Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old April 1 2008, 01:13 PM   #1
Jax
Admiral

(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

I think the different threads has run its course and theres no real need for it anymore, now that we have a pure sport section so the threads are in no real danger of disappearing amongst the dozens and dozens of threads we used to have back when it was in the Miscellaneous section.

So this thread is designed to talk about the UEFA side of football for us Europeans and fans of football this side of the world and will last hopefully till at least end of May when the major football leagues end there seasons along with the finals of the UEFA Cup and UEFA Champions League. I will stick up a different thread come end of May for EURO 2008 as well.

Best way to start is the upcoming FINAL 8 - CL fixtures which are due to play there 1st legs tonight and tommorow...

Roma vs. Man Utd
Schalke vs. Barcelona
Arsenal vs, Liverpool
Fenerbache vs. Chelsea

Personally I still feel that Man Utd will win the CL but will most likely only get a draw tonight against ROMA (1-1)

Barcelona should walk over the germans and win both legs fairly comfortable but there form is patchy lately with only 1 win in 7 games.

Arsenal and Liverpool is a close one to call but I do feel the London club should be too strong for Liverpool. I think Arsenal will lose the away leg but should win the 1st home leg by a decent enough score to get through to the semi final.

I don't think Chelsea will win in Turkey but there home form should see them through.
Old April 1 2008, 04:21 PM   #2
Jax
Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

A little bit of breaking news...

Portuguese giants, FC PORTO are being investigated for match fixing during the 2003/2004 season which saw them win there own League Title and the UEFA Champions League.
The match fixing is only for games in there own domestic league but if found guilty, they would be stripped of the 2004 European Title by UEFA like Marseille who lost the 1992 cup in the same fashion.
If found guilty, they would be relegated by the Portuguese FA according to reports and also forefit this season's title.
Old April 1 2008, 10:34 PM   #3
Hitman
Vice Admiral

View Hitman's Twitter Profile

They won't be demoted, but may lose six points if found guilty, which will never happen anyway. There is an on-going rumour about Porto fixing games since the early 90's. However, only now, after a former prostitute that was the loved of the club's president, blab out some shenanigans to the cops, after he dumped her. It's a soap opera...
Old April 2 2008, 12:17 PM   #4
Jax
Admiral

Well I must say despite letting Roma have more of the ball at times, apart from a 10 minute spell, Utd defence was fantastic and Ferdinand was world class. Rooney did very well and was a big part of the Ronaldo goal and of course he scored the 2nd.

Also a great idea by Fergie to let Rooney play on the flank to provide better defensive coverage and I still feel finally Man Utd will once again win the CL after 9 year wait.

Cannot wait for tonights match as well...

Arsenal vs. Liverpool
Old April 2 2008, 04:01 PM   #5
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

Man Utd. vs Liverpool in Moscow will be UEFA's worst nightmare. Imagine 40,000 mancs in proximity with 40,000 scousers and a good fraction of them will be drunk. Let the party begin.

As I said before I want to see an Arsenal/Barcelona final now that Roma is out.

Unfortunately Barca is in trouble right now so I don't see them beating SAF's current squad (which is the best he had imo ever) unless Rio pulls a groin or something like that...

Arsenal should pick themselves up against Liverpool. Player by player Arsenal is just much better although Rafa's nous for the European nights may prove too much for Wenger to handle but we'll see.

If Chelsea wins the final then the Mourinho fanatics at Stamford Bridge will be owned again by Avram Grant.

Either way this has been another exciting Champions league season despite my team being knocked out early this time.
"Bennett & Meyer are obviously the Ceti Eels introduced into the collective brain of Trekdom, leading to easy manipulation (TWOK), impaired cognitive functionality (TSFS), drooling (TVH), agonized death (TFF) and extended post-mortem twitching (TUC).
Daedalus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2008, 05:53 PM   #6
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

Liverpool v. Arsenal.

Tough one tonight (leaving work mid day to watch it live). Despite Arsenal's performance over the weekend, I think that said as much about Bolton's sorry state of affairs as it does Arsenal's fight. Beating 'Pool three times over such a short period of time is a tall order for any team, but with two of the games at Emirates, where Arsenal don't lose, I think they can tip the scales in their favor.

My prediction:
Arsenal 1 'Pool 0 (UEFA at Emirates)
Arsenal 2 'Pool 1 (League at Emirates)
Arsenal 2 'Pool 2 (UEFA at Anfield)

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2008, 02:44 AM   #7
oojason
Commander

Superb strike from Fenerbahce's Devid tonight vs Chelsea - esp after he scored the own goal to give Chelsea the lead early on. Fair play to them for coming from behind to win - should be an interesting return leg.

Arsenal-Liverpool was a strange game - Arsenal had most of the possession and chances yet didn't seem to create quite enough. Unlucky not to get a penalty when Kuyt's arm wrapped around Hleb in the area, a surreal clearance from Bentner when a goal looked certain, and a couple of last ditch tackles thwarting the Arsenal attack.

That away goal for Liverpool (top work by Gerrard and a tireless Kuyt) may prove decisive - an early goal for either side next week should make the game very interesting
oojason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2008, 05:32 PM   #8
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

Liverpool v. Arsenal
The lack of penalty call was shocking. Rarely do you pick up the papers the next day and see them all agree a penalty was iron clad, but today they do.

I think Bendtner was not trying to get out of the way but trying to flick Cesc's ball into the net and got it all wrong. It may not matter in the end - even if he managed to jump over it, it may have still gotten the offside call.

Liverpool's away goal may very well prove decisive. But, as counterintuitive as this may sound, I am more comfortable with Arsenal chasing the away goal at Anfield. Coming from behind is something they seem to excel at, protecting a lead, not so much. The downside of course is Robin v. Persie has re-injured his thigh leaving attacking options limited again.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2008, 05:47 PM   #9
Jax
Admiral

I quite enjoyed the Arsenal/Liverpool game but it was a clear penalty and for me Wenger should start Walcott in the 2nd leg. I feel Liverpool will win the tie though and probably make it to the final again.
Old April 4 2008, 07:22 AM   #10
HRHTheKING
Fleet Captain

Part Two tomorrow.

We need a good win at the Emirates because I think Everton will kill Derby.

If all goes well, I hope for a Barca vs LFC final, with LFC winning #6
Old April 4 2008, 04:55 PM   #11
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

I was shocked to see how tepid Roma were against Man Utd. Or maybe I shouldn't have been, given last season's 7-1 drubbing at Old Trafford?

It will be interesting to see how and if Chelsea overturns the 2-1 deficit to Fenerbahce. And unlike some pundits, I'm not counting Arsenal out yet. Liverpool have the away goal, but that tie is on a knife edge.

You can bet Platini is hoping that next week sees 3 English sides eliminated somehow.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2008, 11:45 AM   #12
Starkers
Admiral

HRHTheKING wrote: View Post
Part Two tomorrow.

Not quite

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2008, 08:42 PM   #13
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
Part Two tomorrow.

Not quite
You guys still lost though.
"Bennett & Meyer are obviously the Ceti Eels introduced into the collective brain of Trekdom, leading to easy manipulation (TWOK), impaired cognitive functionality (TSFS), drooling (TVH), agonized death (TFF) and extended post-mortem twitching (TUC).
Daedalus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2008, 04:39 PM   #14
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

Daedalus12 wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post
Part Two tomorrow.

Not quite
You guys still lost though.
Derby looks on pace to obliterate Sunderland's all-time lowest Premiership points haul. Ouch.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2008, 05:07 PM   #15
HRHTheKING
Fleet Captain

Derby are diabolical.