Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old April 8 2008, 05:44 PM   #16
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

HRHTheKING wrote: View Post
Derby are diabolical.
I wonder if Starkers prefers them in the premiership losing most of their matches or in the Championship winning most of them. If I am a fan I think I'd prefer the latter.
"Bennett & Meyer are obviously the Ceti Eels introduced into the collective brain of Trekdom, leading to easy manipulation (TWOK), impaired cognitive functionality (TSFS), drooling (TVH), agonized death (TFF) and extended post-mortem twitching (TUC).
Daedalus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2008, 09:58 PM   #17
Jax
Admiral

Liverpool 4-2 Arsenal (5-3)...

That was a proper game of football and I loved it even more because my house mate is a Arsenal fan so he can stop having such a big ego now

Walcott's run was pure brilliance and after last week, it was a very ironic penalty but I felt Liverpool just had that little bit extra which Wenger fails to bring ou of his players in Europe and I think we will see a Liverpool/Man Utd FINAL.
Old April 8 2008, 10:23 PM   #18
Hitman
Vice Admiral

View Hitman's Twitter Profile

A Liverpool - Man Utd final would be just perfect.
Old April 9 2008, 12:25 AM   #19
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

Great game today between Arsenal and Liverpool. Arsenal started the hungrier side but let Liverpool back in, to be honest. And why Liverpool can't bring their European form to the Premiership I'll never know.

Assuming Man Utd dispatches Roma tomorrow, chances are looking better that an all-English final is on the cards. Personally I'd love to see it; I think it'd be miles better than the all-Italian snorefest of 2003. But I can see why the purists are against it....it does defeat the purpose of this competition.

I think there will be a Liverpool v. Barcelona final. I loathe Barca and I want to see them get their asses handed to them, but sides like them have a knack for surviving, and the Wunderkind in Perpetual Need of a Haircut (Messi) will surely conjure up something to see them past Man Utd in the semis, I think.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2008, 11:15 AM   #20
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Fantastic game. Probably the best all-English game in the Champions League so far.

Over the two legs there wasn't really a great to choose between the two sides, but probably, just about, Liverpool deserved it. They were more dogged in defence, and showed more focus in terms of not conceding right after they'd scored. Arsenal played some fantastic attacking/passing football in the first half an hour, but once Liverpool equalised, their fragile confidence came to the fore again. A shame really, as they've graced the competition again this season.

So, Liverpool Vs Chelsea. Again. Liverpool are probably better than in their previous meetings, and Chelsea possibly worse, so, watch Chelsea go and win now!

In the other one, it's looking like Man Utd Vs Barcelona, which potentially, could be another cracker.

Whichever way you look at it, we should get a decent final this year again.

Re Derby, Woeful. Even, as a Derby fan, I'll readily admit, that from memory, the current side must be the worst team to ever play in the Premier League, and proves what many people theorised at the end of last season, that really, we should never have come up.

I'm sure that Paul Jewell will make wholesale changes in the close season and over the summer. We have the money, we just need to offload the dead wood, of which, there is a considerable amount. Billy Davies certainly had an eye for spotting players that could perhaps overachieve in the Championship, but as far as the Premier League goes, he didn't have a clue. It's not all down to Davies though, there's plenty of blame to go around.

At the very least though, it could be worse. We're not Forest.....
Old April 9 2008, 11:33 AM   #21
HRHTheKING
Fleet Captain

A Liverpool vs Man U final would be fine, as long as LFC win.
Old April 9 2008, 12:04 PM   #22
Starkers
Admiral

Daedalus12 wrote: View Post
HRHTheKING wrote: View Post
Derby are diabolical.
I wonder if Starkers prefers them in the premiership losing most of their matches or in the Championship winning most of them. If I am a fan I think I'd prefer the latter.
Yeah I'm most definitely looking forward to the Championship, it'll be nice to win a game again!

I wouldn't say we were diabloical anymore, our major problem currently is scoring goals. Just look at recent games: we lost 1:0 away to Everton, with slow old man Darren Moore marking £11million Yakubu out of the game. We were unlucky to lose 1:0 to Man Utd, and on balance of play really should have beaten Fulham last week.
Will we go down as the worst Prem team ever? Possibly, but I suspect there are a few surprises still to come before the season ends. But even if we do, I guarentee we won't be the worst team for long. Bristol City? Hull? Stoke?
End of the day though we go down richer than we were last time in the CCC, with a far better manager who has a record of not only getting teams promoted but keeping them up.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2008, 12:07 PM   #23
Starkers
Admiral

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
Or worse still, we could be Leicester!!

Old April 9 2008, 12:10 PM   #24
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
Who?
Old April 9 2008, 12:14 PM   #25
Starkers
Admiral

Who?
Ouch!

I think they're that L1 team we sent Stevie Howard and MAtty Oakley too!

Old April 9 2008, 12:26 PM   #26
Jax
Admiral

We're not Forest.....
ooo Low blow

Will be happy to have a Forest/Derby game if we get promoted cause we have no real local rivals in League 1, which sucks.
Old April 9 2008, 12:35 PM   #27
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

I think they're that L1 team we sent Stevie Howard and MAtty Oakley too!
Oh yes, the Derby Retirement Home XI, I remember now.....

NX_01 Mark wrote: View Post
Will be happy to have a Forest/Derby game if we get promoted cause we have no real local rivals in League 1, which sucks.
Well there's good news and bad news for you I'm afraid Mark. Bad news, you won't be getting out of League 1 this year. The top two slots are pretty much gone to Swansea and Carlisle, and with Leeds slipping into the playoffs, as much as it pains me to say, they'll probably come up. On the brighter side, the good news, you'll still get to play us in the Brian Clough Trophy, which we obviously, currently hold......
Old April 9 2008, 01:45 PM   #28
Jax
Admiral

NX_01 Mark wrote: View Post
Well there's good news and bad news for you I'm afraid Mark. Bad news, you won't be getting out of League 1 this year. The top two slots are pretty much gone to Swansea and Carlisle, and with Leeds slipping into the playoffs, as much as it pains me to say, they'll probably come up. On the brighter side, the good news, you'll still get to play us in the Brian Clough Trophy, which we obviously, currently hold......[/quote]

After watching us fail with our last two playoffs (League Champ & League One)...I've noticed when we gain a 2 goal advantage in the tie, we lose so we need not to score so many early on, hows that for a plan
Old April 9 2008, 02:05 PM   #29
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

I must admit, I've still got the Yeovil second leg on Sky+ from last season!
Old April 9 2008, 02:12 PM   #30
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

and with Leeds slipping into the playoffs, as much as it pains me to say, they'll probably come up.
I know everyone in the UK outside of Yorkshire hates us, so I'll let that slide (why, I've yet to determine. Rowdy fans that sometimes act like asses? Doesn't every club have that bad element? Hell, at least we have better support than Middlesbrough week after week, and we're in League One). I'm American so few people know the Leeds shirt, and everyone else just likes Man Utd and Chelsea.

Anyway, though I fervently hope we'll go up this year, I don't think it will happen unless we get our 15 points back. We're in the playoff places, sure, but we collapse in the run-in to the end of the season every year.

The way I think about it, sure it hurts to be out of the top flight, but I'd rather the club spends some seasons in the lower leagues stabilizing itself than be one of the yo-yo teams that constantly get promoted one year and relegated the next. Year after year. No disrespect to Derby, but I'd hate to get to the Premer League just to get thrashed every week. I remember how it felt to get relegated twice.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote