New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old April 22 2008, 11:14 PM   #151
JD
Admiral

Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

As shocking as that would be I really doubt TBP would actually let this happen.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2008, 11:46 PM   #152
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
I really hope this is only a rumor. You can't blow up the Earth
Just tow Miri's Planet into the old position...
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2008, 12:16 AM   #153
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

Or pull Slartibartfast out of retirement...
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2008, 12:30 AM   #154
Christopher
Writer

Chia Earth!

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2008, 01:27 AM   #155
Ktrek
Captain

It is amazing that Pocket and even David would let these WILD speculations go on unchallenged. Why can't everyone wait until the first book is released? I'm sure it will be well worth the wait and then everyone will feel like a low life because they totally missed the boat. Let David have some peace will you so he can finish the series without all this broo ha ha. (forgive me if broo ha ha is not spelled right.)?

Kevin
Old April 23 2008, 01:31 AM   #156
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

^What's so wrong with people speculating about the events of Destiny? That maybe they'll be wrong? So what? It's part of the fun of anticipating a major new release that promises to shake things up a bit. I'm sure David Mack isn't going to lose sleep because people are looking forward to his books and wondering what might happen in them.
Old April 23 2008, 01:31 AM   #157
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Just tow Miri's Planet into the old position...
The smartest minds in the Starfleet Corps of Engineers would be in on that.

Plus Tev, of course.
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2008, 02:27 AM   #158
Christopher
Writer

Ktrek wrote: View Post
It is amazing that Pocket and even David would let these WILD speculations go on unchallenged.
Why bother to challenge them? The more rampant and misguided speculation there is in advance, the more surprised people will be when they actually read it. Besides, it's fun to see the bizarre speculations people come up with, and the totally unexpected things they read into the minimal info they have.

Let David have some peace will you so he can finish the series without all this broo ha ha. (forgive me if broo ha ha is not spelled right.)?
Brouhaha. And as it happens, Dave has already finished the trilogy (at least until the revision phase begins) and is now on a richly deserved vacation.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2008, 03:14 AM   #159
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Ktrek wrote: View Post
It is amazing that Pocket and even David would let these WILD speculations go on unchallenged.
While you're at it, go over to to the "Star Trek XI" board and tell them they should stop speculating wildly on that until May 2009.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2008, 05:10 AM   #160
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Don't any of you writers take this personally, but if you blow up the Earth, I will be *more* upset, *more* pissed, than when I saw the second part of "The Second Renaissance" * (from Animatrix). And *that* time, I got so freaked out that I went and got my existing Matrix DVD and ripped it to shreds.

If the Earth is destroyed (which is about the most un-Trek thing you could possibly do ), who knows what I might do?

* Specifically, it was the scene where the machines have won the war, and are proceeding to lay the smackdown on the surviving human troops, who are seen being yanked out of their APCs, ripped bodily to pieces, experimented on, etc. You can see why I might get just a tad upset at that. And blowing up the Earth would be a lot worse than this, IMHO.
Old April 23 2008, 05:12 AM   #161
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Overreact to a unsatisfying leisure item, apparently.
Old April 23 2008, 05:12 AM   #162
BlazerBoy
Dangerously Sexy

Send a message via ICQ to BlazerBoy Send a message via AIM to BlazerBoy Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BlazerBoy Send a message via Yahoo to BlazerBoy

I've advocated blowing the damned planet up a few times myself. As it is, Starfleet is a human-biased, earth prejudiced organization as it is. How better to teach those arrogant terrans a lesson than to destroy their precious planet, and who better to do it than their tiresome foes, the dreaded Borg!
Old April 23 2008, 05:17 AM   #163
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
And even within a single publisher, there's no strict requirement that separate works must be in continuity with each other. For instance, the Crucible trilogy and the Shatnerverse books both have continuity differences from the majority of books published these days. Consistency with onscreen Trek is a requirement for all tie-ins, but consistency with other tie-ins is merely an option.
Destroying the Earth is a plot point that deserves to have other novels be deliberately INconsistent with.

Am I overreacting? Hell yeah - it's what I do best! Why shouldn't I?
Old April 23 2008, 05:25 AM   #164
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
Don't any of you writers take this personally, but if you blow up the Earth, I will be *more* upset, *more* pissed, than when I saw the second part of "The Second Renaissance" * (from Animatrix). And *that* time, I got so freaked out that I went and got my existing Matrix DVD and ripped it to shreds.

If the Earth is destroyed (which is about the most un-Trek thing you could possibly do ), who knows what I might do?
Whatever it is, hopefully you won't do it to Poor Dominatrix Admiral Nechayev....

* Specifically, it was the scene where the machines have won the war, and are proceeding to lay the smackdown on the surviving human troops, who are seen being yanked out of their APCs, ripped bodily to pieces, experimented on, etc. You can see why I might get just a tad upset at that. And blowing up the Earth would be a lot worse than this, IMHO.
No kidding. Can you imagine what would happen if they'd killed off Optimus Prime?

I haven't read any of the trek books in ages. Mostly because I've spent most of the past two years broke trying to get my own career launched, but also because I find my interest waning. I certainly mean no disrespect to the current crop of writers -- I've met several of you and what little I do know about the books sounds interesting, but for me the glory days of the early 1990s were my favorite.

However, I would like to get back in to the books. I think the last ones I read were the two Khan books Greg Cox wrote. I was also very interested in Crucible, but there's just so much now that its hard to keep track. And, honestly, I don't know if its futile or not but it will be hard to top my favorite Trek novel -- Q-In-Law -- so I'm a bit hesitant.

That said, I hope the "leaked" plot points for this will prove to be inaccurate.
Old April 23 2008, 05:31 AM   #165
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Mutarada wrote: View Post
No kidding. Can you imagine what would happen if they'd killed off Optimus Prime?
Ah, but they brought him back.