Freeman</font> as reported at <A class="link" HREF="http://www.france24.com">France 24</A>. <p>To read more, head to the articles located <A class="link" HREF="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=565992&in_page_id=1770">he re</A> and <A class="link" HREF="http://www.france24.com/en/20080513-beam-me-mlud-judges-get-star-trek-outfits">here</A>.<center></center>
Of course, The Experience is at the Las Vegas Hilton and our ("our"; like I still work there) ticket takers would love to have something this stylish.

Yeah, get rid of the red and no-one would notice.
Old May 14 2008, 09:51 AM   #6
Akiraprise

Tralah wrote: View Post
Eh, I don't think they look THAT much like Starfleet uniforms. If they ditched that red material I doubt anyone would have come to that conclusion.
Yeah, pretty much my thoughts.

They should have just put the judges in Capt Picard's white dress waiter uniform. Really give the people something to bitch about.
Satan Alien: "You're in a dangerous profession Captain. You face death everyday. There will be another time, and I'll be waiting. Eventually you're coming to my matrix and you will nourish me for a long long time."
Janeway: "Go back to Hell. Coward."
Old May 14 2008, 01:02 PM   #7
cubbie
Vice Admiral

Old May 14 2008, 01:56 PM   #8
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

It doesn't look like a Star Trek uniform.
Old May 14 2008, 02:11 PM   #9
Pioneer
Captain

I don't see any similarity to any of the Star Trek uniforms. They should lose the red stripes, though.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old May 14 2008, 02:33 PM   #10
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

It's the collar. Otherwise, I just don't see it.
Old May 14 2008, 02:50 PM   #11
Kirks_Flying_Wig
Commander

Urgh. Pathetic Daily Mail drivel about them "throwing away" 300 years of tradition. Only 18 months ago they were crying and bawling about "ridiculous looking" judges' robes costing the taxpayer £500,000 a time. Wigs have been in and out of fashion for hundreds of years; in ten years time a new wig design will be unveiled. I await the headline on the Mail's front page in May 2018 that will say something along the lines of "Absurd Wigs to be Introduced into Civil Courts at a Cost of £100bn!!!"

Back on topic, they look nothing remotely like Star Trek costumes. Apart from the red. They should have based the look on the DOOP skirts from Futurama; Lord Hoffman in white go-go boots. Phwoar.
Old May 14 2008, 02:52 PM   #12
Outpost4
Vice Admiral

It needs pips. Then it would be good.
Old May 14 2008, 08:52 PM   #13
Nebusj
Rear Admiral

View Nebusj's Twitter Profile

Kirks_Flying_Wig wrote: View Post
Back on topic, they look nothing remotely like Star Trek costumes. Apart from the red. They should have based the look on the DOOP skirts from Futurama; Lord Hoffman in white go-go boots. Phwoar.
No, no, this is some Trek costume, just not Star Fleet uniforms. I was thinking something kind of Eminiar-y, but that's not right either. Maybe one of those planets of obnoxious genetically engineered super-boring people that Next Generation visited now and then?
Old May 14 2008, 09:15 PM   #14
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

American judge robes manage to look traditional without looking dated (mostly because there's no wigs). The new robe ideas look fine, they should just ditch the coloring.
Old May 14 2008, 09:18 PM   #15
anais
Captain

Lord Phillips has a distinguished frown. Suits the gown.