Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old April 9 2008, 02:41 PM   #31
Starkers
Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

The prospect of a Leeds/Forest play off final puts me in mind of the AVP tagline, whoever wins, we lose!

Actually I'd rather Forest went up because local derbies are always good (and we could use the 6 points)

I think the dislike of Leeds stems somwhat from bad blood between Derby and Leeds who were huge rivals for the title in the early/mid seventies...plus you had the whole Cloughie angle as well.

Having Dennis Wise as manager doesn't inspire people to like you either, although that's out of the way now at least!

Mark, if Forest don't go up I reckon you will have a derby next year because I really can see Leicester going down. Shame for Holloway who seems a top bloke, but I'd love to see them relegated as I hate em (always have ever since the 94 play off final when they beat us)

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2008, 03:23 PM   #32
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

I think the dislike of Leeds stems somwhat from bad blood between Derby and Leeds who were huge rivals for the title in the early/mid seventies...plus you had the whole Cloughie angle as well.

Having Dennis Wise as manager doesn't inspire people to like you either, although that's out of the way now at least!
Well not just with Derby fans (and Man Utd fans at any rate).....but it seems that the whole country hates Leeds and Leeds fans. I'm unlike many Leeds fans in that I actually thought the club were absolutely stupid to sack Clough after 6 weeks. Five Years later he won 2 straight European Cups with Forest. So in retrospect, how much sense did it make? Whoever came after Revie wasn't going to be like Revie, and certainly the old Revie players that came in as managers in the 80's certainly didn't bring success with them.

But anyway, I just hope we have a brighter future.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2008, 03:33 PM   #33
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

My rivalry with Leeds fans stems purely from the fact that we were rivals in the 70s. I don't have anything against Leeds fans per se. I think things have probably been exacerbated in recent years by having Ken Bates and Dennis Wise at the club, and incidents like that at Portman Road last season undoubtedly wouldn't help your cause, but generally speaking, I think the perception of Leeds fans is somewhat wide of the mark these days.

I think, personally, given the choice, I'd rather Forest come up over Leeds, simply because, it's our local derby, and we miss the six points. Going to Elland Road has always been a chore, and last year apart, we never get any joy there!
Old April 9 2008, 11:14 PM   #34
Jax
Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
Mark, if Forest don't go up I reckon you will have a derby next year because I really can see Leicester going down.
To be honest most FOREST fans don't care about Leicester City though they seem to have a local rival with us. They are like the cousin, who no one talks or cares about
Old April 9 2008, 11:24 PM   #35
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
Assuming Man Utd dispatches Roma tomorrow, chances are looking better that an all-English final is on the cards. Personally I'd love to see it; I think it'd be miles better than the all-Italian snorefest of 2003.
If it's Chelsea against Man. Utd then there will be another shit on the stick type game and it'll just as boring as the snorefest in 03.

I can actually see a Man. Utd and Chelsea final this year. For Chelsea third time will be the charm (Mourinho who?) and Barca is looking a bit wank at the moment.
"Bennett & Meyer are obviously the Ceti Eels introduced into the collective brain of Trekdom, leading to easy manipulation (TWOK), impaired cognitive functionality (TSFS), drooling (TVH), agonized death (TFF) and extended post-mortem twitching (TUC).
Daedalus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2008, 08:34 AM   #36
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Best case scenario - Liverpool Vs Man Utd, but I'd settle for anything other than Chelsea Vs Man Utd.

Still have a feeling that Barcelona will make it to the final though.
Old April 10 2008, 09:50 AM   #37
Starkers
Admiral

NX_01 Mark wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post
Mark, if Forest don't go up I reckon you will have a derby next year because I really can see Leicester going down.
To be honest most FOREST fans don't care about Leicester City though they seem to have a local rival with us. They are like the cousin, who no one talks or cares about
Ha ha, I think that's a fair assesment. At the end of the day both Derby and Forest fans know who their true rivals are. Me, I wouldn't care too much if Leicester fell all the way to L2 and beyond, but I miss being able to play Forest.

Like Dr Evil and Asutin Powers Forest are the snake to our mongoose!

Old April 10 2008, 11:41 AM   #38
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Leicester fans just can't deal with the fact that as far as East Midlands football goes, they've always been on the periphery. Derby and Forest rule the East Midlands. Even now, with Forest in League 1, they mean more to us than Leicester ever will.

Leicester should cultivate their rivalry with Coventry. That's more their level.....
Old April 10 2008, 11:48 AM   #39
Starkers
Admiral

Yeah, Coventry or Northampton Town anyway!

Old April 10 2008, 04:36 PM   #40
HRHTheKING
Fleet Captain

Hmmm

Tom Hicks has "asked" Rick Parry to resign as Chief Executive of LFC.

I agree with Hicks here. Parry is piss poor at developing Liverpool as a brand and is notoriously slow with signing deals.

In unrelated news, why does Gerry Francis still have a mullet?
Old April 10 2008, 04:54 PM   #41
Jax
Admiral

HRHTheKING wrote: View Post
Hmmm

Tom Hicks has "asked" Rick Parry to resign as Chief Executive of LFC
I think Hicks, Gillet and Parry should all go but then I don't feel comfortable with DCI owning Liverpool.
Old April 10 2008, 05:18 PM   #42
HRHTheKING
Fleet Captain

Well DIC have announced their withdrawal from the ownership situation today.

They say they will come back when Hicks and Gillett sort out their problems.
Old April 10 2008, 08:13 PM   #43
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

What a great situation.

Hicks wants Parry to resign because he fears that he's siding with Gillett. If Parry won't resign then Hicks needs Gillett's support to sack him.

Something tells me that Tom Hicks may be waiting for a while......

Sporting 0 Rangers 2

Great performance from Rangers, and a fantastic solo effort from Whittaker to kill the game off.

Last edited by Angel4576; April 10 2008 at 09:39 PM.
Angel4576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2008, 12:49 AM   #44
Jax
Admiral

^ I just got back in to see the Rangers 2nd goal, stunning.

I would love to see them win it but can't see anyone but BAYERN MUNICH winning the UEFA Cup after a thrilling encounter with Getafe.
Old April 11 2008, 02:37 AM   #45
oojason
Commander

[quote=Angel4576;1520655]What a great situation.

Hicks wants Parry to resign because he fears that he's siding with Gillett. If Parry won't resign then Hicks needs Gillett's support to sack him.

Something tells me that Tom Hicks may be waiting for a while......

quote]

Hicks can want parry to resign all he wants - as the current LFC board stands like this - Hicks & son vs Gillet & son & Parry & Moores

2 vs 4 - and a distinct possibility of the board (majority) voting for no dividends to be given to themselves - which would put Hicks in somewhat of a quandry - no money coming in from the club, yet a £30million debt (or his share of) to service the interest on the takeover-loan to find.

Personally Parry should go (after he has served his purpose in isolating Hicks so that we may get new owners - DIC) - he's been far too inept for far too long and a complete idiot for not checking out how Hicks has made his money from leveraged buyouts or insisting on an iron-clad takeover contract that would've protected the club from being plunged into debt... let alone his other failures re ticketing, merchandise, the new stadium, investors, etc
oojason is offline   Reply With Quote