RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 511
Newest member: ragster

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old May 2 2008, 08:59 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

The Price

Plot Summary: The Enterprise is chosen to host a group of negotiators bidding for the rights to the Barzan wormhole - the only known stable shortcut across the galaxy. While the Ferengi team incapacitates the Federation delegate, Troi carries on a romance with the Chrysalian negotiator, Devinoni Ral, who is working behind the scenes to convince various other bidders to drop out of the competition. Having chosen Riker to bid for the Federation, Picard then agrees that his crew should explore the wormhole before committing to a bid. LaForge and Data take a shuttlecraft through, followed by the Ferengi, who are convinced that the Federation will try to trick them. The other side of the wormhole is reportedly in the Gamma Quadrant, but LaForge and Data conclude that it is not stable on that end and has apparently jumped to the Delta Quadrant. The Ferengi refuse to accept these findings, however. Meanwhile, Troi learns that Ral is part Betazoid like herself and has been manipulating his competitors, including Riker, by pressuring them during the bidding, using his empathic powers to determine their weaknesses. Ral and the remaining Ferengi put on a show for the Barzan, using Ferengi threats to convince the Barzan to sell the wormhole rights to the neutral Chrysalians who are willing to offer convoy services to the Ferengi in the interests of peace. Troi denounces Ral, yet the Barzan and Chrysalians are already committed to an agreement by the time LaForge and Data return to explain that the wormhole is not stable after all. The Ferengi explorers have become trapped in the Delta Quadrant. Troi declines when Ral asks her to come work with him.

To read the full reviews, please click here.

Old May 3 2008, 12:21 PM   #2
Pioneer
Captain

Re: The Price

This is one of the better episodes. It is not too far fetched to think that Troi could fall deeply in lust (not love) with some guy she perceives to be exactly her type. After all, Ral looks a bit like her dad. Riker's rebuff of Ral is priceless. The idea of Troi becoming the replacement negotiator instead of Riker is an interesting one.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old May 3 2008, 02:02 PM   #3
The Laughing Vulcan
Admiral

Oily Troi! Yuk!

Anime @ MyReviewer
Old May 3 2008, 06:47 PM   #4
DorkBoy [TM]
Captain

Interesting review.

I don't dislike this one as much as I used to, but it has some really cheesy yet disturbing parts to it. The Troi and Ral parts are painful to watch.

Seems like even after TNG "got good," the Troi episodes were still usually bad.

The idea of the wormhole was pretty great though. An intriguing enough episode that you could build a whole spinoff series around it. If only someone could find a wormhole that is stable...
Old May 3 2008, 08:56 PM   #5
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

For once, I'll agree with MEG - this episode is simply awful, and Troi comes off looking like a complete twit.
Old May 3 2008, 11:01 PM   #6
Mod_Mongerer
Cadet

I Could Be Wrong, but...

The reviewer stated that the Ferengi made it home in the Voyager sequel to this episode...but didn't the Ferengi who were stranded in the Deltra Quadrant in this episode actually not make it home in the Voyager episode? I seem to remember the Ferengi entering the wormhole back to the Alpha Quadrant as it was in flux, and then Tuvok or Kim reporting something about both sides of the wormhole being unstable and constantly changing their positions, so the Ferengi in theory most likely did not end up going home...they may have even been stranded inside the wormhole itself. This is just how I remembered it.

I certainly mean no disrespect to the reviewer whatsoever. As a matter of fact I have enjoyed reading her reviews of various 'Trek series for years now. I'm just a perfectionist (and probably just a pain in the "you know what" too.).
Old May 4 2008, 02:14 PM   #7
Pioneer
Captain

The Laughing Vulcan wrote: View Post
Oily Troi! Yuk!
DorkBoy [TM] wrote: View Post
Interesting review.

I don't dislike this one as much as I used to, but it has some really cheesy yet disturbing parts to it. The Troi and Ral parts are painful to watch.

Seems like even after TNG "got good," the Troi episodes were still usually bad.

The idea of the wormhole was pretty great though. An intriguing enough episode that you could build a whole spinoff series around it. If only someone could find a wormhole that is stable...
Turbo wrote: View Post
For once, I'll agree with MEG - this episode is simply awful, and Troi comes off looking like a complete twit.
Y'all need to cut Troi a little slack. She's usually all work and no play. And remember, there's only so much they can portray in mainstream TV so the effect can come across as a bit cheesy. If there were no TV censorship, they could have made Troi's (I hesitate to use the word) relationship with Ral more adult.

And yes, Troi was oily (Yum! ) but Ral was slimy.
Oh yes, opinions among people sure do vary. That's why they have horse races. I've said it before and I'll say it again: De gustibus non dispundem est. Which is Latin for: "In matters of taste there can be no dispute."

By the way, this saying is thousands of years old (obviously) and is as well known as "Veni, Vidi, Vici" amongst those with at least a high school education. Maybe some of you were out the day they taught that. I say all this in response to those who think using a Latin phrase is snooty. It is not. One uses a Latin or Greek phrase to show just how old a seemingly new idea can be.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old May 5 2008, 11:13 AM   #8
Saxman1
Commodore

Turbo wrote: View Post
I agree 100%!
Old May 18 2008, 05:01 AM   #9
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

I remember that before it came out there was quite a bit of hype about a steamy sex scene.It turned out it wasn't steamy or sex at all.
Old May 20 2008, 05:40 AM   #10
Norrin Radd
Vice Admiral

What gets me about this ep is that it took so damn long for Troi to come clean to the Enterprise crew about her new boyfriend's telepathic abilities. I mean, hello...remember your duty as a Starfleet officer? wtf...
Old May 20 2008, 10:14 AM   #11
Lilith
Fleet Captain

Norrin Radd wrote: View Post
What gets me about this ep is that it took so damn long for Troi to come clean to the Enterprise crew about her new boyfriend's telepathic abilities. I mean, hello...remember your duty as a Starfleet officer? wtf...
Not really, she came clean once he overstepped the ethical line. It's hardly her job to scan everyone onboard and tell the others whether they're telepathic or not. Perhaps if Ral was actually able to read thoughts she would've, but he was a weaker empath than her. Besides, there's nothing inherently wrong with having an empathic negotiator, it only becomes a problem when said negotiator plays dirty