IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old April 30 2008, 10:41 PM   #91
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Ole! Ole! Ole! Finally a Chelsea-Liverpool semifinal game that is not mind numblingly dull. What a great OT that was. My heart started skipping when Babel put that 40 yard screamer past Cech. I thought Liverpool was mounting another 5 minute in Istanbul.
"Bennett & Meyer are obviously the Ceti Eels introduced into the collective brain of Trekdom, leading to easy manipulation (TWOK), impaired cognitive functionality (TSFS), drooling (TVH), agonized death (TFF) and extended post-mortem twitching (TUC).
Daedalus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2008, 11:37 PM   #92
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

Chelsea were the better team over the two legs, yet Liverpool still could've snuck in had they not made a few mistakes, namely Hyypia's boneheaded tackle that led to the penalty.

I sincerely hope Man Utd and Chelsea don't cancel each other out in Moscow. Another game like today would be perfect.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2008, 10:10 AM   #93
Jax
Admiral

Avram Grant sadly will think he's good but I've noticed in all his major games that he's won or drawn have been down to luck...

(PL) Arsenal - penatly.

(PL) Man Utd - Penalty

(CL) Liverpool - Own Goal and Penalty.

Chelsea did deserve to go through just over the two legs but Grant is still not good enough for Chelsea but I think they will most likely defeat Man Utd in the final because Utd can't seem to find a way to break Chelsea down.

I hope for a Utd win because I think Scholes deserves it in his career but I think Chelski might sneak it.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2008, 05:31 PM   #94
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

The Flamini to Milan rumour is getting stronger and stronger.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/footba...lia/may1a.html
"Bennett & Meyer are obviously the Ceti Eels introduced into the collective brain of Trekdom, leading to easy manipulation (TWOK), impaired cognitive functionality (TSFS), drooling (TVH), agonized death (TFF) and extended post-mortem twitching (TUC).
Old May 1 2008, 05:50 PM   #95
Servo
Rear Admiral

I think Liverpool would have been harder to beat in a Champions League final than Chelsea will be. I'm pretty confident that United can win it.
Old May 1 2008, 06:16 PM   #96
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

Servo wrote: View Post
I think Liverpool would have been harder to beat in a Champions League final than Chelsea will be. I'm pretty confident that United can win it.
Nah I think currently United has Liverpool's numbers. In the last 8 premier league games against Liverpool United has 7 wins and 1 draw. In fact Liverpool has only scored 1 goal in those 8 games. Against Chelsea however United's record is pretty shoddy only 2 wins, 2 draws but 4 losses while giving up 10 goals.

Just looking at this year United has lost to Chelsea while beaten Liverpool handily twice in the league.
Old May 1 2008, 06:42 PM   #97
Servo
Rear Admiral

In the Premiership yes, but I'm talking about in Europe. In the last few seasons, Liverpool have been a much stronger side in Europe than they have in the PL. For whatever reason that may be, I'm glad we're not facing them in the final. Not that I'm saying Chelsea will be a walkover, but I think playing Liverpool would have been a lot tougher.
Old May 1 2008, 06:57 PM   #98
Hermiod
Admiral

^I don't think Liverpool can beat Manchester United right now, regardless of the competition. I just think Man U have their number.

Chelsea on the other hand are a problem. As much as I hate to admit it, nobody knows how to deal with Ronaldo better than C**t Hole Cole.

I don't believe this - Zenit St. Petersburg are beating Bayern Munich, who I had down as absolute 100% nailed on favourites to win the UEFA Cup, 4-0.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2008, 06:59 PM   #99
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

^^ Have to agree, Liverpool in Europe are a different prospect to what they are in the Premier League. That being said, I still think that it'll be Chelsea who will give United the harder game.

Over the two legs, I didn't think that there was much in it. It could have gone either way to be honest. Liverpool looked the better, and most likely team once they'd equalised. As the commentator said, the best thing to happen for Chelsea was the final whistle. They were a different team again when they went into extra time, albeit they were helped considerably by Liverpool.

