MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old April 15 2008, 11:56 PM   #301
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Ratings are in !

The reason for the big drop in 2 and 4 is because sci-fi heavily promoted it and people checked in. However, if you've never seen the show it's tough to get into with either "Scattered" or "He That Believeth in Me."
Old April 16 2008, 08:21 PM   #302
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

More Battlestar Galactica Nielsen Ratings: They Arenít Great http://tvbythenumbers.com/2008/04/15...ent-great/3355
The second episode of season four didnít fare as well as the premiere, which also didnít have great ratings (vs. the whole cable universe, not the SciFi channel, mind you). The second episode lost about 16% of its viewers from the premiere falling to 1.801 million viewers (from 2.138 million for the premiere). I predict it will lose more, perhaps even me for the time being, although Iím sure Iíll go back and binge on them when it winds up completing. Before getting to the spoilers here are the first two episodes ratings in their debut airings. We donít even get the first Friday airings via Nielsen because they donít make the weekly cable top 40. Iíd rate our odds of ever seeing any of the data for the subsequent airings as very, very close to zero..
Old April 17 2008, 03:16 AM   #303
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

TheMasterOfOrion wrote: View Post
More Battlestar Galactica Nielsen Ratings: They Arenít Great http://tvbythenumbers.com/2008/04/15...ent-great/3355
The second episode of season four didnít fare as well as the premiere, which also didnít have great ratings (vs. the whole cable universe, not the SciFi channel, mind you). The second episode lost about 16% of its viewers from the premiere falling to 1.801 million viewers (from 2.138 million for the premiere). I predict it will lose more, perhaps even me for the time being, although Iím sure Iíll go back and binge on them when it winds up completing. Before getting to the spoilers here are the first two episodes ratings in their debut airings. We donít even get the first Friday airings via Nielsen because they donít make the weekly cable top 40. Iíd rate our odds of ever seeing any of the data for the subsequent airings as very, very close to zero..
This makes me feel better, knowing that I'm amongst an increasingly exclusive club of people who "get it."

Old April 17 2008, 03:39 AM   #304
mswood
Rear Admiral

I don't know why people equate ratings with quality. Now you could perhaps make an argument for Ratings and enjoyment. After all we enjoy things that we know are both great to awful for various reasons.

I also have no problem with someone stating that the show is getting cancelled prematurely, because it is. Sure Moore and company have been given the great luxury of enough time to give the show a full season to end things (which is a great gift for a show). But does anyone truly believe that the producers and production company and studio and cable network originally only wanted a four year run?

Does anyone honestly believe that if the show had held on to 75% of its original audience that the show would actually end on its fourth season? I mean seriously, people.

Do I honestly think that the show could have used more time to tell those same stories? Absolutely. I would have loved more time to actually develop (instead of later just showing quick flashbacks) the New Caprica arc. I would have loved more episodes to show changes in the 2nd season instead of us just being told about it.

Am I a fan of the show? Absolutely. Even when I think they take the wrong path.

I also see no problem talking about the ratings of a show that has a set end date. I talked about TNG even knowing two years in advance when the end was. I still talk about Lost knowing when the end is going to be. So why the hell should BSG be any different?
Old April 17 2008, 06:34 AM   #305
Tamek
Admiral

Muad Dib wrote: View Post
I think BSG is the best show currently on TV, and the best sci-fi series ever, and about the only show on Sci-Fi Channel that I watch. It's the only series that I have bought every season released on DVD. I don't own a single season of any Star Trek series, since I refuse to pay Paramount's overinflated premium prices for shows that were already paid for with commercial advertising.
Ditto.

(And T'Bonz better not publish any #*(@&$ screenshots showing me and my temper)
(<3 T'Bonz
Old April 17 2008, 09:47 AM   #306
Archangel

/Thinks it was interesting that when ratings were good it was a sign of how great BSG is...when they are in the toilet...they're meaningless.

