New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Closed Thread

Old April 13 2008, 06:34 AM   #391
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...
Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

I'll be happy just to have examples of the sets and the ship in the same scale.

It'll give me a better idea of where I have to fudge things.
Old April 13 2008, 09:30 AM   #392
Shaw
Commodore

Sorry... I'm facing some work projects which need to take precedent over personal projects, so the notebook may be a little delayed.

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post

I'm not scaling the set plans to a ship (because people disagree on the size of the ship), but I will be displaying cleaned up plans on a 10 foot by 10 foot grid pattern. That should let anyone wanting to scale them to some exterior pretty easily.

Here are a few example thumbnails of pages so far...

I'm including a list of ship locations, Jefferies' plans (if available), Jefferies' sketches (if available), contours of screen caps, and other info shown in my sketches in this thread. They're design to be printed on 11" x 8.5" sheets, I tend to also use the backs of the previous pages for notes and sketches.
Old April 13 2008, 10:12 AM   #393
ST-One
Vice Admiral

Those look very good.
Seems like you are giving the old lady the treatment she deserves.
Old April 13 2008, 02:47 PM   #394
dougkeenan
Commander

View dougkeenan's Twitter Profile

Wow! Fantastic work.
Old April 13 2008, 04:40 PM   #395
peachysjoey
Ensign

Wow, these look great. Will we be getting full size copies of these thumbnailed pages? I sure do hope so.
Old April 13 2008, 08:42 PM   #396
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

Shaw wrote: View Post
Sorry... I'm facing some work projects which need to take precedent over personal projects, so the notebook may be a little delayed.
I like this material. Some years ago I had the urge to map out the Enterprise interior myself, and your approach is somewhat similar to what I had thought of doing.

Cool stuff.
Old April 13 2008, 11:43 PM   #397
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

No doubt these plans will help ginormously.
Old April 14 2008, 11:52 AM   #398
Warped9
Admiral

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post

I'm not scaling the set plans to a ship (because people disagree on the size of the ship), but I will be displaying cleaned up plans on a 10 foot by 10 foot grid pattern. That should let anyone wanting to scale them to some exterior pretty easily.

Here are a few example thumbnails of pages so far...

I'm including a list of ship locations, Jefferies' plans (if available), Jefferies' sketches (if available), contours of screen caps, and other info shown in my sketches in this thread. They're design to be printed on 11" x 8.5" sheets, I tend to also use the backs of the previous pages for notes and sketches.
All I can say is:

Old April 14 2008, 02:36 PM   #399
Philo
Commodore

^ Ditto!
Old April 14 2008, 11:52 PM   #400
Sarvek
Fleet Captain

Totally awesome. It is great to see that a great deal of attention is being given to this project. Great work.
Old April 15 2008, 08:58 AM   #401
Shaw
Commodore

So looking at the reactions here have me wondering if maybe I'm going in the wrong direction. Would you guys actually be happier with something more like a manual (book type of thing) than a handful of sheets? There is tons of information here that might be better addressed in that format than just fitting it all onto a few 24" x 36" sheets.

Thoughts?

I saw in another thread that someone didn't believe that the dorsal had much in the way of room to offer, so I quickly supplemented one of my earlier sketches of the dorsal decks with this idea for an Officer's Club on Deck 9 (to match up with a string of windows on the dorsal)...

And I included an example restaurant which seats quite a few more people in a much smaller footprint as a sort of proof of concept.

Anyways, it is amazing the amount of space in the dorsal that is so often overlooked.
Old April 15 2008, 11:19 AM   #402
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

So looking at the reactions here have me wondering if maybe I'm going in the wrong direction. Would you guys actually be happier with something more like a manual (book type of thing) than a handful of sheets? There is tons of information here that might be better addressed in that format than just fitting it all onto a few 24" x 36" sheets.

Thoughts?
What I like about the booklet idea is that it would better document some of your design process, as well as your actual design. As you know there have been many attempts to map out the Big E, and over time, the reasons behind each attempt's various design choices become lost.

I have a variety of design ideas for my own take at a Big E layout. Whether those ideas ever come to fruition in a tangible form, I would try to document the reasons behind the design, so that years later -- assuming anyone still gives a crap about the designs -- they can get some idea of what craziness I was thinking at the time.

Another thing I like about the booklet idea is that it's unique. To my knowledge, no one else has done anything like this, so by default, your ideas would get a degree of attention that few others would enjoy.
Old April 15 2008, 11:45 AM   #403
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Thoughts?

I saw in another thread that someone didn't believe that the dorsal had much in the way of room to offer, so I quickly supplemented one of my earlier sketches of the dorsal decks with this idea for an Officer's Club on Deck 9 (to match up with a string of windows on the dorsal)...

And I included an example restaurant which seats quite a few more people in a much smaller footprint as a sort of proof of concept.

Anyways, it is amazing the amount of space in the dorsal that is so often overlooked.
My only problem with what you've shown here (which is otherwise quite well-presented) is that I'm absolutely certain that the dorsal would need a LOT of mechanical structure inside of it. It can't just be a "tin can" with all of the internal structure available.

That said... your idea can still work. I just think that you need to add more, and heavier, internal structure there. That, also, from your example can be demonstrated to be worthwhile.

The tables you're using there, also as demonstrated in your example, are actually quite a bit larger than is necessary for the application you're presenting.

Beef up the structure in this area and I'd definitely buy off on your concept.
Old April 15 2008, 11:53 AM   #404
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

Another example you could draw from would be a railroad dining car.
Old April 15 2008, 04:40 PM   #405
aridas sofia
Rear Admiral

I disagree about the need for extensive structure, Cary. This thing can be a semi-monocoque structure, with the main framework lying deep within the saucer and secondary hull. That framework might have little to do with reinforcing the shape against momentum shifts under normal operating conditions. Reinforced hull structures made of exotic materials might do that work, while deep framing might only be there to lend support to the skin under extreme, abnormal stress.

I'd include some minor structure towards that end in the neck, as well as some redundant connections between secondary hull's main fuel sources and primary hull reactors. I'd also suggest a second turboshaft to clear that tight traffic spot between the two hulls. Otherwise, I agree completely with using the remaining neck for FJ-like public spaces. I'd also include VIP quarters (for special environments needs) and even temporary berthing for crew working in the upper secondary hull.
Closed Thread