Re: Grant, it'll be interesting to see what Abramovich does if Chelsea win the Champions League. Would he really sack someone for winning the European Cup? I'm not entirely sure who they'd replace him with anyway. Hiddink has stated his reluctance to return to club football. Klinsmann perhaps? Would he move from the States? Would they go for Rijkaard who's more than likely out of a job in the summer? Could it even be Sven?

Re: Flamini, just the type of player that Milan need really.

I don't believe this - Zenit St. Petersburg are beating Bayern Munich, who I had down as absolute 100% nailed on favourites to win the UEFA Cup, 4-0.
Surprising, and funny at the same time!
Old May 1 2008, 07:06 PM   #100
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
Surprising, and funny at the same time!
Very funny, I enjoy watching that game immensely.
Old May 1 2008, 07:08 PM   #101
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

In the Premiership yes, but I'm talking about in Europe. In the last few seasons, Liverpool have been a much stronger side in Europe than they have in the PL. For whatever reason that may be, I'm glad we're not facing them in the final. Not that I'm saying Chelsea will be a walkover, but I think playing Liverpool would have been a lot tougher.
I don't think it matters. Like I said you guys have their numbers. United has that edge over Liverpool and it's not going to change whether the game is in England or Russia. If I am a betting man I would bet that SAF would rather face Liverpool in the final than Chelsea. I think this is the opinion of most United fans as well. This Chelsea team is like a bogeyman for you guys. Sure you beat them 2-0 earlier when the Renties just lost their manager and was in disarray but in the last few years I can't remember any other game in which you guys looked convincing against them be it a FA Cup game or Premier league match.
Old May 1 2008, 09:21 PM   #102
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

Daedalus12 wrote: View Post
The Flamini to Milan rumour is getting stronger and stronger.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/footba...lia/may1a.html
Most Arsenal fans believe that Flamini has never forgiven Arsene for replacing him with Ashley Cole in the Champion's League final, so the loyalty over money aspect just isn't there. For those who don't remember, two years ago Flamini, a central midfielder, was deputized out of position as left back in Cole's absence and played excellently, including the famous win over Real Madrid at the Bernabéu. Ironically, Arsenal didn't tie him to a contract last season - before he came into this blistering form - because no one could have guessed what an instrumental player he would be.

Player for player and the way Chelsea are peaking in form at just the right time, I can't imagine Sir Red Nose wouldn't have rather faced Liverpool. I couldn't begin to tell you who is going to win this one. If forced to guess, I'll have to say Chelsea.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2008, 09:34 PM   #103
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

FT Fiorentina 0 Carlos Cuellar 0

Extra-time ahoy!

EDIT:

FT ET 0-0

Heroes and villains all-round. Credit to Mutu and Gobbi for staying on their feet when they could easily have gone down for credible penalty appeals. Credit too for Carlos Cueller, arguably the best performance on the pitch.

Needing a boot up the arse - Ulfalusi, what a fanny, is he even capable of staying on his feet if there's anyone within a 5 yard radius of him? Joining him, both Cousin and Liverani. Granted, Cousin was a complete moron to fall into the trap of putting his head where he shouldn't, but did I miss the sniper in the crowd who seemingly shot Liverani. Given the minimal contact that's the only reason I can think of as to why he'd go down like he'd just taken a round to the head.

Hard to believe that Rangers have held out all night. Fiorentina the far better team, but just unable to find the goal.

I'm going with the Italians on penalties. Frey's a better keeper than Alexander and they have better penalty takers.

EDIT:

Rangers win on penalties. Delighted to be proven wrong. Even more delighted to see Liverani miss. Shame.

Unlucky for Fiorentina, clearly the better side, but Rangers, and their fans won't give a fcuk about that.

Last edited by Angel4576; May 1 2008 at 10:22 PM.
Angel4576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2008, 10:59 PM   #104
Jax
Admiral

I got home from 5 a side (which we won ) to see the last bit of the 2nd half and EXTRA TIME/Pens...

so glad Rangers won and I think with the final in ENGLAND, we will see British glory in both EUROPEAN cups.

Long may Britain rule
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2008, 11:10 PM   #105
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

Vieri missed a pen? That fucking wanker. Why couldn't he missed the goal he scored last week against Samp.