Old April 17 2008, 09:59 AM   #307
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

Archangel wrote: View Post
/Thinks it was interesting that when ratings were good it was a sign of how great BSG is...when they are in the toilet...they're meaningless.
To be honest, I always thought they were meaningless. I was happy when they were high because it made the chances of the series getting renewed go up, but I don't honestly think they are an indication of the shows actual quality at all.
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
Old April 17 2008, 02:06 PM   #308
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

Archangel wrote: View Post
I don't think anyone here was using the good ratings of a sign of how good the show was. I certainly can't remember any such statements.

I think what's more important to people is if their favorite show will continue or not. That was important before it was decided this season would be the last. Now that it's clear that it is and it seems like they're really pulling this true, they are, indeed, truly meaningless for people following the show.

I think it's interesting that people who don't like the show keep pulling out the ratings as alleged evidence of a drop in quality.
Old April 17 2008, 03:06 PM   #309
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

People really need to stop taking the bait.
Old April 17 2008, 07:44 PM   #310
Russ
Vice Admiral

View Russ's Twitter Profile

Russ wrote: View Post
Justtoyourleft wrote: View Post
Russ wrote: View Post
The week two drop issue:

Season 1 - 2.6 to 2.3 (-11.5%)
Season 2 - 2.6 to 2.0 (-23.1%)
Season 3 - 1.8 to 1.6 (-11.1%)
Season 4 - 1.6 to 1.3 (-18.8%)
Thanks for those! I remember that the figure for the S2 premier was unusually high and thus the drop was rather steep.
It's interesting that the drop for S1 and 3 was pretty similar. The S4 drop is quite a bit more substantial. It's down to the level of S3 again, pretty much IIRC.
No problem. Here are the season and miniseries averages:

Miniseries - 3.20
Season 1 - 2.37
Season 2 - 1.97
Season 3 - 1.36 (no difference w/wo "Razor" included)
Season 4 - 1.45

Overall (with mini) - 1.87
Overall (witout mini) - 1.81
Just like to point out a small mistake I made. The miniseries averaged a 3.5, not a 3.2 (a 3.2 for part one and a 3.8 for part two).
Old April 17 2008, 09:00 PM   #311
Archangel

Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post
People really need to stop taking the bait.

The bait of course being anything other than blind adoration for the show.

Old April 17 2008, 09:07 PM   #312
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

No, your bait was implying that since the ratings are down, the show obviously sucks. So, it's not the type of show some people watch, big deal. I'm not going to jump the ship and start hating it because the ratings dropped 2 points since the first season. The ratings are in no way indicative of the quality. To me, BSG is high quality. I thought the last two seasons of SG1 were high quality. I enjoyed Enterprise, especially the last two seasons of that. I absolutely adore Jericho. You know what every last one of those shows have in common? Low ratings. If people want to stop watching, let them. It shouldn't have any effect on us, and sure as hell doesn't have any effect on me and my viewing experience.

And, it ain't "blind adoration" for these shows either. I have more than my fair share of pet peeves, but it's good enough that those peeves don't really matter.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama

Last edited by snowman1701; April 17 2008 at 09:22 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old April 17 2008, 09:13 PM   #313
Othello
Commodore

Tamek wrote: View Post
Muad Dib wrote: View Post
I think BSG is the best show currently on TV, and the best sci-fi series ever, and about the only show on Sci-Fi Channel that I watch. It's the only series that I have bought every season released on DVD. I don't own a single season of any Star Trek series, since I refuse to pay Paramount's overinflated premium prices for shows that were already paid for with commercial advertising.
Ditto.

LOL

By all means say the prices for the sets are inflated but the "already paid for with commercial advertising" stuff is a joke. I would never let either of you within 1000 yards of ever running a business I was a ssociated with.
Old April 17 2008, 09:14 PM   #314
RobertScorpio
Pariah

I stopped watching after the PEGASUS two parter..mainly because the show just became a drag...but I did watch the season premier this season, and will continue to watch until the end...but all this religious stuff is becoming too BAB-5/DS9ish....And now we have the ship of lights????Ughhh..what's next? Bionic jumping kids on Earth and Fly cycles???

Rob
Old April 17 2008, 09:24 PM   #315
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

^To be fair, there have been no Ship of Light or anything of that sort yet. Some people have said that they got that vibe from the premier, but all we have for now is Starbuck resurrected in a brand new viper.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama