Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old April 14 2008, 05:52 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Spiner At Grand Slam XVI

Being typecast was as Data was not a problem for Brent Spiner. As reported by Trekmovie.com, Spiner was instead typecast based on his role as the scientist in Independence Day. "People have asked me if I was typecast for playing Data on 'Star Trek', for like 150 years," said Spiner. "And truly I was not, because what other roles are there like that? But I was typecast as the scientist from 'Independence Day'. I am in a movie right now, a really terrible movie, called 'Superhero: The Movie'. The director called me, actually a really brilliant guy, and he called me and told me he had a part...of a scientist. 'How funny you should think of me as a scientist'. I just did a voice-over role in a cartoon film the other day. What is the role? A scientist. Can I tell you, I know nothing about science!"

Spiner also discussed the last Star Trek: The Next Generation film. "I think Nemesis got a bad deal. It’s not great, let's face it. I think it has its good moments and its not-so-good moments. The moment everybody seems to love is when Data gets blown up. To me, that was a no-brainer. This was the last time we were going to do a movie together and so we have to do something big at the end. So, for Data to finish his journey by sacrificing himself, doesn't that seem like the right thing to do?"

When asked if he took anything from the The Next Generation set, Spiner admitted to taking his visor from the All Good Things episode, as well as "wearing home" his First Contact uniform.

To read more, head to the article located here.

Old April 14 2008, 12:06 PM   #2
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

Re: Spiner At Grand Slam XVI

This is why the fans hate NEMESIS. Mr. Spiner cannot "read" his fans. The bulk of us were NOT happy when Data blew up. It was probably one of the top three things that the fans did not like about the movie.
Old April 14 2008, 02:55 PM   #3
Pioneer
Captain

Photoman15 wrote: View Post
This is why the fans hate NEMESIS. Mr. Spiner cannot "read" his fans. The bulk of us were NOT happy when Data blew up. It was probably one of the top three things that the fans did not like about the movie.
EXACTLY! And it was, I believe, Spiner's idea, too. Ass. I'm a big Data fan. Spiner -- not so much.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old April 15 2008, 04:07 PM   #4
Headless_Roland
Ensign

I had less of a problem with Data sacrificing himself than I did with the writers cynically leaving the door open for Data Mk. II in B4. The sacrifice itself was a little contrived, and did seem a little too calculated to mimic the end of of TWoK, but it made enough of an emotional impact that I was willing to go along with it. And then they completely undercut that impact with a few saccharine strains of Irving Berlin. No thanks.
Old April 15 2008, 11:56 PM   #5
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I had less of a problem with Data sacrificing himself than I did with the writers cynically leaving the door open for Data Mk. II in B4.
Oooooh, me too. When I heard "someone" dies in NEM, before the movie even opened, I immediately suspected Data - because he's the cheap cop-out death, the one character who could be resurrected by far the most easily.

And then they trotted out his replacement early in the movie, and I felt like vomiting. Sure enough...

That whole scenario just encapsulated how chickenshit and cynical Berman Trek had gotten. And I love Data! (Look at my frakking avatar!) I couldn't believe they could kill him off in a way that had me feeling nothing but contempt and annoyance.
Old April 15 2008, 11:58 PM   #6
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
I had less of a problem with Data sacrificing himself than I did with the writers cynically leaving the door open for Data Mk. II in B4.
Oooooh, me too. When I heard "someone" dies in NEM, before the movie even opened, I immediately suspected Data - because he's the cheap cop-out death, the one character who could be resurrected by far the most easily.

And then they trotted out his replacement early in the movie, and I felt like vomiting. Sure enough...

That whole scenario just encapsulated how chickenshit and cynical Berman Trek had gotten. And I love Data! (Look at my frakking avatar!) I couldn't believe they could kill him off in a way that had me feeling nothing but contempt and annoyance.
And then they outdid themselves with an even more annoying death for Trip!

And why do I have to quote myself in this stupid forum just to add something to my rant! Bah!