Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old August 29 2007, 03:16 AM   #16
Redfern
Commodore

Re: The "Bride" of the "M'Ress Appreciation Thread"

Is there a Caitian / Kzinti connection? Or are they just two completely different species of cat-people with no relation?

I don't know. Do you want a link to exist? I'm not typing that just to be flippant. Every Trek fan has his own ideas about that kind of thing. I remember some publications suggested they splintered from a common ancestor, others implied coincidental, parallel evolution. I suspect Larry Niven would like to keep them separate if only to avoid legal issues. But go with what you personally like.

What about that silly three-breasted cat creature in TFF?

From a totally personal and admittedly biased standpoint, silly is the operative word. I see her and all I can think about is the Mars colony hooker from "Total Recall". Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the same make-up artist involved with both productions? I just don't see her as a Caitian, felinoid, yeah, but not a Caitian. The only fur she had was upon her scalp and tail. She had plantigrade feet. But if you see her as one, fine, doesn't bother me. Maybe she's yet another one of these cross-species offsprings that are never adequately explained in Trek. Or maybe she's the infamous Eccentrica Gallumbits, the triple-breasted wh*re of Eroticon 6 repeatedly mentioned in Douglas Adams' "Hitchhikers' Guide".

Wasn't there also a cat-person in ST IV?

Yes, actually two. They both appeared at Kirk's "trial". They appeared to have been cast from the same molds, but they had different hair applied. One had longer reddish fur with bobcat type cheek "tufts", while the other had short, black hair, suggesting more of a black leopard motif. Since we didn't see their feet, we can imagine they may have possessed digitigrade paws.

I'm curious about all types of Trek cat people.

One of the earlier Pocket Books novels, "Uhura's Song" featured two feline species with a common history. Uhura realized there was a connection when she observed both strains had prehensile tails, rather like monkeys. Vonda McIntyre introduced her own feline species in the first publish Pocket Books Trek novel, "The Entropy Effect". Lt. "Snarl" (a nickname never mentioned within her range of hearing) had spots like a leopard and ruby colored fangs. She also tended to go on all fours when flat out running. She served on security detail and few were foolish enough to try fighting her.

M'Ress's hands in the first (and perhaps the last) pictures in this thread (so far) look the most believably cat-like. The human-like hands in the others don't really work for me, especially in contrast to her feline feet.

Well, graphite drawings naturally allows one greater control of the details. The figure in the 3D renderings is derived from an Anime/Manga inspired mesh called Aiko 3, available at the www.daz3d.com on-line store. A third-party vendor created an "add-on" package that reshapes the geometry of the shins, feet and toes to create an anthropomorphic styled character. The vendor did not provide any features that would morph Aiko's delicate human fingers into thicker, stubbier paw-like digits. I freely admit I am not an organic modeler. I had to make do with what I had.

I'd also like to see more of her tail (that sounded wrong -- or did it? ) I'm curious to see how the feline tail joins the more human-looking derriere.

In short, it doesn't. The tail is a separate "conforming figure" that is "parented" to the hip region. If I were to depict a scene with M'Ress "in the fur" using the 3D model, I'd have to "cheat" by using "post-work" to blend the tail with the hip. Wearing her uniform, the tail simply extends below her skirt. The Bros. Grinn of the web-comic "SuperMegatopia" did realize an occupational hazard for M'ress while wearing the "classic" mini-skirt uniform. What happens should the poor kit' raise her tail? This:

http://www.supermegatopia.com/galler...=skirttail.jpg

Oops!

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2007, 05:35 AM   #17
uss_griffin
Lieutenant Commander

Redfern said:
The Bros. Grinn of the web-comic "SuperMegatopia" did realize an occupational hazard for M'ress while wearing the "classic" mini-skirt uniform. What happens should the poor kit' raise her tail? This:

http://www.supermegatopia.com/galler...=skirttail.jpg

Oops!
LMTO!
uss_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2007, 04:25 PM   #18
Redfern
Commodore

Another saucy entry from superMegatopia's Bros. Grinn. Just how hot is M'Ress? Let's find out.

http://www.supermegatopia.com/galler...Link=arena.jpg

Hmm, a philosophy few sane men would debate. :thumbsup:

Sincerely,

Bill

Old September 4 2007, 05:37 PM   #19
Q2UnME
Commodore

^^ Uhm, Bill ....

That boy ain't right..

Q2UnME

Whiskey - Tango - Foxtrot
Q2UnME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2007, 05:53 PM   #20
Redfern
Commodore

I can just hear that in a "Hank Hill" ("King of the Hill", animated series) voice. Trust me, that is tame for SuperMegatopia. If one is easily embarrassed, much of the Bros. Grinn's material will make your toes curl.

But the Gorn's observation has become something of a meme in some cirlces.

Sincerely,

Bill

Old September 5 2007, 02:39 AM   #21
Ptrope
Agitator

That was pretty good! I think I've seen that one before, Redfern - always fun .
Old September 6 2007, 11:04 PM   #22
Redfern
Commodore

And now, a selection by 3D "content creator", Oshikai.

M'Ress by Oshikai

"But, it's the same as yours, Bill," I suspect some of you are thinking. Well, I shared my "secrets" and the "face pose" with Osh', but he placed his own sultry stamp on the character, tweaking certain elements which I believe makes his version of M'Ress rather more alluring.

Oshikai made a another render of M'Ress sporting a "racing queen" ensemble, a bra top with pleather hot pants, but I thought I'd link his "on duty" version first.

Sincerely,

Bill

Old September 26 2007, 11:49 AM   #23
Redfern
Commodore

Okay, here's a link to Oshikai's second M'Ress portrait.

Race Queen M'Ress by Oshikai

I certainly appreciate the personal submissions both Masao and Ptrope have made, but doesn't anyone else have any selections they'd like to present? I didn't for this thread to serve as a personal showcase. I remember during the 90s, Jerry Collins, an Atlanta based illustrator, made a series of M'Ress drawings in off-duty situations, several of them depicting the Caitian and Uhura just hangin' out. Alas, these "slice of life" illos were usually sold to bidders, so I don't know if he ever made scans for his archives.

Sincerely,

Bill

Old April 19 2008, 06:52 PM   #24
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

sorry to annoy people here but i belive this thread needs a severe *bump* pun not intended
Old April 20 2008, 12:23 AM   #25
Redfern
Commodore

I swear, guys, I didn't bribe Kaiser' to bump this thread, really!
But the gesture is appreciated!

Sincerely,

Bill

Old April 21 2008, 03:56 PM   #26
Q2UnME
Commodore

Man, I had totally forgotten about this thread. It's been a while, but what bothers me more is that I absolutely missed Oshikai's contributions on the first go around. Anyone willing to repost Oshikai's picture from the first link. It seems to be a non-fuction link now. The second picture, with the bikini top and "pleather" mini-shorts...... WOW!

I wouldn't mind seeing a few more, uhm, pictures..... Soley for my study in learing more on CGI 3D artwork.... Yea, that's my story and I'm sticking to it....

Q2UnME

Whiskey - Tango - Foxtrot

Last edited by Q2UnME; April 21 2008 at 06:16 PM.
Q2UnME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2008, 04:40 PM   #27
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

Redfern wrote: View Post
I swear, guys, I didn't bribe Kaiser' to bump this thread, really!
But the gesture is appreciated!

Sincerely,

Bill
and thats the truth i was just bored and figured since we can look now 11 pages into the past i wondered if this thread was still around and thought hmmmm to bump or not to bump.....
Old April 23 2008, 09:42 PM   #28
Starscape
Fleet Captain

Since the thread has been resurrected, I might as well do the same for this pic:

It maybe be new to some people.

That's the way it crumbles... cookie-wise.
Starscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2008, 12:28 AM   #29
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

thats funny and Awsome
Old April 24 2008, 11:28 PM   #30
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Ptrope wrote: View Post
Well, since I was invited (and it's relevant to the last post ) ...

I need to do another angle that shows how cat-like her profile is - at this angle and in this light, she could easily be thought to be little more than makeup (except for those legs, of course ).

Wait 'til I lay her out across the table in the Klingon briefing room I'm working on ...
Shouldn't we see four more "raisins" under that obviously-very-flimsy dress?
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote